What Must Be Reported?

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I've heard hangar talk about what needs to be reported to the FAA or AME. I've written most of it off but I do wander about a few things.

• My CFI claimed that his medical was put on hold thanks to a nasty ear infection. Is this just his BS or are we required to report these?

• Medication such as antibiotics or pain killers? I was given a few bottles of Tylenol 3, (*a prescription for) Vicodin (turns out it was never dropped off :)), and recently regular over dosage of ibuprofen. None are for anything serious. Just pre and post dental work stuff plus an ongoing one for two wisdom teeth coming through.

• Weight and height changes? I know some states require updates on licenses. Is 70lbs loss something I need to report?

• Admission to hospitals?

Last edited:
I've heard hangar talk about what needs to be reported to the FAA or AME. I've written most of it off but I do wander about a few things.

• My CFI claimed that his medical was put on hold thanks to a nasty ear infection. Is this just his BS or are we required to report these?

• Medication such as antibiotics or pain killers? I was given about 5 bottles of Tylenol 3, Vicodin, and recently regular overdosage of ibuprofen. None are for anything serious. Just pre and post dental work stuff plus an ongoing one for two wisdom teeth coming through.

• Weight and height changes? I know some states require updates on licenses. Is 70lbs loss something I need to report?

I hope not about the weight thing. People lose and gain weight all the time.

For starters, get a copy of FAA 8500-8 and read the instructions, looking carefully at the details of questions 17, 18 & 19.

18 U - Admission to hospital

Tylenol 3 (codeine) and Vicodin are not only reportable but on the Do Not Fly list for some period of time. If you're an AOPA member you can find more details on the Members section under Medical.

As for overdose of ibuprofen - what's a regular dose?

Next, stop advertising under your own name. Believe everything Dr Bruce tells you.

For starters, get a copy of FAA 8500-8 and read the instructions, looking carefully at the details of questions 17, 18 & 19.

18 U - Admission to hospital

Tylenol 3 (codeine) and Vicodin are not only reportable but on the Do Not Fly list for some period of time. If you're an AOPA member you can find more details on the Members section under Medical.

As for overdose of ibuprofen - what's a regular dose?

Next, stop advertising under your own name. Believe everything Dr Bruce tells you.

The hospital admission might occur for an oral surgery. Knowing that it must be reported I will just ask if they can space the surgeries out over several visits rather than being an outpatient. When I called the AME I got my medical from he said to google it. I googled and nothing. The Vicodin I ask about because I was prescribed it but I didn't take it. I actually haven't picked it up. The Tylenol with codeine was only taken 3x and I still have it. Ibuprofen was in the amounts of 600mg,800mg and 1200mg and ultimately was what I took. I heard talk last week of a pilot that lost his corporate job thanks to Vicodin after a surgery. I don't want to lose my medical over it.

The Vicodin was never touched. I mention it because it's on record.
Tylenol was about 10?

Last edited:
*Ahhh actually omit the Vicodin! I asked my mom about it and she pulled the prescription out of her purse!

Theres one dodged bullet.

Dr Bruce will have the correct answers. Basically no flying while on certain pain killers associated with recovery from surgery. Normal recovery and off the meds for a period of time should clear you to fly again. Continued use of certain pain killers is an issue.

Any surgeries or Dr visits or Hospital stays are reportable.

Dr Bruce will have the correct answers. Basically no flying while on certain pain killers associated with recovery from surgery. Normal recovery and off the meds for a period of time should clear you to fly again. Continued use of certain pain killers is an issue.

Any surgeries or Dr visits or Hospital stays are reportable.

I just read an FAA document targeted at ATC. I read that "routine" dental visits don't need to be reported. Now I wonder what the difference between a filling,tooth extraction, and visit to an oral surgeon is :dunno:

I think my visits are surgeries because a waiver has to be signed for parental consent? Other than this I am in perfect health and my only other pain occurs when I see my bill after a flight.

Not required to report if it clears up with no lingering effects unless you visited a health professional, in which case the visit is reportable. But unless Bruce corrects me, that should not result in a deferral. OTOH, you probably can't pass the exam while you still have it, so you'd wait until it clears up to take the exam.

• Medication such as antibiotics or pain killers? I was given a few bottles of Tylenol 3, (*a prescription for) Vicodin (turns out it was never dropped off :)), and recently regular over dosage of ibuprofen. None are for anything serious. Just pre and post dental work stuff plus an ongoing one for two wisdom teeth coming through.
If you're still taking them at the time you fill out the application, you must report them in the medication block. Otherwise, you'd only report the visit at which it was prescribed, and, obviously, the reason for the visit.

You list your height and weight at the time of the exam on the form. There's no need to report your previous height/weight -- the FAA has that and will ask if they have a question.

That is specifically listed as reportable. You check the box in Block 18 and explain below.

Not required to report if it clears up with no lingering effects unless you visited a health professional, in which case the visit is reportable. But unless Bruce corrects me, that should not result in a deferral. OTOH, you probably can't pass the exam while you still have it, so you'd wait until it clears up to take the exam.

If you're still taking them at the time you fill out the application, you must report them in the medication block. Otherwise, you'd only report the visit at which it was prescribed, and, obviously, the reason for the visit.

