What Kind of Plane

Anderson-Greenwood AG-14, built around 1950. There are only two or three of them around. Barry Schiff devotes a chapter to it in his new book, Dream Aircraft.

Attachments

• ag-14.jpg
    ag-14.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
It's an interesting airplane. Cessna obtained one in the late '60s to study the rear-engine, twin-boom concept as a possible C-150 replacement. They were motivated by data derived during the development of the Skymaster which showed that the rear-mounted pusher engine was more efficient than the one on the front. They reasoned that they might squeeze better performance out of a small trainer-size engine if it were in a pusher configuration.

Cessna built a proof-of-concept airplane, the "XMC" (Experimental Magic Carpet), that looked a lot like the AG-14. But they found that the inherent disadvantages of the twin-boom configuration, including engine cooling, crashworthiness, soundproofing and control system friction, made further development unfeasible.

Attachments

• cessna_1014.jpg
    cessna_1014.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Which didn't dissuade them from selling the 336/337 Skymaster. ;)

o2-p38-ad.jpg

Cessna built a proof-of-concept airplane, the "XMC" (Experimental Magic Carpet), that looked a lot like the AG-14. But they found that the inherent disadvantages of the twin-boom configuration, including engine cooling, crashworthiness, soundproofing and control system friction, made further development unfeasible.

Last edited:
I remember seeing that plane. It was very unique. I talked with the pilot and seem to remember something strange about the pedal configuration. Does it have a separate brake pedal? I remember him saying that they were essentially trying to make a flying car.

Here is a video of his arrival that morning.

(Also attaching a neat pic of him on short final)

Attachments

• CIMG2010.JPG
    CIMG2010.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 34
Which didn't dissuade them from selling the 336/337 Skymaster. ;)
Very true, but the anticipated advantage of centerline thrust in a multi-engine airplane made the extensive R&D for the C-336/337 worthwhile. It just didn't pan out when scaled down to an entry-level single.

Cessna also flew a prototype, scaled down centerline-thrust twin called the C-327. It had O-320's and was intended to compete with the Piper Twin Comanche. It looked just like a pre-shrunk C-337 but without the wing struts.

I actually really like the A500. I hope it doesn't just fade away.

I talked with the pilot and seem to remember something strange about the pedal configuration. Does it have a separate brake pedal?
According to Schiff's book there are four pedals on the floor: the two standard rudder pedals, one brake pedal (no differential braking) and a floor-mounted engine starter button. Nosewheel steering is accomplished via the control wheel, which would seem awkward for crosswind operations.

Marvin Greenwood, one of the AG-14's creators, had been on the design team of the Boeing B-29. In the late 1970s he went on to design what was known as the Bellanca T-250 Aries.

Back