What should I do

David,

Remember when you said that you know you're impulsive and try to control it?

FAIL...

My 650 just wouldn't scoot with 2, I needed a bigger bike. Got a really good deal on this one - (almost 4k under MSRP new)

Your idea of full gear and mine must be different - I just put on the Kevlar jockstrap and call it good. Gotta protect the important stuff.

:rofl: chicks always told me I looked better with the helmet on, so I wore it, a lot.

-VanDy

My 650 just wouldn't scoot with 2, I needed a bigger bike. Got a really good deal on this one - (almost 4k under MSRP new)

Probably not much of an option in KS, but corner speed is better than displacement!

-VanDy

But on the serious... I have a buddy with a concourse, he loves it and is passing 100k soon, it's an 09, I think

-VanDy

The Concours seems to corner pretty well. I think Jesse and I are going to start our own bike gang.

Lol! A good rider can make any bike corner, what are ya gonna call yourselves, 'the Kansas krew?

-VanDy

Up North, I always wore full leathers. I wore them once in Texas, in winter (!), and almost died of heatstroke.

The modern stuff is made of nylon mesh, with armor plates strategically placed throughout. MUCH more comfortable on the island.

uba5a8ag.jpg

I'm also exiting this thread due to equine aquatic consumption issues.

The observation about impulse control is applicable.

That's what they said 30 years ago. They were wrong. It's a hell of a lot of money on which you can live very well for a very long time
Yea and with the way our country is going down the toilet, maybe it is best to enjoy it now because that $5mil isn't going to do much for you anyway 30-40 years from now.

The check request is a promise to pay. If you don't have the money to cover it, don't write it. If the bank doesn't come through they will use your check and try to cash it. If it goes through, you own the bike, if it doesn't you've committed check fraud and they may come after you for the amount of the check.

Just tell them you don't have the money in the bank and won't be writing them a check. When/if the bank comes through, then the sale goes through. If not, then tough shyte.

David,

This is exactly what you should do. Read it very carefully and follow the instructions to the letter. If you don't, Ed Fred is going to fly to Nebraska and beat you like a borrowed mule.

1. Be sure the state law includes a 3-day buyer's remorse clause.

2. Buy the bike using the draft. The reason the bank wants the draft is that protects them from the possibility that you will take the money and go to Vegas rather than buying the bike which serves as collateral for the loan.

3. Take Dumplin' for a couple of rides aound the countryside. It will take about two days for both of you to realize this is the dumbest f'ng thing you have ever done, at which point you can take it back and get out of the deal.

That's what they said 30 years ago. They were wrong. It's a hell of a lot of money on which you can live very well for a very long time

$5 Million invested conservatively, yielding say 5% not touching the principal, will pay $250k annually. That won't be what you think it will be 20 years from now, not to mention 30 or 40 years from now. You may not starve, but it won't be a fortune.

From a car dealers perspective, we take "swap" checks all the time, the understanding being that we have verified financing and the check or draft in enroute.:D We hold the check and the customer takes delivery of the car with proof of insurance of course.;) In 25+ years I've only had a handful of problems with folks doing it this way.:dunno:

$250k was a lot of money at any time in the past, still is today and will be for many decades to come. And why does it matter if you spend some of the principal? Are you saving it for the prom?

$5 Million invested conservatively, yielding say 5% not touching the principal, will pay $250k annually. That won't be what you think it will be 20 years from now, not to mention 30 or 40 years from now. You may not starve, but it won't be a fortune.

Why not just sign the paperwork, go to the bank with the VIN so they can set your loan up, return to the dealer with the check? Assuming your loan was pre approved?

And the government wasn't $15 trillion in debt 30 yrs ago either. Some where down the road, the US Dollar will become worthless and new money will be issued. Plus, the government may try to seize retirement accounts.

http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2013/04/is-obama-about-to-seize-retirement-accounts-2508956.html

Save some...of course, but if I were in my 20s, I wouldn't count on being able to 'retire' like my parents did.

I have only one caveat. The Connie is more of a dedicated touring bike, though I am told it has plenty of zip. I stopped touring about the time I got the airplane. I am not driving anywhere I can fly. I would take my wing over a Connie for touring any day. No zip, but it is a free range comfort zone.

That, and I would never make that kind of outlay for a girlfriend. Wife yes, ask me about the hard wood floors we just put in the stein home. You are most definitely thinking with the wrong part of your anatomy son.

Speculation.

People with $5MM have diversified portfolios.

And the government wasn't $15 trillion in debt 30 yrs ago either. Some where down the road, the US Dollar will become worthless and new money will be issued. Plus, the government may try to seize retirement accounts.

http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2013/04/is-obama-about-to-seize-retirement-accounts-2508956.html

Save some...of course, but if I were in my 20s, I wouldn't count on being able to 'retire' like my parents did.

