What Now?

B

basicmedflyer

At 60 I've had a 3rd class medical for 20 years. Took absolutely no meds. Two months ago I decided to do the basic med. Went fine, even got my CDL med at the same time.
Two weeks later with no warning I have to have quadruple by pass! No family history, never smoked, 6' at 190lbs. I'm still in shock. Dr. says full recovery with no damage.
I have decided to sell my Cardinal and go LSA. Can I do this with no additional paperwork since it only requires driver license?

I am pretty sure you can get your 3rd class if you still want it.

Contact Dr. Bruce. Someone will give you his contact soon.

If your last medical was not failed or revoked and you have a valid driver's license, you're good to go LSA.

In my opinion, if you can drive a car you can fly LSA. Common sense prevails when flying LSA.

I think it would be wise to see if the doctor has any restrictions -- probaby dietary restrictions, but some may affect when you fly -- avoid hot weather, no high altitude (you will be restricted under 10,000 ft for LSA anyway).

Check any meds against the FAA drug website.

Last edited:
zeldman is correct. LSA and basic med are yours too.

Is a bypass one of the big three that requires an SI even if you've held a valid medical in the past 10 years?

EDIT:

OK, it says coronary heart disease that required treatment necessitates a one time SI.

Contact Bruce, it may well be worth jumping through the hoops once to get to BasicMed.

These are the cardiac conditions requiring a one time SI under BasicMed:
A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
  1. Myocardial infarction;
  2. Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
  3. Cardiac valve replacement; or
  4. Heart replacement.

^ this guy "might" know what he is talking about.
For the flying I do, I really don't want to jump thru hoops for 3rd class. I have never failed a medical. I want to go LSA, so to be clear, I don''t have to use the basic med, just use driver license? Of course I plan to be fully healed and talk to my Dr., but see no use trying for 3rd class or basic med if I don't need them for LSA?

For sure, with basicmed now, unless you're flying for hire or international getting a FAA medical doesn't make much sense.

If you're going to talk to your doc anyway, and you're going listen to him, why not use basic Med and your current plane?
Lots more capabilities with your Cessna and basic Med

Ether way I'd talk to this guy

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

...If you're going to talk to your doc anyway, and you're going listen to him, why not use basic Med and your current plane?...
He would have to get a one-time SI for the heart problem in order to use BasicMed.

I want to go LSA, so to be clear, I don''t have to use the basic med, just use driver license?
Yup. As long as you do "not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner."

^ this guy "might" know what he is talking about.
Mostly, but I'm quite certain that he is mistaken about BasicMed. The quadruple bypass means he has "coronary heart disease that has required treatment". He would need the one time SI. :(

He does NOT need an SI for LSA.

Mostly, but I'm quite certain that he is mistaken about BasicMed. The quadruple bypass means he has "coronary heart disease that has required treatment". He would need the one time SI. :(

He does NOT need an SI for LSA.

Thanks all. After my 4 week check up next week I will contact Dr Chien for guidance.

I'd contact him now. Perhaps he can provide language that your Doc needs to write in his report that will smooth the process down the road?

-Skip
+1 to contacting Dr. Chien earlier than later. In addition to language in the report, you can get the punch list of documentation to obtain. Better to know early what the FAA wants rather than scramble due to missing items.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back