What to do for the not-aviation buffs

masloki

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Nunya
I am about this close [-----] into talking my wife into going to Oshkosh for the camping for a few days. No chance for a whole week :)

But, she will would prefer to do Oshkosh for 1 day, and would much rather do something else for the other 2 days. Can you tell me what the other better halfs are doing while the guys are drooling at ever more spectacular ways to make money disappear? I tried some google-fu and didn't come up with much. I saw the beach, but think the lake might be a tad cold for swimming, true?

So, any wineries? Hiking? Spas? Thank you for your advice!:cheerswine:

Appleton (25-30 min drive north) very nice indoor shopping mall, Harry Houdini museum, other museums. Green Bay - more museums and galleries and shopping. On the west side of 41 (the N-W highway, OSH is on the east side) a good outlet plaza. Buses go everywhere. Check the Airventure website for links to Wisconsin tourist bureau and city websites.

I took my wife once. 3 hours into a planned 3 day stay she announced
that she had seen enough airplanes for the rest of her life.
My kids and I have enjoyed it ever since.
Dave

You're going to CAMP in the North 40 at Oshkosh for ONE day?

IMHO, the amount of effort it takes to get in there and set up means that you need at LEAST a 3-day stay to make it worthwhile. You won't be able to see 20% of the flightline in just one day.

You're going to CAMP in the North 40 at Oshkosh for ONE day?

IMHO, the amount of effort it takes to get in there and set up means that you need at LEAST a 3-day stay to make it worthwhile. You won't be able to see 20% of the flightline in just one day.
Well, he didn't say the North 40; he could be talking about Camp Scholler. But yeah, you need a few days at least for AirVenture.

Even non-aviation people can easily find lots to do for at least a day at AirVenture if they try. Outside of that, there's not much I can think of beyond what's been mentioned.

Okay, I have my moments of insanity, but not crazy enough to camp one day. We would be camping for three days, and we do the show together for 1 day. I stay at the show the other two days while she hits the spa etc etc.

Agreed. If she's willing to drive down to Milwaukee (about an hour and a half to an hour 45 minutes) there is a lot to see and do.
But Sheboygan isn't quite as far, and has a GREAT Kohler spa!

There is actually a craft tent within the airshow. Their actives are listed among the others on the daily schedules, some of their classes require a small fee. I was supposed to teach Origami with them, but thought for a long time that I wasn't going and had to bail.

My wife, mother-in-law, and daughter used to drive up to Door County on one day during the show. Door County is the "thumb" of WI that sticks out into Lake Michigan, North of Sturgeon Bay.

It is a treasure trove of great restaurants, antique stores, shops, wineries, and cherry orchards. It's one of our favorite places on the planet, and I regret that my love for aviation always prevents me from tearing away long enough to drive up there...

masloki,

You thinking about flying into Oshkosh or driving? My wife & I are considering going for the day..didnt know if any other fellow Westosher's were flying in though.

Any way to drop her for a week at The Dells and you take 2-3 of those days and go to OSH? Don't take her, for the love of God if she is not an enthusiast, she will hate it.

Any way to drop her for a week at The Dells and you take 2-3 of those days and go to OSH? Don't take her, for the love of God if she is not an enthusiast, she will hate it.
I don't know I'd go so far as that. My MIL isn't a pilot and hasn't spent a whole lot of time around planes (except as an AF spouse), but she's willing to spend the second year with an entire WEEK camping with us in Camp Scholler in a tent. Yeah, the first year she may stick it out just for family, but year 2? Way too easy to come up with an excuse!

Last edited:
There is actually a craft tent within the airshow. Their actives are listed among the others on the daily schedules, some of their classes require a small fee. I was supposed to teach Origami with them, but thought for a long time that I wasn't going and had to bail.

She is going to OSH! Take her to the welding booth and get her proficient, attend a few oil seminars, recovering airplanes with cloth, polishing bare aluminum, and no trip to OSH is compete without a tour of the one man band dude near building "D". :rofl:

Then she will never want to come back and you can have OSH all to your self! :D

You are welcome. ;)

She is going to OSH! Take her to the welding booth and get her proficient, attend a few oil seminars, recovering airplanes with cloth, polishing bare aluminum, and no trip to OSH is compete without a tour of the one man band dude near building "D". :rofl:

Then she will never want to come back and you can have OSH all to your self! :D

You are welcome. ;)
I am not sure being dead counts as having it all to myself, as she will kill me if I make her sit through all of those sessions. But, we are going up for Saturday this year, and I will wrangle some guys for camping next year. Any PoAers staking out an area for the evening show?

I am not sure being dead counts as having it all to myself, as she will kill me if I make her sit through all of those sessions. But, we are going up for Saturday this year, and I will wrangle some guys for camping next year. Any PoAers staking out an area for the evening show?
We'll be at the show, but will probably be a bit late, because we do the Watermelon Social at the Seaplane Base Saturday, too.

Back