What Kind of Flying

jcosse

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Cosse
. . . do you do? Hi, new here from Kansas. I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer by searching.

I usually try to fly weekly, or at least every other week, probably four to six hours per month. Sometimes I practice in the pattern, sometimes practice stalls, turns, chandelles, etc. Other times I just like to fly from here to there and enjoy being "up there." However, I find myself sometimes feeling somewhat guilty when I'm just flying around and not working on safety or maneuvers of some sort, and it's starting to bug me.

What I'd like to know is what do the rest of you do when not on a x-c flight, i.e. just flying around your home base?

BTW, I have a Commercial license with instrument rating, but it's not current. It seems a lot of my past flying has been under some type of training or on a trip somewhere. Not really used to leisure flying, or whatever it's called, but I find myself wanting to do more of that than continually working on something. So, what do the rest of you do?

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

Right now I am just in transition. I don't fly under pressure any more and I like it. I'm learning to fly a 172/180 horse I recently bought. I have a share in another plane and a partnership in two Comanches just sold out. I am just enjoying flying for fun and getting to know the new ride. If I can talk my wife into some time off this summer we will tour the west. This coming weekend we're going up to Puget Sound for a get together with friends.

. . . do you do? Hi, new here from Kansas. I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer by searching.

I usually try to fly weekly, or at least every other week, probably four to six hours per month. Sometimes I practice in the pattern, sometimes practice stalls, turns, chandelles, etc. Other times I just like to fly from here to there and enjoy being "up there." However, I find myself sometimes feeling somewhat guilty when I'm just flying around and not working on safety or maneuvers of some sort, and it's starting to bug me.

What I'd like to know is what do the rest of you do when not on a x-c flight, i.e. just flying around your home base?

BTW, I have a Commercial license with instrument rating, but it's not current. It seems a lot of my past flying has been under some type of training or on a trip somewhere. Not really used to leisure flying, or whatever it's called, but I find myself wanting to do more of that than continually working on something. So, what do the rest of you do?

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim
Things I've done lately in an airplane when not traveling:

Flew to a maint base for an annual (and back).

Took my daughter on several "instruction" flights (not a CFI but quite comfortable teaching her the basics).

Flew myself and a few friends to another Mpls reliever for a FAA seminar.

Practiced a few landings in the taildragger.

Checked out the AoA indicator after replacing the gauge.

Practiced formation flying.

Sometimes I fly around in the taildragger looking at roads to see if I can find a shorter route to drive.

I'm either hugging the pattern, doing IFR practice or on multi-day cross countries, not really a $100 hamburger type.

I like to fly places where there is some place to hike or explore. I will occasionally do the $100 hamburger run with friends, too.

All different types:

-Giving Instruction on the side (mostly flight reviews/insurance checkouts with the occasional Intro to Spins flights with my partners in the 150 who are interested)
-Flying a Photo Mission here and there
-Taking friends up
-Going on short X-Cs to grab lunch or just explore a new airport (I haven't done a whole lot of X-C flying since I got my Commercial (though I did a whole lot when I was working towards my IR and Comm. I put 210 hours on my PPL prior to getting my IR and logged about 100 XC)-hope to change that soon)
-Mostly just trying to stay profiecient while I work on getting an instructing/flying job (except for the fact that I let my IFR currency lapse....That's what happens when the most affordable plane you have access to is a VFR only C150 and you live in the Southwest).

Mostly travel, there is always somewhere new to explore. This year it seems the plane is beach transportation on the weekends. We also want to try and get a few more dog rescue flights completed.

Jim:

Welcome to PoA!

You give me pause to reflect on my flying, and I do not like what I see, because it has become nearly all goal-oriented; mostly going places, and very little relaxing and enjoyable flying. My most recent flight had me ferrying the plane to a field around 60nm away for a new windshield install; others included flying to south Texas to check up on a piece of property, flying to west Texas to visit a friend (thanks, again!) and flying to Austin to present a short speech.

I resolve to do more "just for fun" flying, and further, to make sure I invite others along for the ride.

And no, you should not "feel guilty" for enjoying it!

in airplanes i'm usually either towing gliders or travelling. sometimes doing currency flights to support that travelling. I get my enjoyment and "fun" flying out of soaring.

Where in Kansas are you?

Jim,

Sounds like you are about ready to take another step in you flying career. Probably should start working on a CFI rating or looking at Soaring.

Many pilots find they really enjoy the training enviroment more than they actually like just flying. Plus it starts to become hard to justify spending $100-$200 a week just to fly around without a goal in sight.

