What percent of Gear Up Landings are simply "I forgot"

My uneducated guess is the vast majority are the pilot forgetting for whatever reason, regardless of experience level or the macho (or machoess) pilot saying for sure "it will NEVER happen to me". I can sometimes get distracted easily, so I decided a while back that I would stick with fixed gear. That takes one thing out of the equation. If that makes me a wimp pilot, then so be it :).

If I had a question mark by my gear position on a amphib I'd go land all day long, not sure how the lake handles a partial gear down in the water, but many amphibs can land gear up on land with nothing but some paint damage, sometimes zero damage if on grass, land gear down in water it it could be the end of not only the aircraft but you.

Everyone standing around the field, including the tower, could see his gear was all the way up and the doors closed. Lakes don't have subtle gear, and there are quite a few of them on the field; they are not at all unfamiliar.

His plane might have minimal damage, but he called out the fire trucks, and would have closed the only runway. The least he could do would be to land at one of the many local airports with parallel or seldom used runways (like Oakland's 33).

Closest I came to witnessing was a Lake with a stuck gear door, circling Palo Alto. Then, he called the "equipment." Several fire trucks raced onto the field. After several circles, the pilot pulled his head out of his butt and figured out he was flying an AMPHIBIAN with a big body of water right next to the airport.
You said it was a stuck gear door. Did it ever occur to you that the door may have been partially open and that may have been why a water landing wasn't his immediate first choice???

If that was me, I would have spent some time troubleshooting and confirming what my situation was before nonchalantly putting it down in the water.

You said it was a stuck gear door. Did it ever occur to you that the door may have been partially open and that may have been why a water landing wasn't his immediate first choice???

If that was me, I would have spent some time troubleshooting and confirming what my situation was before nonchalantly putting it down in the water.

Then, why the fire trucks?

We could see the doors from the ground.

I've no problem with the guy troubleshooting, but that's not what was going on if there were multiple fire trucks in the area.

Not sure if the first one is a clip from a longer video, but there's a very sad one about a father landing gear down on water and losing his son in the process.

It was shown at a Cirrus Critical Decision Making course.

That was a really hard one to watch. :(

I'd just find a grass strip.

Flying amphibs changes your whole view of gear position, really makes you super OCD about it, I got my flows, I say aloud "landing water gear up, lights up, blocks forward nose wheels up. Back that up with my checklist. I do this call out on downwind, final, and again a quick look at the light as I'm settling into my landing sight picture.

My take on all this is "probably most but not all". Nobody knows exactly answer.

My favorite retractable landing gear is the only one the FAA decided didn't need a back-up. The Old Mooney Johnson bar-powered by pilot strength. Reliable if properly maintained. A few issues e.g. watch passengers feet, but fun. I ended up with a more modern Mooney, electromechanical with a mechanical backup where you pull a handle several times to get gear down. The Bonanza I used to fly required a lot of cranking to lower gear manually. It'd be a chore in IMC.

Thank goodness for the backup procedures. Coming back to SJC the other day, my gear didn't go down when I moved the lever. I make it a practice to keep my hand on the knob until I see three greens and confirm out loud that there are three greens. In this case, nothing. No whirring of the motor, no clunking of the gear into place, nothing.

Slowed down and selected the emergency gear extension which removes the hydraulic pressure holding the gear up letting gravity (and the airflow in the case of the main gear) lower the gear. Glad that worked, or I'd be here reporting a +1 in the real problem column.
Something similar happened to me when getting checked out in the 182RG at Marine City, MI. We were headed back to home base from a nearby field (KPHN) and I had put the gear up, but noticed that the gear up indicator had failed to come on, though the wheels were no longer visible. At first I thought this was a "manufactured" failure courtesy of my instructor, but a quick look at the CBs dispelled that notion immediately. He told me to cycle the gear back down, and of course I did immediately. Down came the wheels, but no green. Though I don't recall doing it, I'm pretty sure we checked the bulb. Looking at the gear the instructor said he thought they were down and locked, but I wasn't so sure. I wanted to pump them down by hand, so we put them up again and pulled the circuit breaker. I pumped and pumped, long after the wheels were down, but still no green.

Finally the manual gear handle was too stiff for me to give it any more, so the instructor gave it one last hard pull, and... success! Green, down and locked. By then we were entering the pattern at home. I was still not too confident, so I landed as carefully as I could, keeping the weight on the mains as long as possible. It was really one of the nicest greasers I've ever done. We put the plane away and reported the failure to the maintenance guys.

It turned out it had indeed been a hydraulic leak - and we had lost enough fluid that it was almost a miracle that we were able to pump the gear down. Putting the gear back up a second time was exactly the wrong thing to do! We got very lucky that day... or rather, Bill (the owner) did, since gear up landings are usually harmless to the plane's occupants, just very expen$ive.

