What to do. Error in engine logbook

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
6/1/2013 TT:7504
6/1/2014 TT:7403

Those are the total times listed for the respective years in our engine logbook obviously the later year can't really have a lesser value. Is there a process by which we go get this corrected in the log book?

6/1/2013 TT:7504
6/1/2014 TT:7403

Those are the total times listed for the respective years in our engine logbook obviously the later year can't really have a lesser value. Is there a process by which we go get this corrected in the log book?
Figure out which is the erroneous value, line through it leaving the original entry legible, write the correct value above it, and then sign/date the correction. It would be best if the person who made the original entry signed the correction.

Ron has it right. Logbook errors are common. Your personal logbook has them too, I bet.

Ron has it right. Logbook errors are common. Your personal logbook has them too, I bet.
I guarantee that.
The first couple of months when I was filling that logbook out myself is a total mess

I agree with Ron. As long as it comports with FAR 61.51 and does not run afoul of 61.59, it should be OK.

Another option is to simply make a new entry stating the TT correction and the reason for it. This avoids doctoring another persons signed entry.

I agree with Ron. As long as it comports with FAR 61.51 and does not run afoul of 61.59, it should be OK.
61.51 applies only to pilot logbooks. An engine logbook (about which the OP was asking) is covered by Part 43 (section 43.9, to be exact).

Another option is to simply make a new entry stating the TT correction and the reason for it. This avoids doctoring another persons signed entry.

This is what I do, saves defacing someone else's entries.
You can point to the page with the addition error.
Of course, these are additions errors other people make, not mine. :rofl:

This is what I do, saves defacing someone else's entries.
You can point to the page with the addition error.
Of course, these are additions errors other people make, not mine. :rofl:

You don't really deface the entry, you simply make a (thin) line through it so that it is still legible and then the corrected value right next to it so the next person down the line doesn't have to comb through a few more entries (or pages of entries) to try and figure out what happened.

In engineering, it is the ONLY way to correct an entry, as it may turn out later that the data recorded WAS the correct value. Several inventions have been saved by this recording of seeming false data that turned out to be true.

Jim

Back