• Democrat - Left

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Democrat - Moderate

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Libertarian

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please don't vote for this, post a reply instead)

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Republican - Left

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Democrat - Right

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Disenchanted cynic.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Independent

Votes: 9 9.2%

• Total voters

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Just curiosity on my part. Let me know if I miss an option - don't vote if I do, I'll add it for you. (Super elite admin powers, activate) ;)

I debated adding "Republican - Left" and "Democrat - Right" but - I'll only do that if someone asks me too.

And if you don't want to disclose publicly, PM me.

Greebo said:
I debated adding "Republican - Left" and "Democrat - Right" but - I'll only do that if someone asks me too.

And if you don't want to disclose publicly, PM me.

You should add those, IMHO, since it seems to me a sizeable number of people that I know fall into one of those two categories.

I would have said Republican Moderate, but Im thinking that I'm more of a libertarian...

Other -- cynic. The political process has become so bastardized by lobbyists that it just doesn't matter any more.

Hmm. Ok, adding "Disenchanted cynic".

Greg Bockelman said:
So how do we rectify that?

Ban lobbyists?

No more AOPA
No more NRA
No more NOW
No more PACs of any kind?

How do we get our voice heard then?

Joe Williams said:
Ban lobbyists?

No more AOPA
No more NRA
No more NOW
No more PACs of any kind?

How do we get our voice heard then?

Get off our own bums and start sending letters. Lobbyists tend to grease the hands of Congress, which leads to Congressmen who are more concerned with money than they are with their constituents. Personally, I say kill the money trail. You're elected, you've got a salary, you're a servant of the people you represent. No more of the "Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

What if it's "none of the above"? I don't identify with either party.. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle of both but it really depends on the issue.. There isn't an "Independant" vote either in the poll.

Adding independent. Big oops on my part - I THOUGHT of it when making the poll...

ummmm...

Republican, mostly right... As if there were any doubts about that. :D

perhaps someone can dig up the link to that graph site where you answer a bunch of questions, and it plots where you are politically compared to others.

Mine surprised quite a few people last time I did it.

But I don't have it saved. Someone here probably has it.

Regards,
Joe
aka Sonar5

PS - never mind my ggogle is on top of it.

Test is here:
http://politicalcompass.org/

I'll post a new thread with the link and my results.

I believe its on the Libertarian home page.

I've always suspected it of being somewhat libertarian biased.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Fiscally a republican, morally a democrat?
Dave, did you just make an oxymoron? LOL! ::Runs for the door!::

Last edited by a moderator:
How 'bout strict constitutionalist?

Many of the problems we have in today's society are because the govt has made it their business where they have no business--to wit, you can't legislate morality. But the govt has tried to do just that and the result has largely been the creation of a moral-less morass which is the exact unintended consequence.

I'll explain: law after law has been written to limit this or that behavior. But written rules begat process and every process has loopholes. Laws are written, loopholes are exposed, courts are involved, interpretations are made, precedents set, society suffers because individuals are disallowed by onerous regs to act in a way conducive to their own ethics. The courts have become grantors of entitlements much to the consternation of our once inalienable rights.

(Yeah, there is a hidden meaning in all that.)

Last edited:
I'm too young to have a political orientation.
Don't like too much what I hear from either side.
Seems like our leaders have really screwed up a lot of things lately.
I just hope things don't any worse, cause I'm going to have to deal with it.

Richard said:
The courts have become grantors of entitlements much to the consternation of our once inalienable rights.
Huh? Care to explain that?

infotango said:
I'm too young to have a political orientation.
Don't like too much what I hear from either side.
Seems like our leaders have really screwed up a lot of things lately.
I just hope things don't any worse, cause I'm going to have to deal with it.
Here's a scenario for you: you're at the trailhead ready to start a 10 day hike to the summit of yonder mountain. Between you and the mtn is a thick forest with lots of river valleys, ridgelines, switchbacks, and steep bluffs. You desire to arrive at the mtn summit at your ETA and in good shape.

When is the best time to whip out your Bruton compass and orient yourself to your trail? (Hint: it's before you enter the dark forest)

infotango said:
Huh? Care to explain that?
I will if need be. But first you have to ponder how your rights have been truncated, curtailed, limited, rendered, and/or squandered by aforementioned entitlements.

Richard said:
Here's a scenario for you: you're at the trailhead ready to start a 10 day hike to the summit of yonder mountain. Between you and the mtn is a thick forest with lots of river valleys, ridgelines, switchbacks, and steep bluffs. You desire to arrive at the mtn summit at your ETA and in good shape.

