What to bring

U

Unregistered

Greetings,

I am a light sport student but my school has lost their instructor for the aircraft I am training on. I was going light sport because, although I am very healthy now, I have had several ER visits in the past that I would have to track down and prove were resolved. I am considering getting my PPL, but what should I bring my AME to avoid a deferral?

That is a question you'd have to ask your AME. It's not a scary process, call them and ask for a consultation appointment. The FAA isn't involved, there's no medical involved. Be completely open and honest with the AME about your conditions, don't hold anything back. Far better to know.

Before the consultation, try to get any paperwork you can from the medical people, if you tell them it's for an FAA physical, they'll probably know better than you do what you need. The AME will want to see them anyway.

Then - before you schedule an appointment for a medical, KNOW that you will pass it. If you know you're going to be deferred, KNOW what the FAA is going to ask for, the AME can actually ask about your conditions and negotiate what is needed before you even come in. If they're going to ask for tests, get the tests done before your appointment and KNOW that you're going to pass them. Then once you have everything in order, do your physical and submit everything to the FAA.

If you do the above, coming out of your physical you should have one of two results - either you have your medical in hand OR you had to be deferred, but you already know what the FAA is going to ask for and you have already done those tests and given them the information at your physical. They really like proactive health.

There should be no guesswork involved. KNOW the outcome before you get your medical.

If you come across anything that would be disqualifying, stop and back away.

Last edited:
If you're going LSA you don't need to see a AME.

If your CFI is gone, why not use any other CFI? And CFI should be able to do it.
Or find another school.

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to finish my SP over this summer but work got in the way. The weather here is starting to turn, so I am also considering making a trip to a southern state, spending a few days at a time to finish it. I am not crazy about that option because that has the temptation to try and rush things. Any suggestions? I would like a taildragger. I figure some places are more prone to tail-dragging then others.

If this is a medical question... Dr Chen will be the eventual consensus answer with the obligatory "be honest" warning. Quick search will show that 99% of medical questions end up with his name and the be honest statements in them.

As to the SP training and tailwheel question. Finish up the SP locally and when you've got it go looking for the plane you really want. If that ends up being tailwheel the transition won't be difficult and will give you good dual time in your new plane. win-win

Whatever you do, don't complete and submit the 8500 form until you are sure, sure, sure of what you have down is complete and accurate and will lead to a clear medical approval. If there is ANY doubt, contact a Sr AME and go over it with a consult before submitting the form. Once you are in, you are in all the way with no going back. Don't jeopardize your SP by making a mistake on the aeromed side.

Dr Bruce Chien is frequently mentioned in these kinds of threads, but since you didn't say what your hospitalization was for, you might as well start local. If you go with your PPL, you'll want to have someone local anyway.

Use the AME to figure it all out, THEN do your medical. Know before your medical exactly what the outcome will be.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest go ahead and finish with Sport and then maybe start some of the dual stuff for private (hood work, night flying, Class C/B tuneup. Anything else?). You could actually get your SP and use an LSA to make the long XC without an instructor. You could even get ground training and go make your solo landings at a Class-C too, these things don't have to be in a "private" airplane.

Whatever you do, don't complete and submit the 8500 form until you are sure, sure, sure of what you have down is complete and accurate and will lead to a clear medical approval. If there is ANY doubt, contact a Sr AME and go over it with a consult before submitting the form. Once you are in, you are in all the way with no going back. Don't jeopardize your SP by making a mistake on the aeromed side.
Just to point out that, finding a Senior AME is not enough. The OP most likely needs an AME who specializes in difficult cases (several ER visits probably moves him into difficult case territory, depending on the reasons and what was found). Senior AME just means the AME is authorized to do 1st class exams. My very first AME was a Senior AME, but he was also a Dr. D. Furral, and it took me 100 hours to solo because of a lengthy back and forth with OKC, in which he was ABSOLUTELY NO help at all.

Bruce is probably the best known difficult case AME, but there are many others. To the OP: ask private pilots around your airport, particularly those who are getting up in years. Someone will know of a good AME who tries to help pilots with medical issues get through the system.

In fact, if you would care to tell us what state you are in, perhaps someone here could point you in the right direction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back