What kind of bike do you ride?

I sold it to move north, but this is me on my beloved Royal Enfield (leaving my bridal shower in style!)...

upload_2016-6-6_12-34-27.png

Toys toys toys

Attachments

• Bo_BMW.JPG
    Bo_BMW.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 25
  • Eagle_BMW.JPG
    Eagle_BMW.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 22
Ducati 1098. Its like having a gorgeous neurotic Italian nymphomaniac mistress that overspends her credit card. But, I keep her, cause she lets me rider her.....

That made me LOL a little. I know exactly how you feel.

Looks great, so your husband is good with you riding but not flying?????? o_O

Makes no sense at all, does it? I did get him up in the plane with my instructor and I last week, though. On the way back from breakfast, I threw him in the front seat for his first (surprise) lesson. He enjoyed it, but has no interest in doing it again.

I miss my bike, but, honestly, I feel way safer in my plane.

I currently ride a Kawasaki Concours C14. It replaced my BMW 1200RT. Other than those two bikes, I've mostly pushed sportbikes around. My last sportbike was a GSXR 750.

I really liked the RT. It felt light and nimble in comparison to the C14. The Connie is fun, but it can be a chore to ride sometimes.

I currently ride a Kawasaki Concours C14. It replaced my BMW 1200RT. Other than those two bikes, I've mostly pushed sportbikes around. My last sportbike was a GSXR 750.

I really liked the RT. It felt light and nimble in comparison to the C14. The Connie is fun, but it can be a chore to ride sometimes.

I had an R1150RT oilhead that I really liked, put 90kmi on it. At the time I bought it, it was far more nimble than the other sport tourers on the market. (original Concours, ST1100, BMW K-brick, etc.) My synopsis of the C14 after a good long test ride: Nuclear powered, but a bit on the heavy/ponderous side.

I too come from a long line of sportbikes, the last one being a BMW S1000RR, it was an incredible machine. Light, great handling, and 197hp fast.

You guys are making me regret selling my honda 599. On the upside window shopping for its future replacement will be fun. Something that can handle 2 up with a little bit of zoom zoom to it.

396954e72b3496fba06813943fb8ee33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's weird Vf6cruiser...I have a 2012 Super Tenere & a 2008 FJR 1300. We must be brothers from a different mother. I also bought a new 2005 FJR in the fall of 2004 & missed it so much I bought the 2008 FJR. I love the color of the 05 FJR.

Very cool indeed.......I'm out here in the land of lane sharing in SoCal so I ride all year.........I'm thinking of perhaps selling my 05 FJR and waiting to snag a pristine 08-09 AE no clutch model.......I like the idea of that Ferrari shifter.........at least in theory

Very cool indeed.......I'm out here in the land of lane sharing in SoCal so I ride all year.........I'm thinking of perhaps selling my 05 FJR and waiting to snag a pristine 08-09 AE no clutch model.......I like the idea of that Ferrari shifter.........at least in theory

That's what I bought. When I saw the bike in the dealer showroom in the used section I was excited because it was like new. The I saw that it was an AE model & I said "no way". I was there getting new tires on my S-10 & the salesman challenged me to take it for a spin. I loved it.

When I got home that evening I just kept talking to my wife about it. She asked why I didn't buy it & I replied that I didn't need two motorcycles. A few weeks later, on a whim, I called the dealer up & made them a low-ball offer & they took it. It was a Saturday & my wife was at the winery so I called her & told her I was headed out in the pickup to get the bike. When she got home later that night she told me if I hadn't called the dealership she was going to call them on Tuesday & just buy it.

I've had it a year & a half now & still rave about it. The AE is so easy & fast to shift. I don't understand why the concept wasn't better accepted.

Funny note. I was riding it one day & a guy walked up & said "your bike is missing a clutch". I respond with "yea, but I got a really good deal on it".

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

[QUTE="saddletramp, post: 2081139, member: 26702"]That's what I bought. When I saw the bike in the dealer showroom in the used section I was excited because it was like new. The I saw that it was an AE model & I said "no way". I was there getting new tires on my S-10 & the salesman challenged me to take it for a spin. I loved it.

When I got home that evening I just kept talking to my wife about it. She asked why I didn't buy it & I replied that I didn't need two motorcycles. A few weeks later, on a whim, I called the dealer up & made them a low-ball offer & they took it. It was a Saturday & my wife was at the winery so I called her & told her I was headed out in the pickup to get the bike. When she got home later that night she told me if I hadn't called the dealership she was going to call them on Tuesday & just buy it.

