What to replace zip ties with?

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
My Mooney has got a whole load of zip ties under the cowl and I would very much like to get rid of them and replace them with something else - but what? Adele Clamps?

How about High Temp Zip Ties? Adel clamps are certainly more durable but you still have to keep an eye on the cushions and they aren't as versatile as zip ties. To get things truly secured a combination of both is the best solution. Anything you put in there is going to require periodic inspections due to the high heat and vibrations of the environment.

Adels, 10-32 screws, self locking nuts, lacing cord, F4 tape, (cessna citation) small plastic standoffs are my favorite choices.

All else fails, a bit of F4 tape and a zip tie.

Oh yea I forgot the F4 tape, also known as TGL. That stuff is absolutely fabulous.

I hate adel clamps

There I said it!

They aren't bad when you can get to them to hold the ends together while starting the fasteners, but only infrequently is that the case, and the rubber rots away and I never seem to have the right size, and, and and...

I actually like zip ties, when the ends are cut off right (flush cutters) they aren't sharp removing one big gripe, and not using them on unprotected engine mounts removes another.

For stringing wires along a mount I have fallen in love with F4 tape.

Lacing is nice on long runs as the loops are quick so you can cover a long distance with ease.

Just don't put zip-ties on the aluminum oil return tubes on Lycomings. They will loosen and eat right through the tubes.

Just don't put zip-ties on the aluminum oil return tubes on Lycomings. They will loosen and eat right through the tubes.

Lycomings essentially self destruct as the baffle springs (if equipped) chafe those tubes.

I'm thinking pliers and baling wire. Temp doesn't bother the wire. Your in Nebraska now!

x2 on the bailing wire ... don't use barbed wire, tho ... almost as bad as the sharp ends on zip ties :lol:

Can get 6,500 feet or baling wire for bout $75 at Tractor Supply

Baling twine is a ton cheaper tho, like $40 for 16,000 feet.

Last edited:
I used ptfe split tubing to wrap my ignition cables. Rated to 500 degrees.

All the zip ties were removed from metal parts under the cowling. Adel clamps and F4 tape.
There are some zip ties on wire bundles, but very very few.

Lycomings essentially self destruct as the baffle springs (if equipped) chafe those tubes.

You have to tie a bit of split 3/8" hose on each tube to prevent that.

Dan

Back