What to do in Chicago in September

DeeG

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
DeeG
Spouse and I are headed to Chicago (Elmhurst, to be exact)) Sept 8-11, so he can take the Russian Kettlebell Club's instructor course. I'll be bored senseless while he is in class.

What kind of fun and exciting (and not terribly expensive) things are there to do there?

I will have a car (or motorcycle, not sure what were taking yet), so transportation isn't an issue.

Thanks,

Dee

Last edited:
Well, a PoA dinner isn't out of the question! I just wish you had given us a little more notice! :)

Of course, that doesn't help you during the day. There are the normal tourist museums, you can go flying, you can view the remains of Meigs FIeld, you can go flying, I think Six Flags should still be open, you can go flying, you can find something on http://www.explorechicago.org/, you can go flying, etc. I'm sure I can come up with other things to add to the list.

Leave. ;)

Kidding aside, Museum of Science and Industry would be tops on my list. The Shedd Aquarium is pretty impressive, and you can observe a moment of silence for Meigs while you're there (it's right at the north end of where Meigs was).

And, of course, be sure to eat a hot dog with lots of ketchup and a thin-crust pizza while you're there. ;)

I think a PoA gathering would be great! I'll make the trek... Pilot Pete's? 94th Aero Squadron? Branmoor?

Leave. ;)

Kidding aside, Museum of Science and Industry would be tops on my list. The Shedd Aquarium is pretty impressive, and you can observe a moment of silence for Meigs while you're there (it's right at the north end of where Meigs was).

And, of course, be sure to eat a hot dog with lots of ketchup and a thin-crust pizza while you're there. ;)

I think a PoA gathering would be great! I'll make the trek... Pilot Pete's? 94th Aero Squadron? Branmoor?
Yes, MSI is great. Field Museum (right next to the Shedd Aquarium), Art Institute of Chicago, DuSable Museum of African American History, the Smart Museum of Art, the Oriental Museum, we have a bunch of great cultural institutions. One of the Chicago architectural tours on the river. Tour Oak Park, and see a bunch of Frank Lloyd Wright houses, as well as some Hemingway memorabilia.

Just did Branmor's tonight, in fact. Any of those restaurants would be good. 94th is at Palwaukee (Chicago Executive) and they have a landing fee if you use one of the FBO's. I don't know ifyou can taxi directly to the restaurant. Schaumburg (Pilot Pete's) has no instrument approaches. Branmor's is at Clow, but really needs a ride to get over there, which we'd be more than happy to provide, or there's a courtesy car.

Chicago has really good thin crust pizza. But don't listen to the cheesehead about the ketchup thing, you'll get roughed up a bit:D:D

You got some of the big museums mentioned and I too would 2nd the MSI. It is a little bit of a haul from Elmhurst just so you know. Traffic in the Chicago area can be interesting and motorcycles in the city make for good targets by drivers who are mostly clueless and in a hurry. So be aware that you will need to drive very defensively.

Some stuff out by where you are going to be staying would be the Morton Arboretum, Cantigny museum, Long Grove. You can also kill a couple of hours at the Lynnfield Winery in Roselle. I highly recommend a PoA dinner at some point. Also back in the Chicago area there is the Art Institute which does have one of the best collections of impressionist art in the world outside of France.

Go get a hot dog and put ketchup on it.

Ummm...

Art Institute of Chicago
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
The Robert McCormick Museum (west suburbs).
I second all the museums mentioned.
The "Second City" on North Clark street (it's the ORIGINAL Second City improv).

LOVE museums! And ketchup is the ONLY acceptable condiment to put on a dog.

We'll probably end up taking the car. Doing central WA to IL in two days on a bike is doable, but not my idea of a good time. Especially if we stick to the slab. ~ugh~

Dinner sounds wonderful. I don't much care for liver or cauliflower, just so you know.

I swore way back when that I would never go to Chicago because of Meigs, but the only other level 1 instructor courses this year are in Italy and Budapest. I'd love to go to Europe, but can't afford it this year. :)

What's the weather like? And do they speak English there?

LOVE museums! And ketchup is the ONLY acceptable condiment to put on a dog.
Only if you are 5 years old or a cheesehead.

I swore way back when that I would never go to Chicago because of Meigs, but the only other level 1 instructor courses this year are in Italy and Budapest. I'd love to go to Europe, but can't afford it this year. :)
Elmhurst is not Chicago. Lots of stuff in the burbs to do.

What's the weather like? And do they speak English there?
WX is Sept is usually pretty nice. Anywhere from the 90s to the 40s. As for English the Chicagoans have some strange accents and words. Pop = Soda for instance.

I do understand that you need to go there for a rating...

We flew in 3 times a year on average and spent significant monies... He can go to heck before I will give that corrupt administration another cent...

denny-o

When does Chicago mayor Daley's term end? For those who may not know, he is not running for reelection.

Last edited:
Be sure to complete your elections ballots. Total of four, two each you and hubby. Residency is NOT a requirement.

But I think you meant in office.
Yep, my grandparents lived just of Diversy their whole lives. I was nearby in Iowa and downstate. Always easy to remember who was mayor. And then the son came along.

LOVE museums!

You should have a great time, then... Chicago has some of the best. (And I don't say positive things about Chicago often. ;))

And ketchup is the ONLY acceptable condiment to put on a dog.

Shhh! They'll hear you! :eek:

We'll probably end up taking the car. Doing central WA to IL in two days on a bike is doable, but not my idea of a good time. Especially if we stick to the slab. ~ugh~

When you see the way the cagers drive in Chicago, you won't regret bringing the car.

When you see the way the bikers drive in Chicago, you'll know why you never see one that looks older than 30. :hairraise:

What's the weather like?

In September, should be quite nice. Starting to cool down from the summer. Expect highs in the mid-70's and lows in the upper 50's and generally sunny weather that time of year. It will be much more humid than you're used to in central WA.

And do they speak English there?

Kinda. Dey speek chi-cago'un. It's kinda like English, so ya might be able to unnerstan it.

And do they speak English there?
They speak a dialect of English you may or may not understand, but if you know Polish you should have no problem.

Dee the whole trip may be moot at this point. According to what we are hearing on the TV Weather today, Chicago is about to be ripped off of the face of the earth with a huge storm coming through that is likely to kill people by the thousands and millions. This time Thursday Chicago may just be a memory, at least according to the local media.

It appears that the Warshawski and Sons auto parts store on Archer Ave. (AKA J.C. Whitney) is no longer there. Bummer.

It appears that the Warshawski and Sons auto parts store on Archer Ave. (AKA J.C. Whitney) is no longer there. Bummer.
Looks like they gave up on the city:
From their web site:
761 Progress Parkway
LaSalle, IL 61301
(Rt. 6 just West of Rt. 178, South of I-80)

Fly into Meigs? :rolleyes2:

You'll have to wait for Mayor Emmanuel to reopen Meigs...except the guy named Daley who arranged the illegal repayment the Airport Improvement Funds and forgiveness of 25 year stay-open guarantee is now in the office 50 feet away from the President in the White House.

Leave hub in Chi-town and you go to a real city.

Back