What planes should I consider?

I'm tall and have spent a lot of time in the back of 182s. It's about as comfy as you get without stepping up into a much more expensive class of plane.

177 may be good enough, but check the remaining useful load with your required fuel. You may find it doesn't haul enough to be practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on the Belanca Super Viking:
Over 200HP -> High Performance
Retractable Gear, Constant Speed Prop
Large entry door and large "cargo" door.

My 100 pound golden retriever jumps into Cessnas.

Baxter%20in%2086U%20med_zpsfl1lsqmf.jpg

Zero experience with that aircraft, but would the fabric body be an issue when loading 4 legged friends? They don't always go where you want them to. My instructor said they are an absolute joy to fly though.

And ridiculous insurance rates when I was checking into one

You use a funny calendar if 7 hours a week comes to 150 a year.

You use a funny calendar if 7 hours a week comes to 150 a year.
I discounted it for the weather weeks etc.
It was also based on the perception most hobby pilots struggle to fly 100hrs a year.

Zero experience with that aircraft, but would the fabric body be an issue when loading 4 legged friends? They don't always go where you want them to. My instructor said they are an absolute joy to fly though.
Fabric won't be an issue with dogs. It's unbelievably tough stuff. I heard of a demonstration where someone shot a shotgun at the side of their fabric airplane and not a single piece of shot penetrated. Though I don't know the range that this was done at.

I did a lot of research into them at one point. I really like them! They're quite cheap because people are afraid of the wooden spar, but as long as you get a knowledgeable A&P to do the pre-buy inspection it shouldn't be an issue. I think one of the few downsides to them is that they're a bit tight on the inside, but I've never actually been in one.

Edit: I also think they're one of the most badass looking 4-place retracts out there.

That Lance seems suspicious. It's $40k cheaper than the next cheapest ones on Controller, and those are the T-tailed models that are not highly regarded.

That Lance seems suspicious. It's $40k cheaper than the next cheapest ones on Controller, and those are the T-tailed models that are not highly regarded.
That price does seem to be suspiciously low.

That's some pretty intense hail damage. Most likely all cosmetic, but you never know. That's part of it. I also notice the left elevator has a skin repair and what appears to be a tear in the metal. The upholstery is trashed. The ad says the MX20 "lines in winter" which could mean anything from a few bad pixels to impending display failure. The compression on two cylinders is pretty low. The paint is 40 years old.

My guess is that they found something during the annual last September that scared them, and they want to get rid of it before they have to drop major coin.

I'm in a similar boat as you...6'7' and 225. I'm about to buy a Flight Design CTLS. It's only a 2 seater and won't be the plane to meet all my needs, but it's really affordable both to buy, maintain, and operate, fun to fly, decently fast, has a BRS parachute. Really spacious cockpit for 2 people. It won't fit your dog obviously. But for me, this is the plane I will build flight time and experience with for the next couple years. When I want to fly with the family which will be more rare, I'll just need to rent something or get into a partnership with a 6 seater plane. No one plane can meet all objectives, so I'm going for what I'll need it for the majority of the time. As you will see once you start learning ALL the expenses involved in owning a plane, the cost of the plane itself is just the tip of the iceberg.

skip everything.....and go right to the PC-12. Chics dig em and you'll end up there anyways. ;)

plus....it'll hold more mutts than a MU-2. :D

@TimRF79, regarding Cessna 182 vs Cardinal. My wife and I looked at 180HP 172's, Cardinals (B models with 180hp) and 182's. My wife being a practical pilot then suggested to me (not a pilot at the time) to learn W&B.

I weigh a bit more than you. My wife weighs less than yours and your dog is close to my daughter's weight. So we're pretty close. For all 3 planes, W&B was okay but the Skylane is the easy winner. Now add a another person and you're looking at leaving behind some fuel on all but the 182.

The Cardinal access looks amazing with that big, wide low door. But as others have mentioned watch out for CG on the cardinal when lower on fuel and the doggie isn't with.

Another sweet thing about the 182 is just remove the rear seats if it's just you and the Mrs and the puppy. Then you can even put the crate back there. A 182 with the rear seats removed is quite a hauler considering you can even load over 100 lbs on the baggage area.

I have never flown in a Cardinal. My instructor went from our 182 to training someone in a Cardinal. He had 2 comments. First, he said he felt like he was sitting angled back due to the sweep of the windshield. His second comment was more clear "The 182 really climbs compared to the Cardinal!".

Your case sounds a bit like an exception to the rule of buying your last plane first. Why not entertain a fixed gear 182 and fly it until it's too slow or too small and then trade up.

I am very certain that I would like to get my commercial rating, as well as my HP, complex (prop and gear) endorsement.
I understand insurance cost for planes is driven by time/ experience with characteristics.
Hence if I get a plane that meets all 3 criteria, each flying hour will count triple and help reduce insurance rates sooner.

Unless I am mistaken, my club no longer has a single piston high performance plane..

