What music ....

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
do you like to listen to when you're doing aerobatics?

Don't know about aerobatics, but Weird Al is good background noise for IFR flights. ;)

Not into aerobatics....wish I could.

But.....when flying we always listen to Country. I rather listen to the 60-70's but my Bride likes country and I don't mind.

The singing of the flying wires. :D

I don't know. The volume doesn't go high enough to drown out the screams of my instructor.

Marty Robbins.

Or, Shakira.

"Green over Blue" from "Unusual Attitude" by Dwayne O'Brien

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what's playing, I can't hear it anyway due to the screaming. Mine.

Here's my current practice playlist:

La Grange, ZZ Top
Boys of Summer, The Ataris
Strike it Up, Black Box
Gonna Make You Sweat, C+C Music Factory
Gone, Daughtry
Long Train Runnin', The Doobie Brothers
Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
Kryptonite, 3 Doors Down
What'd I Say, Ray Charles
Sweet Soulation, C+C Music Factory

I'm usually whooped after that and need some mellow stuff for a while.

Here's my current practice playlist:

La Grange, ZZ Top
Boys of Summer, The Ataris
Strike it Up, Black Box
Gonna Make You Sweat, C+C Music Factory
Gone, Daughtry
Long Train Runnin', The Doobie Brothers
Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
Kryptonite, 3 Doors Down
What'd I Say, Ray Charles
Sweet Soulation, C+C Music Factory

I'm usually whooped after that and need some mellow stuff for a while.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I bet you are! I have Kravitz' Fly Away - Also, I might download some Jethro Tull - Stones - ZZ Top - Heart.... I borrowed a friends Ipod and listened thru a lot of what she had on it and made a list - but like you, if I use most of what I listed I'll have to settle it down before I"m back in the pattern for landing :). I'll check out the list you posted.....

I've got about 3500 songs on my phone that has everything on it from Cash and Robbins to Prince to Toby Keith to AC/DC and Rammstein. Hit shuffle and go.

The airplane. Listening to music while working the edges of an aircraft's envelope is rather unwise as you can miss the subtle sound cues that tell you where you are at in regards to airspeed and engine limits. The change and rate of change in the sounds indicate how quickly or slowly you are gaining and losing energy and you need to be able to compare that to where you are in any particular maneuver and how far from max/min energy state of the maneuver you are at so you know if you can complete the given maneuver without going outside of the energy parameters of the aircraft, and if you decide you can't, you can recover before exceeding those limits. Aerobatics is about extremely precise control of energy transfer.

The airplane. Listening to music while working the edges of an aircraft's envelope is rather unwise as you can miss the subtle sound cues that tell you where you are at in regards to airspeed and engine limits. The change and rate of change in the sounds indicate how quickly or slowly you are gaining and losing energy and you need to be able to compare that to where you are in any particular maneuver and how far from max/min energy state of the maneuver you are at so you know if you can complete the given maneuver without going outside of the energy parameters of the aircraft, and if you decide you can't, you can recover before exceeding those limits. Aerobatics is about extremely precise control of energy transfer.

Obviously they are just a whole lot better at it then you. Keep practicing.

The airplane...

The point you make is a good one but for the kind of plane I fly and the kind of acro that I'm doing when I've got the music cranked up is a little different than you might be used to? I fly a constant speed prop and when I dive in for practice I jam everything full forward and leave it there mostly. Any power changes I put in are on the order of "pull it all off" or "pull it back a third/half" or jam it back full forward. The only engine limit I'm generally concerned about while flying is the oil temp and there's a gauge right in front of me with a red LED that comes on when it's an problem so sound doesn't really factor in on that.

If I'm going out to practice something new or work on something that I'm pretty sure is going to end in an upset recovery, I'll leave the music off but not so much because of the ears as my own focused attention limits. My airplane is so freakin' loud that I use the best, highest attenuating hearing protection I can get and don't get much audio feedback on things like wind noise.

