What Plane to Buy

First of all, forget 40K.

Bah, humbug.

Paid less than 20, turnkey, regularly flown, 1600 hours to overhaul. Maintained by a bang on, no bs reputable shop. I weigh 10 pounds less than the OP and fly two-up with other grown men all the time. Not saying it’s for everyone (definitely not), but it is a fun little bottle rocket more than adequate to train, build time, and have lots of fun. Just sayin there are deals out there.

OPs son sounds like an O-Lineman, though. Piper Cherokee 6. :)

There have been a few nice 172s out here with mid time engines for under 40 as well.

Paid less than 20, turnkey, regularly flown, 1600 hours to overhaul. Maintained by a bang on, no bs reputable shop. I weigh 10 pounds less than the OP and fly two-up with other grown men all the time. Not saying it’s for everyone (definitely not), but it is a fun little bottle rocket more than adequate to train, build time, and have lots of fun. Just sayin there are deals out there.

I assume you are meaning a 172 for less than 20K? I cannot find that on the web, and I am willing to buy site-unseen (with a checkout by the A&P of course).

For everyone else, I appreciate the help, but I got the quote back from Gallagher and I am looking at $6500yr for a Comanche 180 and about the same for a Bonanza - NOPE! And yes, I had her double check. The 172 I can get for less than 1K a year. There is some good news.

Bah, humbug.

OPs son sounds like an O-Lineman, though. Piper Cherokee 6. :)

There have been a few nice 172s out here with mid time engines for under 40 as well.

@Brent Perry Mine is the Grumman in the picture. Insurance is $57/month. It’s not exactly a heavy hauler, but we pay less than 600/month for hangar fees, aircraft insurance and vehicle insurance on 5 vehicles - including the plane.

There are a couple decent 172s on Trade-a-Plane right now for under 40...38.5k for one with less than 200 hrs on the overhaul here in SA and 2900TT, and 36k for a really nice looking and clean 172e (900 hrs on overhaul)

Last edited:
@Brent Perry Mine is the Grumman in the picture. Insurance is $57/month. It’s not exactly a heavy hauler, but we pay less than 600/month for hangar fees, aircraft insurance and vehicle insurance on 5 vehicles - including the plane.

There are a couple decent 172s on Trade-a-Plane right now for under 40...38.5k for one with less than 200 hrs on the overhaul here in SA and 2900TT, and 36k for a really nice looking and clean 172e (900 hrs on overhaul)
I appreciate that, funny as I was just looking at those today. It is strange their are several on there for around the price for one near me...a 1958 172, 300 SMO but has seen better days and has damage history (hard landing that crushed the firewall in 2011 - triggered the overhaul.

Your plane is a Traveler? or Yankee?

For everyone else, I appreciate the help, but I got the quote back from Gallagher and I am looking at $6500yr for a Comanche 180 and about the same for a Bonanza - NOPE! And yes, I had her double check.
I'd be curious to know what that rate becomes once you have 100 hours in type and once you have an instrument rating.

I assume you are meaning a 172 for less than 20K? I cannot find that on the web, and I am willing to buy site-unseen (with a checkout by the A&P of course).

For everyone else, I appreciate the help, but I got the quote back from Gallagher and I am looking at $6500yr for a Comanche 180 and about the same for a Bonanza - NOPE! And yes, I had her double check. The 172 I can get for less than 1K a year. There is some good news.

I would go try on a Tiger. 6-4 might be tight on headroom depending. Lots of leg room though. Need to try it on. It could be a good solution.

I'd be curious to know what that rate becomes once you have 100 hours in type and once you have an instrument rating.
I asked her that, the rate goes down but it is still really expensive, I forget how much. Guess the good thing is someone WILL I sure me in whatever plane I want, it will just cost me until I get the hours. Guess I have to get a “boring” plane until then.
Even tailwheel aircraft they seem to want 200hrs in for cheap rates. Unless I learn to fly in one...

I would go try on a Tiger. 6-4 might be tight on headroom depending. Lots of leg room though. Need to try it on. It could be a good solution.
I would like to, just gotta find one locally.
Pretty sure the yankee is too small for me, but who knows. I have a feeling that I could probably fit in most aircraft out there, all just a matter of how uncomfortable I am willing to be. Useful load along with weight and balance with others with me is also a bit of a concern.

Back