You list your height and weight at the time of the exam on the form. There's no need to report your previous height/weight -- the FAA has that and will ask if they have a question.

That is specifically listed as reportable. You check the box in Block 18 and explain below.

I was wondering what must be reported while already having a medical. The impression I was given was that theres some magical form that you have to update if you get new meds or whatever. I have a 1st class but I don't need to renew for a good four months. Do I just report it then?

I was wondering what must be reported while already having a medical. The impression I was given was that theres some magical form that you have to update if you get new meds or whatever.
No, there is not. Per 61.53, all you do is not fly until you're sure you're within specs for your medical certificate again and you're not taking the drugs any more. Problem arises when whatever is wrong doesn't go away (say, diabetes versus an ear infection) or you'll be continuing on "no-fly" medication. Then you may need to get permission to go back to flying, and that means you contact Bruce Chien and ask how to do that.

I have a 1st class but I don't need to renew for a good four months. Do I just report it then?
If this is back to the ear infection, don't fly until it goes away and you're off whatever meds they gave you (and, of course, your balance and hearing are back to normal), and then report the doctor visit for that infection in the appropriate place on your next medical certificate application.

No, there is not. Per 61.53, all you do is not fly until you're sure you're within specs for your medical certificate again and you're not taking the drugs any more. Problem arises when whatever is wrong doesn't go away (say, diabetes versus an ear infection) or you'll be continuing on "no-fly" medication. Then you may need to get permission to go back to flying, and that means you contact Bruce Chien and ask how to do that.

If this is back to the ear infection, don't fly until it goes away and you're off whatever meds they gave you (and, of course, your balance and hearing are back to normal), and then report the doctor visit for that infection in the appropriate place on your next medical certificate application.

Thanks! I'll note the dates and reasons before I forget. The ear infection was my CFI, just checking out his excuse. The no-fly medicines shouldn't matter for a bit. I haven't taken them in three weeks and I don't plan to solo for another good year or two.

Thanks for the info!

I have a 1st class but I don't need to renew for a good four months. Do I just report it then?
Actually, you don't need to renew for almost 5 years. IIRC, you're (well) under 40, and obviously do not possess an ATP or even commercial certificate, so you will just exercise 3rd class privileges on your 1st class certificate.

Beyond that, Ron gave good advice!

Thanks! I'll note the dates and reasons before I forget.
I keep an FAA Medical page in the Notes section of my smart phone. I note the date, doc, and reason for every reportable visit before I walk out of the office. Sure makes things easy when I fill out the application every year (I need a 2nd Class for my work) and for one of you 5-year folks, I can't imagine trying to remember it all.

I keep an FAA Medical page in the Notes section of my smart phone. I note the date, doc, and reason for every reportable visit before I walk out of the office. Sure makes things easy when I fill out the application every year (I need a 2nd Class for my work) and for one of you 5-year folks, I can't imagine trying to remember it all.
Similar to this, I'm keeping an Excel going for my flying activities. One set of sheets does the dispatch the FBO I rent from wants when I ask for the key; another mirrors my logbook; and a third records my doctor visits.

As Ron said, so much goes on in life, it's challenging to remember all the details the FAA forms want you to record.

Actually, you don't need to renew for almost 5 years. IIRC, you're (well) under 40, and obviously do not possess an ATP or even commercial certificate, so you will just exercise 3rd class privileges on your 1st class certificate.

Beyond that, Ron gave good advice!

The school that I attend requires a valid 2nd class medical at minimum at all times. I got the 1st class because I intended on starting last fall or this past winter, plus I planned on soloing, two birds with one medical. Plus they were the same price as Third.

The school that I attend requires a valid 2nd class medical at minimum at all times. I got the 1st class because I intended on starting last fall or this past winter, plus I planned on soloing, two birds with one medical. Plus they were the same price as Third.
Ugh. Their 2nd class requirement then costs you four years of medical certification, or about $360. The first class is good for 1 year since you're under 40. And yes, as long as you're under 40 when you take the exam, the duration of the 1st and 2nd class certification is the same.

Ugh. Their 2nd class requirement then costs you four years of medical certification, or about $360. The first class is good for 1 year since you're under 40. And yes, as long as you're under 40 when you take the exam, the duration of the 1st and 2nd class certification is the same.

Well it's a two year program and the transfer school doesn't care. I'm in the process of changing majors so this problem will go away by fall.

When I was running a collegiate aviation program, we made the Pilot track students get 2nd class medicals at the beginning so we'd find out before they spent $75K on that degree program if they couldn't pass one, thus being unable to utilize their degree as a professional pilot. However, they were not required to get another one every year once they knew they could pass it, and could operate on their Third Class privileges thereafter.

That is a good idea I am going to have to copy. I used to write them in a notebook, then I lost the notebook. I'm due for my medical next month and am already not looking forward to going through paperwork to figure out my last years worth of doctor visits...

That is a good idea I am going to have to copy. I used to write them in a notebook, then I lost the notebook.
Nice thing about my smart phone is that even if I lose it, the data are backed up on my laptop, and the laptop is backed up on Carbonite.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back