What to buy?

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I have a fair amount of 'extra' cash and am thinking about what I should get for the airplane. I have an Ipad3 using WingX, a HP4700 using Anywhere map, and a Garmin 396, and a QStarz GPS so not much need there...have a glass panel that doesn't need anything more....seat buddy, lots of minor extras....what would you add if you had a hold burning in you pocket as I seem to have?

I have a fair amount of 'extra' cash and am thinking about what I should get for the airplane. I have an Ipad3 using WingX, a HP4700 using Anywhere map, and a Garmin 396, and a QStarz GPS so not much need there...have a glass panel that doesn't need anything more....seat buddy, lots of minor extras....what would you add if you had a hold burning in you pocket as I seem to have?

1) Avgas
2) Oil
3) Save for a new plane
4) Save for kids/retirement/etc. (this=#1)
5) GoPro/professionally installed camera mount
6) Donate money to the buy ebykowsky a plane and more flight time foundation :yes:
(Actually, I think 6 is #1)
Seriously though, if you really don't know what to do with your money, and you think you have too much, it's time to start giving to charity. I can't ever imagine having more money than I know what to do with now that I fly as a hobby.

EDIT: That's not to insinuate that you don't already give to those less fortunate, I'm just saying that if you think you have all you need, there are still plenty of good things to do with your money that are non-aviation-related, whether you use it on yourself, save it, or donate it. What about setting up a fund that puts a kid through flying lessons?

Last edited:
Make a generous donation to the OkieFlyer Foundation. All proceeds will be used to help put a needy pilot in the air. It is for a good cause, and since I have direct control over the foundation finances, I can make sure the money goes for aviation purposes.

Make a generous donation to the OkieFlyer Foundation. All proceeds will be used to help put a needy pilot in the air. It is for a good cause, and since I have direct control over the foundation finances, I can make sure the money goes for aviation purposes.

Hey--my foundation called it first!!!

Sounds like the plane's set - use it towards some new ratings, maybe?

"This must be so hard. "Oh, no! Two women love me. They're both gorgeous and sexy. My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

Show off... :raspberry:

I'd put all those handhelds on eBay and get a Aera 796.

What sort of headsets are you running? I haven't regretted buying my Bose A20s.

You got a good handheld radio? Wired to an external antenna?

Go get a new rating?

Use it for fuel and fly somewhere for the hell of it?

Pay a kid at the airport to wash/wax your plane.

What airplane and engine?

Speed mods. Weight mods. Go faster + higher mods, aka add a turbo. Combine two ridiculous hobbies and add floats :) Autopilot? How many AMUs are we talking? I think I just spent most of it for you.

If it's a 4-cyl Lycoming or Continental single or twin engine certificated airplane, take a real look at this electronic ignition replacement. Smoother running, better power at altitude, and substantial fuel economy/savings at the same time.

http://www.electroair.net/stc_ignition_kit.html

Has anyone done this? I love the idea and wish that they had an STC for my Tampico. I'll have to do a field approval.

Jim

Back