What kind of fabric?

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
I have a new to me Challenger II LSA and it has a small tear in the fabric on the side of the fuselage. I have no idea what kind of fabric/covering so I don't know how to fix it properly. Is there any way to tell what covering system was used just by looking at it?

Use the same weight fabric as was used on the airplane when it was built, I can tell you that much. Take a picture of it and text it to Univair. With my Husky I called the factory and they told me what paint they used on that serial number.

Last edited:
What you really want to know before you get to buying stuff is whether the paint lifts with MEK or not. If yes? Dope or Polytone. If no? Polyurethane. Neither is difficult to patch but you'll go about them differently. If it's dope or stits, get the instructions from Polyfiber. If it's polyurethane, look at Stewart's System. Their patches can go on anyone's fabric and topcoats. Beware, spot painting over polyurethane is going to show.

TCSH-03986_l-400x320.jpg

The Challenge uses unpainted dacron sailcloth, doesn't it? On sailcloth covered ultralights, I've repaired tears by baseball stitching, followed by ripstop repair tape.

Back