I am very certain that I would like to get my commercial rating, as well as my HP, complex (prop and gear) endorsement.
I understand insurance cost for planes is driven by time/ experience with characteristics.
Hence if I get a plane that meets all 3 criteria, each flying hour will count triple and help reduce insurance rates sooner.

Unless I am mistaken, my club no longer has a single piston high performance plane..

Never heard HP experience was important. Retract definitely.

Is HP hours not important for insurance rates, when you have a HP plane (maybe I misunderstood something).

Is HP hours not important for insurance rates, when you have a HP plane (maybe I misunderstood something).
I don’t think I’ve ever filled out an insurance form asking me how much high horsepower time I have.

Aside from the initial endorsement, high HP is really a meaningless number. The difference between an 85hp Continental and a 600 HP P&W is all in the rudder trim.

For me in my 182, it was $1604 for the year for $125k hull and the standard $1MM/$100k. 0 time in type and 46TT. No hour requirement before solo. They wanted to know IR, TT, ME, RG, Sea, and glider

For me in my 182, it was $1604 for the year for $125k hull and the standard $1MM/$100k. 0 time in type and 46TT. No hour requirement before solo. They wanted to know IR, TT, ME, RG, Sea, and glider

For comparison, us two old farts with loads of 182 time are paying about $970 but we have a lower hull value and same split. One of us a Commercial/Instrument CFI (Which adds the question, any training other than owners in the aircraft..? Don’t say yes, the number you get back will be eye watering...) the other Private no Instrument.

Also learned nobody would quote $1M smooth anymore this year. Seemed to be industry wide. If not every place, definitely a couple of the few actual underwriters.

And of course lowish medical limits per occupant and all the usual ways to extract more money from your pocket... which often can’t be raised much...

So you have that to look forward to as your total time and time in type builds. :)

Took seat in a mooney this weekend. That is definitely out, cant move the yoke a my legs would be in the way...
Besides I heard it is a lot tougher to fly than an arrow...

Took seat in a mooney this weekend. That is definitely out, cant move the yoke a my legs would be in the way...
Besides I heard it is a lot tougher to fly than an arrow...

I’m guessing you pull the seat up too close, your legs need to be straight, it’s not a position that comes naturally.

They aren’t hard, but they are unforgiving of poor speed management and stalls can be exciting if poorly handled.

I had the seat so far back that my legs where fully extended when getting maximum rudder, could have not gone further back, or I would not be able to reach rudders all the way.

I had the seat so far back that my legs where fully extended when getting maximum rudder, could have not gone further back, or I would not be able to reach rudders all the way.

Then how are your legs hitting the yoke?

Then how are your legs hitting the yoke?
When not rudder down, legs are in the way.
Not to mention that if one leg is fully extended to get the rudder down, the other leg comes up furhter.
This would not allow to do crosswind landings with the rudder/aileron method (the non crabb-mathod)

If you can land a Cherokee, you can land a Mooney. Mooney's aren't hard to land at all. Just get your speed on final right, double check the gear, flare and hold it off. Lands just fine.

Mooney seats are close to the floor, which puts your legs straight out in front of you. Some find that uncomfortable.

When not rudder down, legs are in the way.
Not to mention that if one leg is fully extended to get the rudder down, the other leg comes up furhter.
This would not allow to do crosswind landings with the rudder/aileron method (the non crabb-mathod)

I’m 6’ with 33” inseam, there is a 6’9” owner on Mooneyspace, neither of us have a problem with leg room. These are with mid bodies, I can’t imagine how you have a problem.

I’m 6’ with 33” inseam, there is a 6’9” owner on Mooneyspace, neither of us have a problem with leg room. These are with mid bodies, I can’t imagine how you have a problem.
The club plane is a M20F, not sure what body that is; if my memory is correct, I got a 35" inseam.
Maybe there is some seat adjustment that I missed?

Two CFI's noted that Mooneys require more pilot skills than a Arrow?

The club plane is a M20F, not sure what body that is; if my memory is correct, I got a 35" inseam.
Maybe there is some seat adjustment that I missed?

Two CFI's noted that Mooneys require more pilot skills than a Arrow?
IIRC, they added additional rearward adjustment at some point.
On my J I can’t depress the brakes without fully stretching my leg and pointing my toes, preventing accidental locking the brakes with the seat in aft position. In cruise I unlock and go all the way back to allow me to move my legs including normal seating position.

Mooney have laminar flow wings, supposedly they lose lift at stall point, where if you look at angle of attack vs lift chart of normal wings, they peak at stall, but still provide lift a degree or two past stall point. So they can be touchy, depending on the model. POH recommends stalls, slow flight be done at 6000’ AGL or better.

The landing gear doesn’t absorb the landing shock as well as oleo struts, if you want to look like ace pilot on landing, buy a Bonanza.
Mooney needs to be landed with a somewhat delicate touch. They take a beating but you’ll feel it.

Back