I've had it a year & a half now & still rave about it. The AE is so easy & fast to shift. I don't understand why the concept wasn't better accepted.

Funny note. I was riding it one day & a guy walked up & said "your bike is missing a clutch". I respond with "yea, but I got a really good deal on it".

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]
Ok now you're really freaking me out.........lol..........glad to hear you love the ae ......the 09's seem to have disappeared

SV650S, DL1000, VS1400 (all Suzukis).
I also have a bike with pedals, but I don't even know what brand it is.

My last bike was an SV650. I miss that thing, it was so easy to throw around.

Did you see they are re-releasing the SV?

09 Triumph Bonneville modified
78 Suzuki GS750e (restored)
82 Harley Ironhead in a hardtail frame (long term project)
08 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Selling the Bonneville and the Suzuki though...time to clear out the garage and focus on flying.

My first bike I ever bought myself (had plenty of dirt bikes when I was a kid and my first street bike was an hand me down) was a '79 GS750. I paid $200 for it and it mostly came in milk crates

I spent 2 years rebuilding it.

Last edited:
I've been tossing around the idea of either getting a truck/SUV or a bike for my next vehicle. Never rode a bike before, but I'm liking what I see going through these posts. Anyone have any suggestions for a first-timer bike?

So
I've been tossing around the idea of either getting a truck/SUV or a bike for my next vehicle. Never rode a bike before, but I'm liking what I see going through these posts. Anyone have any suggestions for a first-timer bike?

Something like that SV650 would not be a bad choice.

Maybe a used one - as a beginner, you'll likely drop it at least a couple of times, and it hurts less with a used bike.

My last bike was an SV650. I miss that thing, it was so easy to throw around.

Did you see they are re-releasing the SV?

Yes, and I'm contemplating getting another. I had a '99 original round tube in red, it was a great bike. I RaceTech'd the forks, Fox twin clicker rear shock, Yoshi RS-3 slip on, Factory Stage 2 jet kit, and Galfer brake lines and pads. It was set up for sport touring as well with a Givi rack and a small Givi windshield. It is the only bike I've ever regretted selling.

SV2-X2.jpg

My BIKES: early '80s Bob Jackson Super Tourist
2000 or so Bruce Gordon tourer

My MOTORCYCLES: '61 BMW R60/2 sidecar rig, upped to R69/2 spec
'83 BMW R100CS
'84 BMW R100RS
'92 BMW R100GS
Moto Guzzi V650 Lario
Moto Guzzi LeMans IV
Moto Guzzi V50 III cafe'd
(Can never keep the years of the Guzzis straight and too lazy to go look at registrations)
Need to get out and ride more - both Bike and Motorcycle.

So

Something like that SV650 would not be a bad choice.

Maybe a used one - as a beginner, you'll likely drop it at least a couple of times, and it hurts less with a used bike.

Looks nice, thanks! My father has a Harley that he hasn't ridden in YEARS. Thing is just rotting in the garage. But it's a cruiser I believe, pretty expensive and definitely NOT what I would choose to start on.

Only thing that makes me wonder about bikes is rain. Living in FL we get a LOT of it here. Prolly would have to get a cover for it or something, as I wouldn't want rain messing with the leather and stuff...or is that a big deal?

My BIKES: early '80s Bob Jackson Super Tourist
2000 or so Bruce Gordon tourer

My MOTORCYCLES: '61 BMW R60/2 sidecar rig, upped to R69/2 spec
'83 BMW R100CS
'84 BMW R100RS
'92 BMW R100GS
Moto Guzzi V650 Lario
Moto Guzzi LeMans IV
Moto Guzzi V50 III cafe'd
(Can never keep the years of the Guzzis straight and too lazy to go look at registrations)
Need to get out and ride more - both Bike and Motorcycle.

Own all now or a list of past bikes? Nice list either way. I see a trend.

Well the conventional wisdom is to buy a used bike under 500cc to learn on and mess up for your first motorcycle. I gave that serious consideration - so much so that I essentially talked myself out of buying anything and missed a season of riding. Then I just went to the dealer and got the bike I wanted, which although has a 900cc engine, is low-revving and a modest 55HP. As a new rider I am happy to have ABS and traction control which could be hard to find on a used beater.

Take the local MSF basic riding course and get your MC license endorsement while you ponder the larger question. You'll likely know better by the end of the 2-day course whether you really want a motorcycle.