Getting a CFI addresses both of these issues as does Soaring. This issue with Soaring is you might be limited on when you can fly so picking the best days becomes part of the challenge and even then each flight has a simple goal of at least just trying to stay in the air. Soaring also tends to be a more social than most other forms of flying as you will often be flying with other gliders. Once you release from tow the hourly cost of the glider becomes quite low. You also might find Towing for a glider club/operation to be satisfying.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Putz around.

With the new job (and no vacation) and building a garage, and... About the only time I am able to get up in the airplane is at about 0600 on weekdays before work. The pattern is pretty quiet at sunrise...

When I get up, it is usually just to poke some holes in the sky or work on crosswind landings. I'm starting to work on holding course and altitude more as I want to get my inst. ticket in the next 12 months. I've been thinking hard about working up to CFI now, something that never really crossed my mind until recently.

Fly to go places. Might be to get something to eat, might be to stay the night.

When I get up, it is usually just to poke some holes in the sky or work on crosswind landings. I'm starting to work on holding course and altitude more as I want to get my inst. ticket in the next 12 months. I've been thinking hard about working up to CFI now, something that never really crossed my mind until recently.
Getting the CFI is a great way to earn a few bucks on the side (I'm going to assume you're not looking to fly full time) so you don't have to pay for all of your flying.

Therapy.

On an hourly basis, about the price as a good shrink. But I don't need to report it to the FAA. I moved to Colorado to ski, but quit when I started flying. No more stuck in traffic on I70, no more $100 lift tickets, no more getting run over by idiots screaming down the slopes completely out of control, etc.

I recently got my instrument rating, so on days with good low ceilings i'll go out and buzz around shooting approaches at different airports.

Also starting on my TW endorsement next week, though I have 3 hours or so of unofficial instruction in a cub, which i'll get to fly after i get my endorsement.

And I do fly to go places. I go visit my brother in nashville (370nm each way) about once a month, and maybe one or two weekends a month has me flying between 1-2hrs each way to go to the beach or mountains to visit friends.

I enjoy cross country flying with some weather because it presents challenges that never seem to get old. I've also had a lot of fun learning how to wrangle a taildragger. (hopefully after more practice it won't seem like wrangling)

Last edited:
Typically if I go up just to turn fuel into noise, it's because I need to do a maintenance flight. Pretty much all of my flying is work-oriented: need to get somewhere, need to get back, prep for a 135 checkride, then the 135 checkride.

I can't remember the last time I did a "just for fun" flight. Hmm...

I'll ask, too - what part of KS?

I'm VFR, a renter, none of my trips are overnight. It's all just fun flying - hop in the plane, go somewhere I haven't been to in a while, or ever. Get something to eat, take a buddy out on a photo flight, or just tool around and work on maneuvers and stalls. One or twice a year I might take a CFI along to brush up on an area where I think I'm rusty.

Camping. Woohoo!!! Load up 3 kids, a wife, 2 dogs and 150lbs of camping gear and head into the hills. Around here most airports will allow you to camp on the field.

Buzzing the exwifes house. Kidding, I kid. Soaring is where it is at, everything else is lame.

Hi Kansas. ;)

The fun kind. ;)

If you like goals, set some.

If you like ratings, get some.

If you like tooling around the pattern. Tool away.

If you want a job doing it, chase that stuff.

If you just like looking at sunsets from 3000' AGL, crank up at sundown.

Soaring? Tailwheel? Hot Air Balloons? Sure. Whatever turns your crank.

If you like going a couple States away from home to train with a CFII a number of other folks say is pretty good, and you like getting away from work for a week or two to do it... Oh, that's me. ;)

It's simpler than we try to describe it. My dad has a couple of phrases that work well:

"If you're not having fun, why are you doing it?"

And ...

"How's the dollar to fun ratio on that one?"

:) :) :)

p.s.

- Going to Kansas and meeting up for dinner with Tony and Leah is a good dollar to fun ratio, by the way. Have done that one once and would do it again.

- Going to Nebraska and training with Jesse is a blast.

- Meeting Mike from Texas for dinner with a bunch of PoA folks is good.

- Flying to Scottsbluff with PoA folks and trying to explain to the controller that all those targets around you are people you had lunch with which is why you're all headed the same direction at different altitudes and speeds, is hilarious.

- Having a BBQ at Clark's hangar with twenty desserts ain't bad either.

- I'd give a PIREP on landing at OSH but my airplane is allergic to Wisconsin or something. Every time we point it that direction, something goes awry. Attempt #3 will be this year. ;)

- Gaston's is coming up soon...

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

A lot of my flying is just bussing around the airport. I don't feel quilty about it either. When I was just old enough to ride a bicycle I wanted to fly. I have adjusted and rearanged my life to allow me to fly. When I'm flying I'm in my own personal world with no interuptions from normal life stuff. It's therapy for me.

