What material to study for IFR written?

odachoo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Odachoo
What are the most effective study materials for IFR written exam ?
I know there are many many different things around, but what was your favorite and most effective material you used for FAA IFR written ?

My favorite test prep book would be the GLEIM Instrument book.

The instrument flying handbook is also a good one to review. This is available free on the FAA website.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/FAA-H-8083-15B.pdf

There are a few good IFR AOPA Courses you can take as a review also. Not sure how much they'd help on the written though.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/

I've also heard good things about Prepware.

You can practice at www.exams4pilots.org

My favorite test prep book would be the GLEIM Instrument book.

]

Ditto:
Disclaimer: I am not instrument rated, but have taken the knowledge exam (scored 100%) before discontinuing training. I also used the Gleim book in prep for my Instrument add on for my GI certificate. I also like Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot".

Ditto:
Disclaimer: I am not instrument rated, but have taken the knowledge exam (scored 100%) before discontinuing training. I also used the Gleim book in prep for my Instrument add on for my GI certificate. I also like Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot".

Why did you discontinue training?

If you gotta know, I had to qiut working , move in with and care for my dying mother 24-7

I'm sorry to hear that, and you should know you're really a truly good person for doing that.

As far as the study material goes, I used Jepp and Gleim and various other stuff over the years. There's no one magic bullet. They can all get you there if you study.

I used ASA and Gleim books, but then used Sporty's Study Buddy practice tests. I took the test in March.

FAA pubs: Instrument Flying Handbook, Instrument Procedures Handbook, Aviation Weather, and Aviation Weather Services. You can download them all free on-line in .pdf format.

Then go through one of those commercially produced IR Knowledge Test books with all the questions and the book publisher's best guesses at the answers. Finally, get one of those practice test software packages and keep doing full 60-questions tests until you get 85 or better at least three times in a row.

Do all that and you'll ace it.

Back