Then you have to decide what style is for you: cruiser, sportbike, standard/naked, adventure/scrambler.

Finally - depending where you live, maybe you really want a dirt-bike in which case you'll have to by that truck to haul it with :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never rode a bike before, but I'm liking what I see going through these posts. Anyone have any suggestions for a first-timer bike?

Don't. Roads have become far too dangerous. Everyone is staring at their frakking screens all the time now, its really bad. You don't notice as much in a cage, but boy do you ever on a bike. I won't give up my sport bike because I have to be able to get out of the way. I just can't recommend bikes with a clear conscience anymore.

Well the conventional wisdom is to buy a used bike under 500cc to learn on and mess up for your first motorcycle. I gave that serious consideration - so much so that I essentially talked myself out of buying anything and missed a season of riding. Then I just went to the dealer and got the bike I wanted, which although has a 900cc engine, is low-revving and a modest 55HP. As a new rider I am happy to have ABS and traction control which could be hard to find on a used beater.

Take the local MSF basic riding course and get your MC license endorsement while you ponder the larger question. You'll likely know better by the end of the 2-day course whether you really want a motorcycle.

Then you have to decide what style is for you: cruiser, sportbike, standard/naked, adventure/scrambler.

Finally - depending where you live, maybe you really want a dirt-bike in which case you'll have to by that truck to haul it with :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I see there are a bunch of those courses near me and on the weekend too, which is great. I may do that just to get a feel for it. Hell, the course is about the same cost as an hour of 172 rental so..definitely worth a shot. When I was in high school I almost bought a Ninja from a buddy as my first bike. But, before we could do the deal he totalled it by crashing into a car that stopped short in front of him.

Turned me off to bikes for a long time. But now, I dunno...been seeing a lot more on the roads these days and seems like it would be a nice change of scenery. Especially for the daily commute to/from work.

Don't. Roads have become far too dangerous. Everyone is staring at their frakking screens all the time now, its really bad. You don't notice as much in a cage, but boy do you ever on a bike. I won't give up my sport bike because I have to be able to get out of the way. I just can't recommend bikes with a clear conscience anymore.

I do agree..it's pretty bad. I was sitting at a light the other day and the guy on my left was really engrossed on his phone. Light turned green for the left turn lane and despite everyone behind him honking the horn he just sat there...through the whole light, playing on his phone..blissfully unaware.

My wife would outright forbid me from buying a bike if I asked her (and I have). For the reason you mentioned and others. But hey, I figure it's better to ask for forgiveness then permission, no? :)

Another vote for the SV650, get the standard upright version, not the S. Plenty of these can be found used for $2500-3500, and they are an excellent beginner bike. Light, easy to push, move around, and ride. Great brakes, clutch, and the V-twin engine is docile at low revs yet provides decent punch up top. This is a bike one can buy, learn to ride, and it will keep you entertained for years to come. I loved mine and I already had 15 years and over 300kmi of two wheel time.

Another vote for the SV650, get the standard upright version, not the S. Plenty of these can be found used for $2500-3500, and they are an excellent beginner bike. Light, easy to push, move around, and ride. Great brakes, clutch, and the V-twin engine is docile at low revs yet provides decent punch up top. This is a bike one can buy, learn to ride, and it will keep you entertained for years to come. I loved mine and I already had 15 years and over 300kmi of two wheel time.

Thanks Bill! I'll have to check those out..New they go for $7,500 but I'll heed the advice of the initiated and look for a used one. I don't want to do something stupid and end up pranging the bike to hell.

Thanks Bill! I'll have to check those out..New they go for $7,500 but I'll heed the advice of the initiated and look for a used one. I don't want to do something stupid and end up pranging the bike to hell.

Yup, buy a used one, ride it for a year, and sell it for what you paid. THEN go buy that shiny new bike of your dreams.

A couple of other good used beginner bikes are the Kawasaki EX/Ninja 500 and the Suzuki GS500. Or, if dirt oriented bikes strike your fancy, the Suzuki DR 400 series of dualsports.

Many years ago a buddy of mine wrote an outstanding used bike buyers guide:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Lastly, before you even go looking for a bike take the MSF BRC: http://www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx

The skills taught in the BRC will be enough to get you out on the streets and start filling your bucket of experience before the bucket of luck runs out. IOW, a license to learn.

Own all now or a list of past bikes? Nice list either way. I see a trend.
Currently in garage - yeah, like the vintage Euro motorbikes - simple but just modern enough to have discs (except the /2 of course).

Back