What people use for easy to study?

SFLafayette

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SFLafayette
I was wondering if there are some easy to study materials like online interactive or dvd, etc? Well, actually I know there are both online and dvd materials, but is there one that most people prefer over the other?

Thank you.

I read through the downloadable FAA PDFs, and old Jeppesen book... watched tons of youtube videos and finally Sporty's study buddy to pass the written. However since then I continue to study, look at sectionals, create flight plans ect..... start with the FAA stuff I guess.

What course? Private pilot? Commercial? ATP? Aircraft type specific systems and/or procedures?

I was wondering if there are some easy to study materials like online interactive or dvd, etc? Well, actually I know there are both online and dvd materials, but is there one that most people prefer over the other?

Thank you.

Ask your instructor. If he's a good one, he'll sync lessons with something specific.

There are a bunch of apps and DVDs, but I don't particularly like any of them for a private pilot. The format is a bit slow. There is a lot of potential in apps, but they just all seem to function like electronic books, videos, and/or flashcards.

Download the FAA books from here:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

I used a Jeppesen-Sanderson book as well (20 years ago). I use an iPad today so I'd be looking for something that can work with it. DVDs are dinosaurs now.

Before your check ride, be sure to watch the YouTube video(s) of Andy Munnis, a Denver area DPE. He goes through what he expects of applicants and what they most often screw up. Very helpful. He did a PPL and IR one I think.

Before your check ride, be sure to watch the YouTube video(s) of Andy Munnis, a Denver area DPE. He goes through what he expects of applicants and what they most often screw up. Very helpful. He did a PPL and IR one I think.

I've watched that too, there's actually 3 or 4 that I've watched.

I've always liked the Sporty's stuff for study material, used it about 15 years ago for my Comm Helo. To me, it seemed liked they taught the material rather than "teaching the test" like the King material. If you google "Sporty's Study Buddy" you will find some stuff, even a free Study Buddy app. I have not looked at it; if you do so, perhaps you could let the rest of us know what you think of it.

I used King and Bob Gardners materials for the written. For my IR used the above and Sportys video on iPad.

I like the ASA and Jeppesen private pilot books. Good supplement to the dry FAA books.

The King Videos + the Gleim PPL Written book got me a great score. Great investments.

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airpane Flying Handbook. Both are free and good publications.

All these suggestions with no feedback on how the OP learns….Or even what the goal is.

I guess free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Not everyone is the same. Consult a good CFI, or do some deep down searching on how you learn new things, both mental and physical. Decide on how deep you want to go. This ranges from the bare minimum to pass the written exam (but you had better be real good at memorization if you're going that route), to a detailed understanding of the aircraft systems at a fundamental level.

Last edited:
Download the FAA books from here:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

I used a Jeppesen-Sanderson book as well (20 years ago). I use an iPad today so I'd be looking for something that can work with it. DVDs are dinosaurs now.

Before your check ride, be sure to watch the YouTube video(s) of Andy Munnis, a Denver area DPE. He goes through what he expects of applicants and what they most often screw up. Very helpful. He did a PPL and IR one I think.[/QUOT/]

"Andy Munnis, a Denver area DPE", is this the one you are referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzR8f1Npss?

Back