What is your most valuable paid membership?

What is your most valued paid membership?

• A military veterans or retirees organization e.g. VFW, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Focused service organization, e.g. AAA, AARP

• A charitable organization, e.g. Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity

• A political lobby

• Total voters
Church.

Otherwise, this list gives me pause. I belong to a bunch of organizations and I’m not sure any of them does me much good. On the forums, I’m a big defender of AOPA, mostly because the people who gripe about them gripe about stupid things. I mean, of course they own a couple of airplanes and of course a major lobbying group pays its people well. I hate how cynical politics is, and I’m paying them to slop around in that mud on my behalf. I have no idea how effective they really are.

But the other memberships? Idk. The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons is worth belonging to because they’re the anti-AMA and the AMA is a bunch of woke commies.

Speaking of woke commies, I wouldn’t let AARP add my name at gunpoint.

During covid, I discovered Rucking. Haven’t been back to the gym since, though I miss the steam bath.

Personal fitness and health will be the most important for all of us, so gym, provided you use it.

Costco/Sam’s club, again if you use it.

Flying club, it helps support a club more local which helps get new pilots into flying.

AAA, you can save money here on hotels, usually one hotel booking an AAA rate (even at hotels like Marriott), you’ll save more money than your annual membership cost. Other than that, they spam the heck out of ya.

Now EAA, AOPA, NRA, etc… I’ve joined all, mainly as a requirement (for flying into Oshkosh, etc), but they spam the heck out of you. They don’t provide anything to me and I don’t like their strategy. I think they spent the membership money in mailing letters (asking for more money) that go straight to the trash bin. Your membership fee is not enough to help “insert end of world action here”, donate today to help protect “insert right implied you’ll lose”.

If you travel a lot, you come home to a mailbox full of spam, and anything important these days comes by email, so we can do without USPS soon, for delivering all of that junk. Then your box gets full and your holiday cards get returned to sender.

Back