When is the best time to whip out your Bruton compass and orient yourself to your trail? (Hint: it's before you enter the dark forest)

hehehhe...

Don't know the answer to that one, but I use USGS maps bought from REI in Universal Transverse Mercator for my hikes and my trusty Garmin Legend GPS.

I don't need no stinkin compass... ;) Although I always carry one along with my hole in the mirror emergency shaving verification device. :D

Chuck, while I voted Republican - right, I would have preferred to vote "conservative" without any affiliation. I have no problem voting for a conservative democrat (yes they are out there) but would never vote for a liberal republican (they're out there also).

CAVU,
Kevin

Richard said:
How 'bout strict constitutionalist?

Many of the problems we have in today's society are because the govt has made it their business where they have no business--to wit, you can't legislate morality. But the govt has tried to do just that and the result has largely been the creation of a moral-less morass which is the exact unintended consequence.

I'll explain: law after law has been written to limit this or that behavior. But written rules begat process and every process has loopholes. Laws are written, loopholes are exposed, courts are involved, interpretations are made, precedents set, society suffers because individuals are disallowed by onerous regs to act in a way conducive to their own ethics. The courts have become grantors of entitlements much to the consternation of our once inalienable rights.

(Yeah, there is a hidden meaning in all that.)
Can't argue with that. Some folks love government... I think government is a bureauocracy which gets in our faces...

wbarnhill said:
Get off our own bums and start sending letters. Lobbyists tend to grease the hands of Congress, which leads to Congressmen who are more concerned with money than they are with their constituents. Personally, I say kill the money trail. You're elected, you've got a salary, you're a servant of the people you represent. No more of the "Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

Heck, maybe then my representatives would bother to reply to any of the emails, faxes or letters that are sent to them...:D

Richard said:

I see your point, but my problem is that I find both parties equally odious. Not sure where to turn. If one of the parties nominated a leader with a shred of integrity, they'd have my attention.

wow - I'm surprised to see that there are as many Right leaners as there are, since this place is often called the "Blue Board" and most people mean it as a double entendre.

Glad to see it too...right is right :D

I don't really wanna discuss politics with my pilot cohorts. Don't ask me again.

deafsound said:
I don't really wanna discuss politics with my pilot cohorts. Don't ask me again.

I agree. Politics on webboards just turns into a ****ing contest. I can make my view easy for you. I am wrong and you are right in what ever the topic is. :) B)

Brent Bradford said:
I agree. Politics on webboards just turns into a ****ing contest. I can make my view easy for you. I am wrong and you are right in what ever the topic is. :) B)
So high wings really are superior to low wings? :D

I'm a little confused with the Democratic - right and Republican - left choices. What the heck do those mean?!? :dunno:

As if there is a snowballs chance in H**l that anyone in todays political climate could be either.

Or am I misinterpreting them? Do you mean the right side of the Democratic Party (and vice versa)?

alaskaflyer said:
I'm a little confused with the Democratic - right and Republican - left choices. What the heck do those mean?!? :dunno:

As if there is a snowballs chance in H**l that anyone in todays political climate could be either.

Or am I misinterpreting them? Do you mean the right side of the Democratic Party (and vice versa)?

Two words for you...

Zell Miller.

And I'm sure you can find a Republican who is actually left leaning too.

Im somewhere between a moderate/left republican and a rightist democrat, i agree with most republican policies but not all. i would not vote based on party lines, but on a candidates political platform they campaigned

Deuce said:
Im somewhere between a moderate/left republican and a rightist democrat, i agree with most republican policies but not all. i would not vote based on party lines, but on a candidates political platform they campaigned

Technically, that is, IMHO, the only way to vote intelligently. Why anyone would choose the "All Party" button is beyond me.

I'd hate to have voted for some of the Republicans out here....so I didn't.

Fairly right republican fiscally and defense, fairly left socially. (live and let live, as long as your lifestyle doesn't harm my lifestyle, etc.)

alaskaflyer said:
Well, if you go to West Virginia, you'll find a majority Democratic state, but one that is very socially conservative. Democratic - Right. Think Regan Democrat.

Republican Left would be, oh I dunno, Kennedy Republicans?

So breaking up the choices thus far (66 votes) we've got:
Republican 44.62
Democrat 24.61

Right 24.61
Left 4.62
Moderate 40%

An interesting distribution, so far. Very unscientifically done, of course.

Back