What maintenance can an owner do on Oxygen systems?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Some planes have built-in oxygen. Some have portable bottles. A few have "semi-portable" systems which are essentially portable bottles with built-in fastener to secure a removable bottle.

I don't see any mention of oxygen in FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Paragraph C. The closest thing in there seems to be an okay for owner maintenance of hoses - so it seems an owner can replace the tubing and canulas. But is that all? What are the limits on the maintenance that a private pilot can do on these O2 systems?

Some planes have built-in oxygen. Some have portable bottles. A few have "semi-portable" systems which are essentially portable bottles with built-in fastener to secure a removable bottle.

I don't see any mention of oxygen in FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Paragraph C. The closest thing in there seems to be an okay for owner maintenance of hoses - so it seems an owner can replace the tubing and canulas. But is that all? What are the limits on the maintenance that a private pilot can do on these O2 systems?

There isn't much to do really, pull the bottle occasionally for hydro testing or send the regulator in for service unless you know how to do those and understand 'O2 clean' techniques and requirements.

Seems you already know the answer, stick to the 43 appendix a para c list, if it isn't SPECIFICLY mentioned there you will need a mechanics certificate.

Seems you already know the answer, stick to the 43 appendix a para c list, if it isn't SPECIFICLY mentioned there you will need a mechanics certificate.
...or the direct supervision and written approval (signed logbook entry) of someone with a mechanic's certificate.

Does it matter whether the bottle is built-in or portable?

It seems to me that the built-in ones would require an STC, and I can see requiring an A&P to service those.

But the portable ones like this:
http://preciseflight.com/general-av...ete-2-person-flow-meter-oxygen-system-15cuft/
They seem like a portable GPS - no STC. So could you then just service the bottle anyway you like?

BTW, the manufacturer mentioned above doesn't say anything regarding what can be serviced by the pilot.

Does it matter whether the bottle is built-in or portable?

It seems to me that the built-in ones would require an STC, and I can see requiring an A&P to service those.

But the portable ones like this:
http://preciseflight.com/general-av...ete-2-person-flow-meter-oxygen-system-15cuft/
They seem like a portable GPS - no STC. So could you then just service the bottle anyway you like?

BTW, the manufacturer mentioned above doesn't say anything regarding what can be serviced by the pilot.

Yes, if the bottle is portable, removing it and filling it and putting it back, is know as servicing the aircraft and any one can do that. When it is hard mounted and serviced thru a port made for that purpose, removing it requires a return to service by an authorized person.

Back