What is your favorite GA airport you flew in an out of?

as a local floridian i still cant believe i haven't flown into SPG, i may have to take my plane over there sometime soon just to check it out

Sceneray wise I always enjoyed flying into either Cedar Key (CDK) or Merrit Island (COI).

But my true favorite to fly into is in Portland, Maine, while doing the Harbor Visual approach. My absolute favorite approach into any airport I've ever been to. I've only flown into that with my airline job, but would love to do it in a GA plane....technically it is a GA airport too!!!

Don't feel too bad, I haven't gotten to Cedar Key as of yet, I tried but the weather hasn't held up when I was going to go.

Hmmm, how about airstrip? The backcountry strips have been the most fun.

Airports are pretty generic. Some really nice folks at some but still it’s a few thousand feet of pavement with clear approaches.

My first flying lessons were on grass strips, (48X). I live in the boonies lots of vacant flat land very easy to put a plane down here.

Doesn't Indy Cars race there too? Pretty soon too I think.

Yeah its pretty cool to check out, at KSPG you can still land there next to the racetrack but they close one of the runways so the cars can race through. Honda use to sponsor it but now it's Firestone. They have the event every year 1st or 2nd week of March.

Catalina CA KAVX
Fun to fly to with loads of history to look at. Great restaurant. If your lucky you may see one of the Buffalo wandering around.

I have been to Catalina but not as a pilot but as a tourist. I took the tour bus up the mountain which was fairly scary because the driver was on the edge quite a few times, very scenic up there and it was pretty cool. I heard they killed all of the buffalo on the mountains...but I could be wrong it was over 10 years ago.

As in NY? Haven't flown in there, what's special about it?

Another place I went as a tourist not as a pilot airport was pretty cool, always loved Montauk. (I was born and raised in NY)

Lots of fun airports. Telluride is my overall favorite. Also loved being based at both Newport State (UUU) and SAN Diego Montgomery (MYF).

Mountain flying is a beast I haven't tried yet especially the one way in and out airports. Must be fun just to land there!

Catalina Island. Good food. Great hiking trails with spectacular views. Occasional buffalo, foxes, and other wildlife. Usually fly just off shore of the SoCal beaches on the way. Tough to beat.

Back