What steps can I take in the next few years to have a chance at a third class? Past substance/alcoho

A

Anon

Hi All,

I've used the search function and found some good stuff, but my case is a little odd and am hoping for some replies. When I was younger, I thought about the commercial aviation route and ultimately went a different direction in life. I'm now older and am hoping to one day just have a PPL so that I can fly for fun. Problem is, I had some alcohol and drug issues in my late teens and twenties. I'm in my early 30s now and sober, but I know that isn't enough. I'm hoping to see what I can do going forward to give myself a shot at a medical, but I do acknowledge there's a possibility that it just may not happen for me.

From 18-20, I was cited three times for underage alcohol possession/consumption. I completed diversion and wasn't convicted, but I know I have to disclose these. From about 16-20 I smoked a fair bit of marijuana, but haven't used in years. I tried hallucinogens a few times in college, nothing since. I know this is all still not good.

I'm ashamed to admit I had a cocaine problem for a number of years during college and law school. I never got in any trouble with police over drug use, but a fellow student told my law school I was using and I had to talk with a counselor. I graduated but it's on my graduation certificate.

I got cleaned up after law school, and I actually don't even drink anymore. I cannot recall the last time I had a drink, and I've been drug free for coming up on four years. That said, to get admitted to the bar in one state I had to get an independent medical evaluation regarding my mental health and substance use. That was in 2016. I recently passed the bar in another state and had to provide all my records. I ultimately took a hair test, went to therapy, and hired an attorney. This was good enough for the board and I was admitted.

I also have a history of depression and anxiety. Both have abated greatly in the last few years. I no longer take anything for anxiety, though I do still take a low dose of an antidepressant. I did talk therapy for over a decade, but do not currently.

My past actions pay preclude me from ever flying an airplane, and while that will be disappointing, I understand that it's a consequence of choices I made. Still, I'd like to explore whether I even have a path. I'm thinking of starting this process a few years down the road when I have more years of sobriety under my belt, so no time in the next year or two.

Since getting clean, I've gotten meaningful employment, passed a bar exam while working full time, gotten married, and purchased my first home. I've demonstrated to a state bar that I've worked on recovery. Still, I know the FAA will want more. I'm just looking for general advice on how to give them more or whether this simply won't be an option for me. I apologize for even having to ask; I know flying is a privilege and that people with past substance problems aren't always welcome in the sky. Even so, I wanted to get some thoughts and figure out whether I can start slowly working at flying or if I need to forget it. Thank you all.

+1 Sport Pilot. You don't even know at this point if you will enjoy flying and frankly you don't know what you don't know regarding aviation. Sport Pilot will get you flying and introduced to aviation. Then you can make an educated decision on whether you want to open Pandora's box by pursuing a medical certificate...

+1 Sport Pilot. You don't even know at this point if you will enjoy flying and frankly you don't know what you don't know regarding aviation. Sport Pilot will get you flying and introduced to aviation. Then you can make an educated decision on whether you want to open Pandora's box by pursuing a medical certificate...

Thanks so much to both posters. I'm reading more about it and I think it's a good route to go for the foreseeable future. Maybe I can revisit the rest later in life but I don't think I'll need more than a sport pilot anyway. I was not aware this was an option so thank you both.

The advantage of becoming either a sport pilot, a glider pilot, or a balloon pilot is that they are options that are open to you now, because they require no medical certificate. One caution is that if you ever apply for a medical certificate and get turned down, then sport pilot will no longer be an option for you unless you are later successful at getting a medical certificate.

Here are the regulations specific to sport pilots:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...1fae0ad2cb6&mc=true&node=sp14.2.61.j&rgn=div6

Last edited:
Meanwhile, there may be things you can do to document your recovery in case you decide to apply for a medical certificate in the future. Doctor Bruce Chien will probably post about that.

I'm reading more about it and I think it's a good route to go for the foreseeable future. Maybe I can revisit the rest later in life but I don't think I'll need more than a sport pilot anyway. I was not aware this was an option so thank you both.

Sport Pilot is a pretty generous offering from the FAA as to the privileges given. To say that no medical is required is technically correct but all pilots have to medically self certify themselves before flight. Also the Sport Pilot Certificate requires a valid driver's license in lieu of a medical certificate. If for any reason your license is suspended or revoked the Sport Certificate is no longer valid. Licenses can be suspended for reasons a person may not be aware of i.e. non-payment of child support, etc.

Also know that if the future promised upgrades to the Sport Certificate come to fruition then it would be even more worth having. I'm quite satisfied as a Sport Certificate holder even though I could pass a medical and move on to a Private Certificate as of now I see no need or reason for me to do so.

Also, the FAA changed the rules a couple of years ago. If you become a Sport Pilot and later decide to get your Private Pilot certification, all of your Sport training will count toward Private. I went this route, and it's pretty straightforward to complete Private if you already have Sport.

