What to learn next?

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
So, I've been thinking about all the different aviation-related things I could learn to do next, and I got to thinking. Multi-engine? Why, unless I plan to buy a multi, which I doubt I'll do any time soon. Complex/HP? Well, I fly an Archer, so why waste the time/money until I decide to step up to a bigger/faster plane. Everything I can think of seems like spending money on stuff that would be cool, but not really benefit my as a pilot, in my current plane.

So, that narrowed it down to two things. Basic aerobatics/upset recovery training, or A/P.

I'd love to do the aerobatic stuff, but I think I'll wait until I lose a bit more weight and can fit in them little cockpits better. That leaves A/P.

So the questions are:

1. How hard is it to get your A/P?
2. What's involved?
3. If I get my A/P, does that mean that I can legally work on my own plane?
4. Can I really save a lot of money in the long run?

I'm fairly mechanically minded, and good with tools, but never been terribly interested in working on cars/engines/etc... I enjoy it when I do that kind of work, especially when doing it with friends. (Like my brother, who loves that stuff.) I also think it would make me a better aviator to have a better understanding of how everything in my plane works.

Pilot ratings are a piece of cake compared to earning the mechanic rating. All you need is money and a little patience for a pilot certificate.

The requirements for earning a mechanic certificate are in FAR part 65. Essentially you're going to have to apprentice full time for 30 months performing work on both airframes and powerplants to qualify to take the requisite tests, or you're going to have to graduate from an approved tech school to qualify. Then you take the three written tests and have an oral and practical test which will probably last all day.

You can work on your own plane, but you'll still need an inspection authorization to sign off major repairs and do annuals.

If you want some training that would be beneficial and is relatively cheap I'd look into some tailwheel training. Some seaplane training might be beneficial too, but I'd say less so than improving your stick and rudder skills through the tailwheel work.

Glider add on is relatively inexpensive and helps out those stick and rudder skills and energy management skills.

Build a kit plane.

Yeah, and A&P is way too much time for those of us with a full time job. On the other hand as Sundancer mentions, building an E/AB may be a good option. It also lets you do your condition inspections without an IA.

You could build something like a Velocity or an RV-10 to replace your Archer. Or you could build something like a MiniMax, Hummelbird, or CX-4 as an additional, cheap plane that you can fly for fun on days when you don't need the extra seats.

Why not just fly? You can always tinker on a kit and build an experimental without becoming an A&P.

Given where you live, a glider rating is a nice possibility.

I like that idea. And my AME insists it will make me a better pilot. But again, I think I'd better lose a few more pounds before squeezing into a glider!
Build a kit plane.

I rather like that idea. What would be a good kit plane that would get me, my wife, and 100lbs of luggage across the sky better than the Archer. I'd love to have something faster, and more comfortable. And the idea of being able to take care of it myself is a big plus. I suppose I could get another hangar to do the build, or get a bigger hangar so there is room for both planes. And I'd have my brother and nephew to help. Seems like it would be fun. Any idea how many hours it takes to build something?

I did some more investigating of the requirements to become an A/P. Yikes! No wonder they charge $100/hr and up!

I like that idea. And my AME insists it will make me a better pilot. But again, I think I'd better lose a few more pounds before squeezing into a glider!

I'm not exactly a small guy, but I can fit in gliders at Byron, even with another fat guy in there as well. I can't wear a parachute, but it's not really necessary.

If you're already PPL and IFR, get the commercial.

The insurance companies seem to like it, it (should) include multi, and will open the door to maybe part-time teaching if you choose to do the CFI.

A&P is a big time commitment with more oversight after the certificate. Unless you homebuild (as someone recommended) you'll pay a LOT more getting your A&P than you'll ever save on maintaining your own plane.

Ravioli runs for cover now...............

Glider add on is relatively inexpensive and helps out those stick and rudder skills and energy management skills.
...and teaches a lot about weather and turbulence that you can apply to all of your flying. It always amazed me how many pilots fly on the bumpy side of thunderstorms rather than the smooth side. ;)

I rather like that idea. What would be a good kit plane that would get me, my wife, and 100lbs of luggage across the sky better than the Archer. I'd love to have something faster, and more comfortable. And the idea of being able to take care of it myself is a big plus. I suppose I could get another hangar to do the build, or get a bigger hangar so there is room for both planes. And I'd have my brother and nephew to help. Seems like it would be fun. Any idea how many hours it takes to build something?

The time to build a plane runs between 200 hours to 4000 hours and three months to 10 years (or more). They range from ultralights to four place retractable, singles to twins and even a guy who built a single place B-17 Scale version.

Get a copy of Kit Planes magazine annual list of kits and just take a look.

Cheers

Why build when you already own? Have you landed all the airports in your state? Have you landed an island? Flown in the mountains?

If the Archer is stale why not step up to a complex? There are lots to be had for the money your Archer would bring. Or if you really are that into the mechanical world, you don't have to be an A&P to work on airplanes. You just have to be friends with one.

I'm seriously falling in love with that Velocity Twin.

What's the longest cross country you've gone on, if you haven't don't over a couple thousand, that would be a good one.

Fly to South America would be good.

Do some backcountry work.

I'm seriously falling in love with that Velocity Twin.

Not many of those flying... Lancair piston Evolution if you want to haul ass in a 2 place. RV-14 is also a solid pick. I'm building a 10 and both loving it and hating it at the same time.

Back