What site do you use?

linuxjim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JJ
I used to like funplacestofly.com when I was looking for day trips within a few hours. There was a link called "the big map" that I could use to find recommendations on places to go. Looks like the info is all there but I can only search state by state now if I want to see it on a map? What do you use to find random new and interesting destinations within a given area?

Why not use the function to search based on airport ID and a certain number of miles?

Socialflight is another option.

Why not use the function to search based on airport ID and a certain number of miles?

Socialflight is another option.
I have. I found the map much easier. If I am looking for something within a few hours (500+/- miles) that gives me about 20 pages of responses. Thanks for the suggestion on social flight. I'll check it out.
I used to like funplacestofly.com when I was looking for day trips within a few hours. There was a link called "the big map" that I could use to find recommendations on places to go. Looks like the info is all there but I can only search state by state now if I want to see it on a map? What do you use to find random new and interesting destinations within a given area?

Jim,

What sort of results are you looking for? I have the code pretty already written for a "find me a random airport to go to." However, are there certain requirements you are looking for at said airport?

Hmm... Find a random airport would be interesting. I'd like to see that. The criteria will change from day to day. I'll look for a restaurant, a fly-in, somewhere near an interesting town I can head into, hiking, etc. So the map lets me center on my location and see a radius and make completely random, non-structured decisions about where I do or don't want to go.

My inner dialogue picking a random destination;

"Nope. Not going to IL today. Just came from there."
"Oh hey look there's a fly-in in Shrevport."
"SQUIRREL! -> Branson has a restaurant I wanted to try."
"Oh wait... Hiking/horseback riding at Ozarks State Park. Yeah... That's what I'll do."

:) So thats why I liked "The Big MAP." I did log into social flight and it seems to have a nice map view.

Jim,

What sort of results are you looking for? I have the code pretty already written for a "find me a random airport to go to." However, are there certain requirements you are looking for at said airport?
Not the same Jim, but I'll answer anyway... :D

There are plenty of ways to find out where airports are. But what if you want to fly to a nearby airport where you can DO something when you get there? Ground transportation is often problematic, so being able to search for "an airport within 150 miles with a restaurant a short walk from the field" can help you figure out how you want to spend a CAVU Saturday.

Having the option to see results presented in a map format (so you don't have to go open another browser window to figure out where "Podunkville" is) is a nice bonus.

Here is something I whipped up based on the Relay Challenge.

I don't have any of the local attractions for the random field, but it's something.

NOT optimized for mobile.

Last edited:
Meetup is good for some flyins too

Back