What kind of wood is this?

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
IMG_20150927_202643.jpgIMG_20150927_202624.jpgIMG_20150927_202544.jpg

Specs: found in the neighborhood in South FL on the ground. It has a loose fitting bark that is stripped away in this pic. It's also been sanded. The wood itself is light weight. No real odor that I can discern. You can see the real interesting pattern in the wood that's revealed after removing the bark and sanding.

This is one of four walking sticks I made for the family a year ago for our trip to the mountains. Unfortunately we don't remember the spot in the neighborhood we picked it up.

Since you posted before noon it is morning wood.
:D

It is obviously tree wood. :)

The black pattern markings are called spalting (caused by a fungus) and can be found in just about any type of wood.

It is obviously tree wood. :)

The black pattern markings are called spalting (caused by a fungus) and can be found in just about any type of wood.
Hah, neat. I love the pattern. I haven't seen it on other woods in the area so the fungus must attack this specific tree around here.

Thanks. :)

Kind of looks like Sumac. Do they have that down there?

Kind of looks like Sumac. Do they have that down there?

I'm not sure. I may take a little trek around and see if I can identify the tree. I did a little reading on the fungus mentioned above and it looks like it mostly attacks the dead/dying wood, so if that's correct I bet the wood on the tree doesn't have this cool pattern.

Yep, that's spalting. The wood is beginning to decay, and the appearance is pretty cool. To stop it, you've got to dry the wood or it will rot away. Store it off the ground, say in the rafters of your garage. Now that summer is over, it may take a while.

As you would expect, because the wood is beginning to rot, it is both lighter weight and weaker than before, and also in comparison to dry, non-spalted wood. Be careful cutting or sanding it, you don't want to inhale the dust . . .

Yep, that's spalting. The wood is beginning to decay, and the appearance is pretty cool. To stop it, you've got to dry the wood or it will rot away. Store it off the ground, say in the rafters of your garage. Now that summer is over, it may take a while.

As you would expect, because the wood is beginning to rot, it is both lighter weight and weaker than before, and also in comparison to dry, non-spalted wood. Be careful cutting or sanding it, you don't want to inhale the dust . . .

You're right, the wood seemed unusually light and has a tendency to sort of crumble on the ends. I already sanded it down last year so hopefully I don't die of spalt-lung. :D

≈Given the location and presuming the bark was peeling from a healthy tree, it may be cypress. There's a pretty good book, you may find it at the local library, called Identifying Wood by Bruce Hoadley. The cover has become a sort of an internet meme with an additional comment..

Identifying_3c7cec_359550.gif

You're right, the wood seemed unusually light and has a tendency to sort of crumble on the ends. I already sanded it down last year so hopefully I don't die of spalt-lung. :D

You'd better report this to your AME! LOL

David

Back