What to look for in a high time plane?

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
I am comparing two Cessna 182s from the '70s; one has 5,000 and the other one has 14,000 hrs. If I do a pre-buy on the one with many hours, what do we look for that is different from the low time one?

Is there an air frame limit on C182s?

Thank you

Cracks, patches, loose rivets, fresh paint that hides smoking rivets, corrosion. Is there a limit? Cessna leans that way but without a finite number. Read the applicable SID and you decide.

Cracks, patches, loose rivets, fresh paint that hides smoking rivets, corrosion. Is there a limit? Cessna leans that way but without a finite number. Read the applicable SID and you decide.

Sorry, no idea what a SID is. Are you saying that Cessna or FAA may decide to limit the number of hours on the air frame?

My 81 has ~11,400 on it. Still has the original paint on it and could pass for a 1,400 hour plane with the exception of a few spots on the leading edges. If it was gov owned, I wouldn't think twice.
IMG_4531 2.jpg
16.jpg

Sorry, no idea what a SID is. Are you saying that Cessna or FAA may decide to limit the number of hours on the air frame?
Cessna published Supplemental Inspection Documents for their GA models several years ago. They have inspection and non destructive testing instructions that go beyond normal maintenance. The procedures are based on age and/or accrued time in service. Some countries require the inspections but the FAA doesn't. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea or at the very least a good educational tool for what the manufacturer thinks should be addressed in our old airplanes.

These airplanes (Cessnas, Pipers) were a mass produced consumer product, like Chevs and Fords. I don't think anybody expected so many of them to still be flying all these decades later. It's a testament to both the original product, and the owners and airplane maintenance people that there are.

The condition of high timers is directly related to the attitude of the previous owners to the maintenance. Things like steel control cables, pulleys, fairleads, bushings, bearings, fatigue cracks on skins, brackets & hinge attachments are the sort of things to look for, that are often less concerning on lower time airplanes.. If the prior owners paid attention to age-related maintenance you could gave a good airplane. If they didn't, well...

Old hangar gossip is to examine the firewall closely on 182s - it is said folks tend to prang the nose heavy pig on the nose gear, and that bends the firewall.

I have not owned a 182, but have flown them a good deal - I can't say I noticed them to be that nise heavy - they do handle pigs, and the vis sucks. . .

Back