About every other weekend the wife and I do the $100 hamburger thing to differant airports. I also take non flyers up and to my amazement some of them went on to become pilots.

Cross country flying is another great thing to do. I have landed in all 50 of the states (Hawaii in a rental, Alaska in mine, My avatar is from the Yukon near White Horse). These cross country trips have left me with some great memories. Alaska spoiled me for anymore trips in the lower 48. The lower 48 states to me are just boring.

BTW, try flying on the 4th of july at night and watch the fireworks from 2000agl, you will never forget it.

Happy flying!:D

Last edited:
Great feedback, everyone, thanks much!

What I didn't share is that I'm nearing retirement and currently building an RV. Wife and I bought a C150 to putz around in and stay current while building. I've thought about getting a CFI like some of you suggested, but the 150 we own has a STOL kit which makes it a little non-standard for training -- can't do intentional spins even though the plane has the rudder stop fix that would allow it, and the dang thing just doesn't like to stall unless you REALLY push it. It also floats on landing unless you keep the speed down, so flaring is a little different than other 150's. I'm just not sure how a student would do learning in this machine.

Back when I was getting my Comm and IFR I almost continued with a multi rating, and already have 50+ hours in a twin Baron, but I figured I'd never use it since aviation wasn't how I made my living (mechanical engineer). Not getting the multi was one of the better decisions I made since I'd never be able to keep up the currency and really had no reason to. So, training and earning ratings just for the sake of doing it may not always be the best idea, although it will provide great training. Once I near completion of the RV I'll probably renew my instrument currency since we plan to do more traveling then. In the meantime, as many of you suggest, I'll do some practice but spend more time just enjoying the ability to fly here and there and not feel bad about doing it. I'm 61 and we never know how long our medicals will allow us to fly, so might as well enjoy it while I can.

And, for those who asked, I'm in Lenexa, KS which is a suburb of Kansas City. Plane is based at New Century (IXD). The RV (as I build it) is located in my garage!

Thanks again to everyone for your great insight to this wonderful hobby.

Great feedback, everyone, thanks much!

What I didn't share is that I'm nearing retirement and currently building an RV. Wife and I bought a C150 to putz around in and stay current while building. I've thought about getting a CFI like some of you suggested, but the 150 we own has a STOL kit which makes it a little non-standard for training -- can't do intentional spins even though the plane has the rudder stop fix that would allow it, and the dang thing just doesn't like to stall unless you REALLY push it. It also floats on landing unless you keep the speed down, so flaring is a little different than other 150's. I'm just not sure how a student would do learning in this machine.

Back when I was getting my Comm and IFR I almost continued with a multi rating, and already have 50+ hours in a twin Baron, but I figured I'd never use it since aviation wasn't how I made my living (mechanical engineer). Not getting the multi was one of the better decisions I made since I'd never be able to keep up the currency and really had no reason to. So, training and earning ratings just for the sake of doing it may not always be the best idea, although it will provide great training. Once I near completion of the RV I'll probably renew my instrument currency since we plan to do more traveling then. In the meantime, as many of you suggest, I'll do some practice but spend more time just enjoying the ability to fly here and there and not feel bad about doing it. I'm 61 and we never know how long our medicals will allow us to fly, so might as well enjoy it while I can.

And, for those who asked, I'm in Lenexa, KS which is a suburb of Kansas City. Plane is based at New Century (IXD). The RV (as I build it) is located in my garage!

Thanks again to everyone for your great insight to this wonderful hobby.

Welcome aboard, Jim.

There are a number of us folk nearby. We'll try to keep you posted the next time we meet for lunch (which may be sooner than you think).

I fly to learn how to fly. ;)

Once I get my license, I plan to travel with my wife. Get to places that would take 4+ hours to get to and make a day trip rather than an overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fly some place, eat dinner, drink some beer, get some sleep, fly home.

I fly to learn how to fly. ;)

Once I get my license, I plan to travel with my wife. Get to places that would take 4+ hours to get to and make a day trip rather than an overnight.

And then have it turn into an overnight when the weather goes to pot. :) ;)

I belong to a lot of groups (both in person and online) related to aviation. Often, people contact me when they will be in town and I take them up for a local flight.

Those flights are mostly coastal, or Bay Tour (Golden Gate Bridge for out of towners). I even take people up on my lessons and my night currency (just pattern work).

These scenic flights involve lots of photos and videos and often lunch or dinner. We usually hang out at the airport before and after, and look at planes etc.

EDIT: All this is done in the 2-seater 150 or the 4-seater 172. I'm a Private Pilot, renter, very few hours. Just got my cert.

Back