What to do....

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I acquired and installed a carb temp/OAT gauge from Electronics International. On the sensor wires they had clearly marked "carb" and "OAT" which I made sure to hook up correctly. Much to my surprise when I turned it on, they were backwards. There is NO WAY I'm removing and re-routing the wires to the sensors and since it is up under the panel, I'm really reluctant to cut and splice under there. The easy fix is none at all, just realize that they are backwards but it will bug me every time I look at it. It has an electrical connection (not a spark chaser so I don't know what it is called) with pins on one side and holes on the other and you twist and lock the two together to connect the wires together...not much unlike a cannon plug)

Any suggestions?

You called EI yet? Sounds like they mislabeled them.

I need to get the serial number and to do that I leave for the hangar in a few minutes. Hopefully it can be fixed by one of those (remember when I said I'm not a spark chaser?) pin removal thingies and switch a couple of them around.

#1 Disconnect the gauge pigtail at the black circular plastic connector from the harness and drop the gauge out from behind the panel.
#2 Obtain tool to extract the contacts of the affected leads from the connector.
#3 Insert the contacts extracted in step #2 to the correct locations of the connector housing.
#4 If possible, reconnect the pigtail and ops check, then reinstall gauge in the airplane

http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/TE_AMP_Signal_Power.pdf

Do you need an IA for this?

Too bad it's not a Cirrus. You could have pulled the red handle and everything would have been fine after that... :rolleyes:

#1 Disconnect the gauge pigtail at the black circular plastic connector from the harness and drop the gauge out from behind the panel.
#2 Obtain tool to extract the contacts of the affected leads from the connector.
#3 Insert the contacts extracted in step #2 to the correct locations of the connector housing.
#4 If possible, reconnect the pigtail and ops check, then reinstall gauge in the airplane

http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/TE_AMP_Signal_Power.pdf

Brian....where did you find that?

The right thing to do would be to pull the harness out through the instrument panel hole after you disconnect it from the gauge pigtail and relocate the contacts on the harness half of the connector.

It could be easier to relocate the contacts on the gauge pigtail connector.

One is a plug the other is a receptacle, I for get which is on what parts (harness or gauge pigtail)

I'm pretty sure there is a part number printed on the gauge's connector. That part number should bring you to that manual I posted and it should be a Tyco Electronics Amp CPC series 1 connector. That connector uses size 16 contacts and EI uses open barrel crimp type. If you google an appropriate contact part # and open up a mouser link it should give you a list of tools applicable to the contact. I came up with this

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=5CBbtQK5v6Vx%2bPkJ3r/Ybw==

Do your homework because that may not be the right one.

Gotta come clean on this one. They weren't labeled incorrectly. I never expected the carb temp to be so much lower than outside air. Its working just fine.

I didn't have to admit this but hey, if I'm being a dumbass I'll call myself out.

LOL, everyone makes mistakes. But keep in mind that carb icing would not be an issue at 70 degree outside temps if the carp temps were not significantly lower than outside air temp.

I was basing this on after then engine was shut down and the carb was warm, I expected it to be warmer than the outside air temp. It wasn't.

I kinda screwed up too. The first step in troubleshooting reported squawks is to confirm they exist.

You didn't screw up Brian, you were just going on the information you had. Don't ever trust me. :(

Back