Since then I've had issues with my 177RG's gear system too, though no hydraulic leaks so far (knock on wood). Anyway approaching to land there's always the thought in the back of my mind, please G_d let the gear come down. Probably why I've never come close to forgetting the gear in many hundred landings in that plane. (Which isn't cause for complacency, of course.)

What percentage of gear down landings are "Oh God, I almost forgot"?

The ones that are not a memory lapse are usually announced on frequency, although I guess there could be some where all three collapsed on landing; pretty rare.

I can think of one case I've seen where all three wheels collapsed. It wouldn't have been heard on frequency either. It was a Mooney with an electric gear actuator, the pilot was low time, and really low time in the Mooney. My guess is that he had minimal training during the transition, so he probably didn't recognize the warning signs when it happened.

Anyway, in this case the landing gear actuator motor failed. The motor had not been overhauled in a long time although the actuator AD was being addressed. The pilot swore that he had a gear down indication but I don't think he did. The gear was probably 7/8 of the way extended and he touched down on the wheels but shortly after during the roll out the plane started sinking as the gear collapsed. Damage to the plane was minimal, but it was enough to total the plane since it had a prop strike.

When I was working on my complex endorsement (a long time ago) we had a problem with the gear in the Arrow. I was configuring for slow flight, including dropping the gear. As we reduced power and dropped the flaps my CFI and I did not notice the usual thump and reaction in the rudders as the gear went down. No three green lights, either. Dug out the emergency checklist and sure as heck, one of the CBs had popped. Pushed it in and the gear went down. We flew it home with the gear down and let the mechanic try and figure out why the CB popped. We weren't about to create a real emergency by raising the gear and then trying to lower it (without success). BTW, I never did hear a reason why the CB popped and I never had trouble with the gear on the plane again.

We flew it home with the gear down and let the mechanic try and figure out why the CB popped. We weren't about to create a real emergency by raising the gear and then trying to lower it

I so agree Ghery.

Problem.
Gear goes down.
Leave it down!

To beat a dead horse a little more...

...any time the excuse is, "I forgot", the real culprit is lack of checklist discipline. The whole point of checklists is that humans forget stuff!

Yep. What the hell else are they "forgetting"?

Thank goodness for the backup procedures. Coming back to SJC the other day, my gear didn't go down when I moved the lever. I make it a practice to keep my hand on the knob until I see three greens and confirm out loud that there are three greens. In this case, nothing. No whirring of the motor, no clunking of the gear into place, nothing.

Slowed down and selected the emergency gear extension which removes the hydraulic pressure holding the gear up letting gravity (and the airflow in the case of the main gear) lower the gear. Glad that worked, or I'd be here reporting a +1 in the real problem column.
I have experienced the exact same thing in a Saratoga. Mechanic never could reproduce the problem. No issues since.

...any time the excuse is, "I forgot", the real culprit is lack of checklist discipline.

I can confirm (2nd hand, but very reliably so) that the §44709 reexamination 'ride' spends not inconsiderable amounts of time observing the correct and timely use of said documents in the cockpit.

PS I follow threads like this, scouring for those who suggest it would never happen to them - then follow up years later, with Karma-Gotchas! Nah, I wouldn't do that. :D

I have experienced the exact same thing in a Saratoga. Mechanic never could reproduce the problem. No issues since.

Yeah, we never found exact root cause, although my mechanic theorizes that the bus bar wasn't properly engaged with the circuit breaker after the avionics shop replaced a bad autopilot breaker. He replaced the gear breaker, and I opened up the old one to see if there was anything obviously wrong. Nada.. Very tough to get behind the panel to check things.

It was a long flight down to Santa Paula to have my mechanic look at the issue. Flew the whole way with the gear down and locked. No way I was going to tempt fate by bringing it up for the flight. 140mph is a lot slower than the 200 I'm used to.

Let me add that checklist discipline is hard.

My Pre-Landing checklist is now just 3 items, one of which is a bit silly...

1) Seat belts - SECURE
2) Boost pump - ON
3) Brakes - CHECK

Even so, my goal is to always run through it 5 miles out. And I almost always do. Reinforces the habit for if and when I ever find myself in a more complex aircraft, if nothing else.

Yet I'd be lying if I said I never went to turn off my boost pump running the After Landing checklist, to find I somehow missed it. And then I think, "Good thing it wasn't something important!" Like extending the gear.

Humans make mistakes and forget stuff - it's in our nature. But good checklist discipline is a skill to hone and maintain, not one to let slide due to complacency.

Not sure if the first one is a clip from a longer video, but there's a very sad one about a father landing gear down on water and losing his son in the process.

It was shown at a Cirrus Critical Decision Making course.

Yep, it's on the AOPA website. Very well done and very sad.

Back