What kind of TFR is this at Grand Forks?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I've never seen one that looks like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 100
It's at Grand Forks AFB, for "Special Security reasons", and says:
"EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW AND/OR UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC:
ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE TFR MUST BE ON A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY.
AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR.
ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE TFR MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.
MINNEAPOLIS CENTER, PHONE 651-463-5580, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY."

I'm betting it's a path to and from Class A for UAV ops.

Huh, is there a fire going on being worked out of Grand Forks?

Without reading the text my assumption is the TFR is for drone ops. They do something similar around Corpus Christi.

They fly drones out of there. It is the protected approach corridor for their drone ops.

They just want you to talk to them. Noise abatement.

Heh. Keep the sound of drones crashing into spam cans down to a dull roar? ;)

Yup.

You notice it 'docks' to the Devils Lake East MOA. Having the ability to talk to everyone in that corridor allows them to maintain separation. Now, once they are in the MOA, they can again encounter traffic that doesn't talk or squawk, but folks who zip around in a MOA in that manner are in a way on their own.

image.jpeg image.jpeg They fly Global Hawks and Predators out of The Air Force base in Grand Forks. The predators are flown by the border patrol and mostly stick to the US/Canadian border or in the pattern at the base. However, the much larger Global Hawks feed out of Grand Forks to points around the world and back. I had the opportunity to see them both in person last fall and it was quite interesting. I've flown through those MOA's and under the tfr many times and don't think twice...they've been in the NAS for years without issue.

The Predators wander much further than that, but I can't say anything else about it. Let's just say it's a good thing they don't have to stop to pee.

Back