One of the biggest problems in this country is that the majority of us still think that if a person has a million dollars they have it made in the shade. In parts of rural America maybe, no where in Northern Virginia are you anything beyond middle class with a net worth of a million dollars. One of my co-workers is trying to figure out what to do about his mother in law who's paying 18k/ month to a nursing home and she's outliving her retirement. Can you imagine what that 18k is going to be in 30 years? How's that $250k looking now?

$250k was a lot of money at any time in the past, still is today and will be for many decades to come. And why does it matter if you spend some of the principal? Are you saving it for the prom?

Wear clean underwear...it's the only advice that hasn't been offered.

I'm still wrapping my pea-brain around the notion of a 650cc motorcycle being inadequate for a 160 lb rider and his - what? - 120 lb? girl...

We've been talking about $5 mil, not $1 mil. If she outlives her money she'll go on medicaid to pay for nursing care.

And many financial plans include strategies to do just that. My mom lived in an independent retirement facility until a few weeks before she died. The most she ever spent for room, board and utilities in a very nice place was $2,150.

Understanding the realities of planning for these eventualities isn't a new concept and has been successfully accomplished for years. Trying to use "can you imagine" scare tactics isn't an effective strategy for those who understand financial planning.

One of the biggest problems in this country is that the majority of us still think that if a person has a million dollars they have it made in the shade. In parts of rural America maybe, no where in Northern Virginia are you anything beyond middle class with a net worth of a million dollars. One of my co-workers is trying to figure out what to do about his mother in law who's paying 18k/ month to a nursing home and she's outliving her retirement. Can you imagine what that 18k is going to be in 30 years? How's that $250k looking now?

I'm still wrapping my pea-brain around the notion of a 650cc motorcycle being inadequate for a 160 lb rider and his - what? - 120 lb? girl...

+1. Was thinking the same thing. The Ninjas not very comfortable for 2 but a 650 will have plenty of power for the average street rider. I do love how the mind works when trying to justify a new toy...

About twice a year I convince my wife to hop on the back of my CBR 600.

That woman's financial planning realities aside, my strategy wasn't to present scare tactics, but to point out the effects of simple inflation.

With all due respect, if you're saying $250k will spend 30 years from now as it does today, you are either out of of your cotton picking mind or you're just instigating a pretty weak argument. I'm choosing the latter.

We've been talking about $5 mil, not $1 mil. If she outlives her money she'll go on medicaid to pay for nursing care.

And many financial plans include strategies to do just that. My mom lived in an independent retirement facility until a few weeks before she died. The most she ever spent for room, board and utilities in a very nice place was $2,150.

Understanding the realities of planning for these eventualities isn't a new concept and has been successfully accomplished for years. Trying to use "can you imagine" scare tactics isn't an effective strategy for those who understand financial planning.

That was never the point. It doesn't spend nearly as well today as it did 40 years ago, but it's still a lot of net worth that provides a very nice upper-end lifestyle. During my first year in the securities business in 1968, I made a slide show that included a picture of a package of Marlboros with three quarters on top, an unheard-of price at the time since the vending-machine price was .25. Ditto car prices, the cost of my 1966 Delta 88 four-door hard-top was $3,600.

Do you have $5 mil now? If not, figure out how to get it and see how it works out for you. Inflation has occurred every time paper currency has been used, and investors have been finding ways to deal with it. That won't change, and those who have the capital will always be in the best position to take advantage of the opportunities.

The "yahbut in 30 years . . ." naysayers will all be 30 years older and closer to the big divot than they are now, at which time the measurement of remaining years becomes as much a factor as the measurement of remaining net worth.

At some point they will figure that out too, but no reason to confuse them now.
For anybody who's interested in that stuff, Scott Burns has researched and written about it extensively and has as good a feel for the subject as any of the financial editors.

That woman's financial planning realities aside, my strategy wasn't to present scare tactics, but to point out the effects of simple inflation.

With all due respect, if you're saying $250k will spend 30 years from now as it does today, you are either out of of your cotton picking mind or you're just instigating a pretty weak argument. I'm choosing the latter.

It's a good opportunity to build credit

Not really, a fixed payment loan shows you can make a fixed payment. A $500 WF secured credit card would be cheaper, less risky and do wonders for your credit by showing you can responsibly handle open ended revolving credit. Anybody with money can make a payment, showing that you have instant credit at your disposal and can responsibly handle that says a lot more. Plus, you can typically keep the CC open for decades, where as you'll pay off the loan and its contribution to your overall creditworthiness will become nil in a few years.

+1. Was thinking the same thing. The Ninjas not very comfortable for 2 but a 650 will have plenty of power for the average street rider. I do love how the mind works when trying to justify a new toy...

About twice a year I convince my wife to hop on the back of my CBR 600.

A CBR 600 has about 50 more HP than the Ninja 650

It's just not comfy to ride with 2 - once you get on the highway it's not bad but riding in town is not pleasant in the least.

This isn't about horsepower it's about brainpower. Use some of it.

A CBR 600 has about 50 more HP than the Ninja 650

Back