What to look at?

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
So what do you really need to look at when buying a used aircraft? Like I already know about the missions and all that but what about engine stuff? Like overhaul and all that? Anyone want to help out? Thanks!

You want to get a good mechanic to look over everything for you.

Long story short - it depends on the airplane.

Skyports mechanic Ray Clausen is a good guy, he also maintains CAF airplanes. He would be a good place to start.

You want to get a good mechanic to look over everything for you.

Long story short - it depends on the airplane.

Skyports mechanic Ray Clausen is a good guy, he also maintains CAF airplanes. He would be a good place to start.

Well I would really love to fly a DA40! I really love the visibility on that plane! I was looking at some on controller and trade a plane and some of them looked like a good deal. Still was confused on the engine stuff. But I would agree with you on the mechanic part. When I start looking for a plane I will definitely be taking a mechanic with me!

So what do you really need to look at when buying a used aircraft? Like I already know about the missions and all that but what about engine stuff? Like overhaul and all that? Anyone want to help out? Thanks!

I start by looking at the exhaust and seeing how much residue and what color it is, that tells me how the engine gets run, then I look at the hours and how many between annuals, that tells me how often it gets run and how much it's been run (and sat). That's baseline information to work off of to give me an idea (depending on the model of engine) of what kind of maintenance issues I can expect. It's a multi variable equation with a large fudge factor, you're basically making odds, nothing solid. A nearly new engine could fail on the way home, a past TBO engine could go another 2000. Different components have different issues as well even between brands of the same thing.

I start by looking at the exhaust and seeing how much residue and what color it is, that tells me how the engine gets run, then I look at the hours and how many between annuals, that tells me how often it gets run and how much it's been run (and sat). That's baseline information to work off of to give me an idea (depending on the model of engine) of what kind of maintenance issues I can expect. It's a multi variable equation with a large fudge factor, you're basically making odds, nothing solid. A nearly new engine could fail on the way home, a past TBO engine could go another 2000. Different components have different issues as well even between brands of the same thing.

Could you expound on the residue color inspection and how you judge your findings?

Pretty much everything. You'd be well advised to find someone who's very anal to do your Prebuy. A number of people I know have bought a plane overlooking some major items, and have spent a ridiculous amount of money afterwards on it. Then they wonder why they got priced out of aviation.

I would use a mechanic who is familiar with the brand of aircraft you are interested in. Also talk with the mechanic and discuss what you think should be checked,and listen to the mechanic to see what he thinks is important.

Could you expound on the residue color inspection and how you judge your findings?

The darker it is, the richer it is. Black equals excessively rich and carbon deposits and possible ring washout or gummed up stuck issues. If it's a dark tan/buckskin color, it's been running hard with high CHTs. If it's a light beige-grey/white it's been run LOP. This gives me an indicator on cylinder condition.

Generally the fuel tanks should be kept full to prevent condensation/water in the tanks, so if they're not full, I would suspect the fuel tanks leak.

Back