What to do?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Bit of a long story, here's the situation (all this took place over several months): Went to avionics shop for troubleshooting of a problem with a Century III autopilot. Decided to change out a few Winchester connectors associated with the trim amp. A tech R&R'd connectors and noted trim only worked in one direction. New diagnosis was that the trim amp was suddenly bad.

Trim amp sent out for overhaul. Trim amp came back and trim still worked in only one direction. New diagnosis was that the trim servo was bad. Trim servo was replaced with my spare. I sent the "failed" servo off for repair. Manual electric and auto trim still worked in only one direction. Trim amp returned for warranty repair.

Trim amp reinstalled and problem remained. I recovered the aircraft from the shop and did my own troubleshooting. Found wires were crossed when the Winchester connectors were replace. Uncrossed the wires and magically the electric trim and autotrim work. Also receive trim servo back with repair not required and recertification paperwork.

Sent original shop payment only for original Winchester connector repair work with long explanation that they were responsible for trim amp failure (crossed wires) and needless trim servo replacement labor. Explanation supported by paperwork from shop that tested and re-certified the trim servo. They also had paperwork which showed nothing was wrong with trim amp. Original shop sent back a check to cover the trim servo work.

Now the question. Do I accept the check? On one hand it does make me whole for having a spare trim servo that is certified. On the other hand I could have stopped the trim servo work at the bench test stage and spent a couple hundred less on having the servo recertified. It was my choice to have the servo re-certified. Obviously the original avionics shop is trying to do the right thing but are they erring on the side of caution? I want to do the right thing and don't want to take advantage of the shop even though they caused me much grief in this matter. My heart says let it go since the shop didn't intentionally screw up but the accountant in me says take the money.

The check is minor in terms of aviation maintenance. What do you folks think?

Do the right thing, especially since the first shop is trying to do just that.

Owning an airplane, no matter what we do, financially it's a losing proposition if it is not part of our livelihood. Forget it, it won't be the last time your bird will cost you unnecessary money. We know this going in, why lose sleep over a few hundred dollars?

Follow your heart, it knows what is best for you. The trouble with this short life we are issued is we have to live with ourselves the whole time. Then there is that jerk in the mirror every morning making us feel guilty and all.

John

Sounds to me like they are straight shooters who value the relationship, know they screwed up and want to make it right. I'd cash the check, write them a letter expressing my appreciation for the way they handled it and, assuming they are usually reliable, be prepared to use them again and say nice things about them to others.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

Bit of a long story, here's the situation (all this took place over several months): Went to avionics shop for troubleshooting of a problem with a Century III autopilot. Decided to change out a few Winchester connectors associated with the trim amp. A tech R&R'd connectors and noted trim only worked in one direction. New diagnosis was that the trim amp was suddenly bad.

Trim amp sent out for overhaul. Trim amp came back and trim still worked in only one direction. New diagnosis was that the trim servo was bad. Trim servo was replaced with my spare. I sent the "failed" servo off for repair. Manual electric and auto trim still worked in only one direction. Trim amp returned for warranty repair.

Trim amp reinstalled and problem remained. I recovered the aircraft from the shop and did my own troubleshooting. Found wires were crossed when the Winchester connectors were replace. Uncrossed the wires and magically the electric trim and autotrim work. Also receive trim servo back with repair not required and recertification paperwork.

Sent original shop payment only for original Winchester connector repair work with long explanation that they were responsible for trim amp failure (crossed wires) and needless trim servo replacement labor. Explanation supported by paperwork from shop that tested and re-certified the trim servo. They also had paperwork which showed nothing was wrong with trim amp. Original shop sent back a check to cover the trim servo work.

Now the question. Do I accept the check? On one hand it does make me whole for having a spare trim servo that is certified. On the other hand I could have stopped the trim servo work at the bench test stage and spent a couple hundred less on having the servo recertified. It was my choice to have the servo re-certified. Obviously the original avionics shop is trying to do the right thing but are they erring on the side of caution? I want to do the right thing and don't want to take advantage of the shop even though they caused me much grief in this matter. My heart says let it go since the shop didn't intentionally screw up but the accountant in me says take the money.

The check is minor in terms of aviation maintenance. What do you folks think?

While I agree with John that you should "follow your heart", my heart would be fairly comfortable depositing the check. I'd probably also see if I could find a way to complement the shop publicly for owning up and covering your unnecessary expense for the work on the original servo. I don't see that you've gained much of anything. Before the fiasco you had a workable spare trim amp plus a working one in the plane and that's where you are right now. In addition you had to invest your own time and effort troubleshooting and fixing the problem created by the shop's mistake. Mistakes can and will be made but they also failed to make the correct diagnosis so there were really two mistakes. I can also say that if I were the shop owner I'd be perfectly OK with you keeping the money you paid for the work on the perfectly good amp and hope you would still be comfortable coming back next time.

Back