On the subject of operating near or beyond the performance envelope - I do two kinds of acro flying. Nearly every time I'm flying I'm on a plan or a sequence of linked aerobatic figures flown one after the other. As you point out energy management is a big part of flying these figures well, safely, and linked together so that the next figure is arrived at with enough energy and altitude to pull it off. For that reason, every figure has a set of altitude and airspeed limits associated with it. For example, I need 140 mph for a pull from level flight for a half loop up (immelman) to exit without settling off the top. Since I'm headed uphill on that maneuver, as long as I enter it at 140 or higher, I'm not too concerned about an entry altitude. So flying a sequence with these altitude and airspeed parameters for every figure and for every transition between figures is one type of flying.

The other is when I'm out trying something I've never done before (or well enough) or I'm intentionally trying to find, for example, the slowest speed at which I can enter an immelman without falling out of it. I want to practice exploring these limits so that I know if I'm in a contest sequence and I don't have the prerequisites for the figure, I can take a break and reposition myself instead of flying it in to an upset. When I'm out doing this kind of flying I turn the music off but again, not because of the noise, but my own personal 50 year old brain that just can't focus on what's going on when Daughtry is screaming in my ears :)

And finally, there's an advantage to flying practice with some kickin' tunes. I just practice harder and longer. The risk there is in over G on the plane from getting amped up on the music but that's not unlike the adrenalin rush from diving into the contest box with the judges watching. I frequently see nearly an extra G on the meter from a contest flight over what I see in practice.

Last edited:
Hi Henning,
Yes, I agree, music adds a layer of risk and for that reason I don't intend to be listening to it until I'm quite practiced and comfortable flying my simple maneuvers. I don't intent to compete so I really won't be pushing in that way. But, when I"m sure that I can fly the "easy" maneuvers safely and know how to fix a botch then I want to listen to some music to add to the "fun" of it.
Thanks for your concerns
Jean

Hi Henning,
Yes, I agree, music adds a layer of risk and for that reason I don't intend to be listening to it until I'm quite practiced and comfortable flying my simple maneuvers.

Naaaa, don't listen him. Watch this and tell me it's not more fun with the music on:

http://gallery.me.com/thejonaks#100578

Just make sure your iMusic device is secure before bustin' any moves.

Hey, cool videos... I watched all of them on the gallery too - When I watched the Sportsman one w/ the "Magic Carpet Ride" I couldn't help but smile and move my feet and hands and kind of my head - like I was looking left too... Congrats on the second place in the Intermediate :yesnod:
When I run on the elliptical or am driving long distances on the highway listening to music I fly acro in my imagination. Am looking forward to getting to fly it for real soon.
The pics of the little girl releasing butterflies was adorable. Was that you helping her?

Aerobatic flight is just about the coolest thing in the world and the most powerful drug I could imagine. My theory is this: when you where 8 years old and looking up at airplanes and birds in the sky, were you thinking of GPS/autopilot programming or shooting an ILS to minimums, or even WOW: I got 160 kts on 11 g/h! Hell no. You were looping and banking and diving at the ground and zooming back up again - all in your head of course. So my secret to life is to try as hard as I can to be and 8 year old in a 50 year old body. I've spent my whole like turning non-renewable fossil fuels into grins starting with mini-bikes and gokarts, racing dirt bikes and then road racing, boats, jetskis, hot rods & sports cars - you name it and I've gone as fast as it'll go. A Pitts and some aerobatic air space is the closest thing on earth to heaven.

Now, you're not gonna go do THAT without a sound track are you?

And, one of the best parts is that when you have the music ramped up and you're screaming around in a turn and go to pull straight up you won't get a speeding ticket! I used to drive a 5 liter, 5 speed, V8 mustang that my coworkers called my "red radio"....because they could hear me come into the parking lot and they were in the office... I drove from Dallas to Terrell 25 miles there and back for work - only got 1 ticket :) I was lucky.
So? Is that you helping out with the butterfly release?

Back