What REALLY Happened to D.B. Cooper

Dan Gryder has come out with a overly-long video that nevertheless presents what strike me as convincing evidence and analysis about the identity and fate of D B Cooper, once he gets around to actually discussing the details. The first hour of this video drags on with FBI-bashing, etc. and can probably be skipped without missing much, but later when he gets into discussing the actual evidence, including the second hijacking and interviews with family members, his conclusion seems to have a good fit with the totality of the evidence.

All the padding (especially in the beginning) made me wonder if YouTube pays based on how much time people spend watching a particular channel. It's unfortunate that the length, his taking so long to get to the point, and his reputation, will probably keep a lot of people from watching the parts that are actually relevant.

If I had more time, I would write a "CliffsNotes" of it.

I don't find anything Gryder says relevant. Knowing the president of Northwest at the time, I am fairly sure Cooper bounced.

I've always wondered about Cooper, and would love to watch a well-researched and well-edited documentary about it. But there's no way I'm giving another minute of time to DG; certainly not two and a half hours.

He didn't say anything. I just suspect that those parachutes may not have been what they appeared.

Dan Gryder has come out with a overly-long video that nevertheless presents what strike me as convincing evidence and analysis about the identity and fate of D B Cooper, once he gets around to actually discussing the details. The first hour of this video drags on with FBI-bashing, etc. and can probably be skipped without missing much, but later when he gets into discussing the actual evidence, including the second hijacking and interviews with family members, his conclusion seems to have a good fit with the totality of the evidence.
HBO came out with a documentary last year, "The Mystery of D. B. Cooper." Wonder how much of Gryder's evidence is the same the HBO show reveals.

Ron Wanttaja

HBO came out with a documentary last year, "The Mystery of D. B. Cooper." Wonder how much of Gryder's evidence is the same the HBO show reveals.

Ron Wanttaja
When I get around to subscribing to HBO Max, I'll watch it and see.

One of the sources Gryder uses is the book "D.B. Cooper: The Real McCoy," by Bernie Rhodes. Was that mentioned in the HBO documentary?

One of the sources Gryder uses is the book "D.B. Cooper: The Real McCoy," by Bernie Rhodes. Was that mentioned in the HBO documentary?

Don’t recall…been a year or so since I saw it.

Do remember there were two main suspects described, with what seemed to be strong justification for each. Was the first time I’d heard about the other attempted skyjacking by one of the men.

Ron Wanttaja

No one's going to save us the pain and just tell us who he thinks it is?

No one's going to save us the pain and just tell us who he thinks it is?
The second hijacker, McCoy.

The theory is the DB Cooper jump was the first attempt, but he dropped the money. He then used what he learned to do it right the second time. McCoy's wife died recently and his kids appear in the video confirming the theory. They were apparently waiting for mom to pass as she was an accomplice.

The second hijacker, McCoy.

The theory is the DB Cooper jump was the first attempt, but he dropped the money. He then used what he learned to do it right the second time. McCoy's wife died recently and his kids appear in the video confirming the theory. They were apparently waiting for mom to pass as she was an accomplice.
That's an old theory. So he made an hours-long multi-part video about an old theory? Thank you for saving me the pain.

That's an old theory. So he made an hours-long multi-part video about an old theory? Thank you for saving me the pain.
Glad i could help lol. It played in the background while I was doing some work. It would be pretty good with about 50% cut. I hadn't heard of the Mccoy hijacking, so it was new to me.

Gryder cites Bernie Rhodes' book, which was published in 1991, as an important source. One thing new is that he shows interviews with the family members, who were not willing to admit that McCoy's alibi for the first hijacking was false while their mother was still alive.

Gryder also did a test jump to show that it would have been impossible for "Cooper" to hang onto the money bag and still spread his arms to slow down to a speed that would allow opening the shute without tearing it apart. Whether that's new or not, I don't know.

Gryder cites Bernie Rhodes' book, which was published in 1991, as an important source. One thing new is that he shows interviews with the family members, who were not willing to admit that McCoy's alibi for the first hijacking was false while their mother was still alive.

Gryder also did a test jump to show that it would have been impossible for "Cooper" to hang onto the money bag and still spread his arms to slow down to a speed that would allow opening the shute without tearing it apart. Whether that's new or not, I don't know.
That seemed kind of silly. He mentions that "Cooper" cut the cords of one of the chutes, so it seems he could've tied the bag to himself. The best evidence that he lost the money was the deteriorated stacks of 20's found decades later.

I was a bit surprised to see gryder drop such a dense package so close to a heavily populated area. That didn't seem real smart, although he did manage to hit the river. But then it is gryder.....

That seemed kind of silly. He mentions that "Cooper" cut the cords of one of the chutes, so it seems he could've tied the bag to himself. The best evidence that he lost the money was the deteriorated stacks of 20's found decades later.

I was a bit surprised to see gryder drop such a dense package so close to a heavily populated area. That didn't seem real smart, although he did manage to hit the river. But then it is gryder.....

Gryder mentioned that the bag the money was provided in for the first hijacking was not suitable for the purpose, and that McCoy brought his own bag, with "D-rings" IIRC, for the second hijacking, so maybe he was unable to adequately secure the first one even with the use of the cords. :dunno:

Gryder mentioned that the bag the money was provided in for the first hijacking was not suitable for the purpose, and that McCoy brought his own bag, with "D-rings" IIRC, for the second hijacking, so maybe he was unable to adequately secure the first one even with the use of the cords. :dunno:
Fair. I submit however that if someone gave me a bag with 200k in it, some paracord, and a chute.... I'd figure something out lol

There were also lawsuits when the book came out. I'm pretty sure that's been the leading theory for some time.

Back