John Baker
Final Approach
- Joined
- Oct 4, 2008
- Messages
- 7,471
- Location
- San Diego, California
- Display Name
- John Baker
- Home Airfield
- KMYF
One of the reasons I've decided to sell my airplane, actually, the main reason, is that every year, since I've been flying, I've been required to go through very extensive pulmonary and cardiac testing by the FAA in OKC.
Between the doctors who take their sweet time, and the FAA, who is apparently overloaded, it takes months (always more than two) to get a special medical waiver. Every year, additional tests have been ordered.
Every year, I've always had a little better results than the previous years, so more and different tests. When they do send me my waiver, it is back dated to November, so I only get from eight to ten months a year to be a PIC.
Then, since I am now retired, I honestly should not be trying to support an airplane.
So yesterday, I drove out to El Cajon to the gun shop to drop off my Winchester 1894 for refurbishing. It's a half hour drive from my house in my gas guzzling Jeep, and the darn place was closed for inventory.
So I drove over to Gillespie to use the head at the flight school. The owner is seriously interested in buying my Warrior. So as he is working on me, my cell phone rings, and it's another flight school that had seen my plane and said they will buy it after they look over my airplane logs.
So now I have two flight schools wanting to buy the thing, that in my heart, I would really like to keep, while the sensible thing would be to sell it.
I get home, and in my mailbox is my special medical waiver, good to 2016.
I can't believe it, they have finally decided my local medical examiner can clear me to fly.
So now I can fly whenever I want, just like everyone else, except they want me to see him every twelve months with a report from my physician on my pulmonary functioning and any meds I am taking, not a big deal at all. I have to breath into a machine once a year.
So....now I've got to decide to sell it or keep it. I can afford it, I've got the money. I can also afford to fly around four or five hours a month, but it would put a damper on all the wild partying and such. Kidding, it would just mean I will have to live a little more frugally.
As I am working my way through this dissertation, I think my problem might just solved itself. If one of the flight schools buys it, then fine. If they don't, then fine.
Thanks for the help POA.
John
Between the doctors who take their sweet time, and the FAA, who is apparently overloaded, it takes months (always more than two) to get a special medical waiver. Every year, additional tests have been ordered.
Every year, I've always had a little better results than the previous years, so more and different tests. When they do send me my waiver, it is back dated to November, so I only get from eight to ten months a year to be a PIC.
Then, since I am now retired, I honestly should not be trying to support an airplane.
So yesterday, I drove out to El Cajon to the gun shop to drop off my Winchester 1894 for refurbishing. It's a half hour drive from my house in my gas guzzling Jeep, and the darn place was closed for inventory.
So I drove over to Gillespie to use the head at the flight school. The owner is seriously interested in buying my Warrior. So as he is working on me, my cell phone rings, and it's another flight school that had seen my plane and said they will buy it after they look over my airplane logs.
So now I have two flight schools wanting to buy the thing, that in my heart, I would really like to keep, while the sensible thing would be to sell it.
I get home, and in my mailbox is my special medical waiver, good to 2016.
I can't believe it, they have finally decided my local medical examiner can clear me to fly.
So now I can fly whenever I want, just like everyone else, except they want me to see him every twelve months with a report from my physician on my pulmonary functioning and any meds I am taking, not a big deal at all. I have to breath into a machine once a year.
So....now I've got to decide to sell it or keep it. I can afford it, I've got the money. I can also afford to fly around four or five hours a month, but it would put a damper on all the wild partying and such. Kidding, it would just mean I will have to live a little more frugally.
As I am working my way through this dissertation, I think my problem might just solved itself. If one of the flight schools buys it, then fine. If they don't, then fine.
Thanks for the help POA.
John


