What to look for

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
I found a deal on a Bellanca Cruisair. And was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. It's a '47 model 14-13 with the 150hp Franklin. It comes with a fresh top overhaul.
Anyone know what to look for specific to the airplane? I plan to go look at it next week.

No help here on what to look for...just a comment...beautiful old airplanes! I got to fly in one a few times when I was working in Hazlehurst, GA. The airport manager owned it.

The only thing model specific I recall him telling me was that it was really tough to insure.

Now that I look again...I think his was a Cruisemaster, not a Cruisair. Similar looks.

Last edited:
Wood rot primarily, it's easier to smell for than look for. Stick your nose in the access covers and sniff, if you smell a sweet antifreeze like smell, walk away. Also tap the wings in a pattern and listen, you'll hear something not right.

I've always heard lots of cautions when considering a Bellanca, now we are going back to 1947. It must be a good price?

After the initial look, if you still are interested I'd find someone who knows the type well to evaluate it.

I remember years ago a guy who bought an older Mooney. He got it home and hit the stops when it couldn't pass the 1st annual, to much corrosion inside the wings. The last I heard he and the seller were going at it via attorneys.

Yes, different type, just relating a tale.

I'd join the type club. Usually you can get some information from the club or at least a line on a fairly local type-savvy pilot or mechanic who can advise you.

It's very old. If only two or three owned it, it was always hangared, never injured, all logs in order since new, and a very good mechanic familiar with this aircraft has gone over it carefully, then maybe. Stearman I owned had decent wood in the wings but one lower wing had a cracked spar that my mechanic caught. Cost quite a bit to fix. It's very hard to access damage to wooden wings, unless the covering is off and they are inspected carefully. Unless you are very careful in your inspection process, , an aircraft like this could kill you quickly. It's OLD!

Back