And Sport isn't really all that limiting. You can fly daytime VFR anywhere in the US and the Bahamas with one passenger. The planes have pretty limited carrying capacity and you'll have to pack very light if you want to take a long trip (or ship your luggage ahead), but it's doable.

agree with the above responses that the SPL is your best route otherwise you'll likely

if you've never been in a small aircraft a good first step might be to take a "discovery flight". these are short, usually 20-30 minutes long designed to introduce someone to the wonders of flight. people take discovery flights for many different reasons. none of your past issues preclude doing that but if asked why you want to take the flight you can say it's just for personal enjoyment. you may love the experience or realize you prefer to be on the ground looking up.

please keep in mind that should you take a medical and fail or pass but get deferred by the FAA which ultimately denys your 3rd class you instantly become ineligible for the Sport Certificate. i'm certain that given enough time ..months, maybe years...and enough money you might prevail so you can roll the dice or go for for the SPL.

with the proper training and endorsements a sport pilot can do many things a private pilot can do. major exceptions are carrying more than one passenger, only VFR flight conditions, flying at night and operating no higher than 10,000-ft MSL or 2000-ft AGL, whichever is higher. you'll be restricted to 2-seat aircraft certified as "light-sport" having a total take-off weight of no more than 1320-lbs. if you're a big dude you may find carrying enough fuel as well as yourself too much to also carry a passenger in some light-sport aircraft. but there are some really light light-sport aircraft that can accomodate two 200-lb persons plus a full load of fuel.

IMO your biggest challenge will be to find either a school or independent CFI that offers the SPL in your area. good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies and for the kindness. Past transgressions are never easy to talk about, so I really appreciate the judgment-free zone.

I'm going to look into SPL and think about the rest later. I did do an intro flight but it's been a few years and might be worth doing again before I dive headlong into this. I'll post an update further down the road. No sense rushing into this and spending a ton while also potentially sealing my fate.

Thank you all. Happy flying.

Many thanks for all the replies and for the kindness. Past transgressions are never easy to talk about, so I really appreciate the judgment-free zone.

I'm going to look into SPL and think about the rest later. I did do an intro flight but it's been a few years and might be worth doing again before I dive headlong into this. I'll post an update further down the road. No sense rushing into this and spending a ton while also potentially sealing my fate.

Thank you all. Happy flying.
To Original Anon:
Start documenting your sobriety.
Log all your recovery activities- date, location and meeting leader
It makes a TREMENDOUS difference when you get to getting a 3rd class!

I know flying is a privilege and that people with past substance problems aren't always welcome in the sky.

Let me take a little bit of umbrage with this statement. Anyone who has the courage to accept they have a problem with drugs or alcohol, does the work necessary to get sober, and continues to stay sober, is welcome in the sky. From your statement it appears, to me, that you have not worked a 12 step program. I say that because, while there is acceptance of your issue, there seems to be some shame. So, get into AA and start logging attendance. 90 meetings in 90 days then at least 2 meetings a week after. Give yourself to the program. I can't speak for others but ever since I started AA my entire world has changed. I could write a book about the good things that have happened for me. If you do not have any formal treatment for your substance abuse issues, seek it. Go to a treatment facility and get an assessment. Whatever they say you need, you must do if your goal is to fly with a 3rd class or better.

There are some amazing resources on here with regards to the path you need to take. Whenever you see @bbchien post about alcohol, drugs, or mental health issues, read it and take notes.

Is there a path for you? Yes. Will it be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. I started this process August 28, 2017 and I still don't have my medical. My file is in Washington DC and I'm waiting on a Special Issuance from the Federal Air Surgeon. It has taken this long for a couple of reasons, but the main one was that I did no research prior to applying, nor did I think I had a problem with alcohol. How could I? I rarely drank. But, according to the definitions set forth in the FAR, I was diagnosed Alcohol Dependent due to my alcohol use post trauma when I was in the Marine Corps 16 years ago. Am I ashamed? Absolutely not. My story could help 1 person get and stay sober and that is an amazing power to have.

If you want to talk, message me on here and I'll be glad to give you my number and we can talk. I'm more than happy to share my story and detail the things that I have had to do.

I started this process August 28, 2017 and I still don't have my medical.

:eek2:

What has it been that's caused such a delay? Was this a function of having to document two years of sobriety before they would even give you consideration?

:eek2:

What has it been that's caused such a delay? Was this a function of having to document two years of sobriety before they would even give you consideration?

Great question. 1st is bureaucracy. I knew I would get deferred for my mental health issues. What I wasn’t expecting was my VA therapist to retire. When she retired there was no one to write the letter the FAA needed. It took me 1 full year to have someone at the VA write the required letter for the FAA. It was insane. The FAA received the letter in October 2018.

Once the VA received the letter I was told I’d need the full P&P, which takes a while to schedule. Got the psych evaluation Jan 19 (to which I was told my past alcohol use was going to be an issue) and the neuro-psych done in Feb 2019 (passed everything but she recommended not issuing a medical based on past alcohol use and not having two years sobriety).

I received my denial on May 2, 2019. After a brief fight with everyone I could fight I finally decided to give up the fight. I realized that others may be right and I looked into my past behavior, post trauma. It has been life changing.

Since then I have gone through IOP, aftercare (still have to do that weekly), I attend AA regularly, I’ve worked the steps and I now sponsor others. It’s a good life.

I reapplied for my 1st class in Jan 2020 and now I wait. So there were multiple issues that have caused delays but, ultimately, I have done what was needed and I hope to have my SI by the end of the year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back