What to get?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Haven't had one of these threads in while! I find myself in an enviable situation. A friend / colleague as a thank you for doing a major for him is insisting on getting me an aviation gift to the tune of $1,000 to $1,200.00. When I said major I meant MAJOR anyway. What to get? He suggested a pair of Bose or GPS perhpas the Lowrance 600C or 500. I can think of hundreds of things I'd like but really really want to put this gift to good use.

I have a pair of Light Speed 20XLCs, A flight Attache bag from sportys, The SP200 Transceiver. Not a bad problem to have. So what gets your vote?

A gift, of a pair of Bose headphones, delivered to your favorite Texas lawyer.

Think of the overwhelming feeling of gratitude you'd receive!

a membership and lotsa credit to your local glider club :)

AdamZ said:
.....things I'd like but really really want to put this gift to good use.

So what gets your vote?

Well, lemme see. 100 of my CDs at $10.00 per shot about does it. He would have a tax-deductible $1000.00 Donation factor; you could distribute 99 of them to your most influential friends. Everybody has a feel-good day.

HR (thought this up all by myself):rolleyes:

L'Chaim!

Attachments

• 020_20.JPG
    020_20.JPG
    514.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 019_19.JPG
    019_19.JPG
    537.5 KB · Views: 7
I second the Bose as a no go. Those things are great, but about $500 of the price of those is in the name. Totally overpriced.
I think getting a few years worth of subscriptions for charts might be good. Or you could cruise up to Niagara Falls, get a room for a night, dinner, breakfast and cruise back home again, and probably have enough change left over to buy a banjo and drop it out of the plane from 7500'.

Adam, I disagree with those who bad-mouthed the Bose. I use them in both the Cherokee and the R22, and our R44 will have them at all four seats.

The noise reduction probably isn't any better than Lightspeeds, but the comfort level is MUCH better -- light weight and very little clamping force.

They're worth every penny!

AdamZ said:
What to get?

Enviable position!

I'd go with some block time at one of the local FBO's. I'm sure if you walked in and plunked down $1000 up front, you'd get a decent discount on the hourly rate!

As an alternate, you could just hold a no cost fly-in, complete with food and beverages for all of your aviation buddies who have provided the years of support, friendship and encouragement! :D

Gary

If you don't have an ENC headset I'd get one of those. Personally, I'm partial to David Clark products and, based on the articles I've read, their new headset is lighter and very much updated. I think I saw the list price as under $900.

Len

Adam. Put it towards a Garmin 396. Refurbs are going for ~$1795. You'll be able to get Metars and inflight Nexrad with the basic XM plan.

Anthony said:
Adam. Put it towards a Garmin 396. Refurbs are going for ~$1795. You'll be able to get Metars and inflight Nexrad with the basic XM plan.

I second Anthony's recommendation. This is something you'll use for East Coast IMC.

Jim G

Always go for experiences. Spend it on a trip with the folks by air, or the aforementioned Stearman time. Or get a Glider rating, or get a Seaplane rating. Or get a TW endorsement, in a Stearman.
Or maybe use it to pay for the prebuy on a new plane.:yes:

IMHO pilots are too concerned about the junk you can fill a cockpit up with. It's about the journey, not the junk that keeps you fiddling during the trip.

wesleyj said:
go for the GPS, that is all that you dont have

Bose grossly overrated and over priced. not a nickel better than your lightspeed.

WHAT!!! Bose is the best investment in aviation i have ever made. Hands down.

I gotta say ditto on Rob's post - something that you wouldn't normally do - seaplane, tail dragger, fighter plane, etc ...

gkainz said:
I gotta say ditto on Rob's post - something that you wouldn't normally do - seaplane, tail dragger, fighter plane, etc ...

Yep. Go for something fun Adam! :blueplane:

gkainz said:

Seaplane rating there you go...AFAIK the Philadelphia seaplane base is still up and running...you should be able to fit the rating in before it gets too cold...a few hours in a Cub on straight floats plus the check ride, you'll probably have some change left over...it also counts for a BFR.

Len

glider rating counts for bfr too and, i feel, is more useful than seaplane. 1, its cheaper, 2 you can rent gliders solo easily

Take the $1000 and go to the bank. Ask for it back all in ones. If you can't figure the rest out, you've been married (or flying) too long. LOL

Back