What is your cell phone ring? (NA)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Every time my phone rings it makes me giggle. I have Hips Don't Lie by Shakira. What is yours?

I do use Greensleeves for one friend of mine (I can customize the rings). Most other calls are Hips Don't Lie, however. If you're SPECIAL you get a custom ring though. :)

Treo:
Known caller: Blues Slow
Unknown caller: Classic
Roaming: Playful
Voicemail: Alarm Triangle

don't know why, tho ... it's always on vibrate.

it just rings, like a normal telephone.

I do use Greensleeves for one friend of mine (I can customize the rings). Most other calls are Hips Don't Lie, however. If you're SPECIAL you get a custom ring though. :)

Yeah, I think Greensleeves is a beautiful melody and since it came installed in the phone, I just selected it for all incoming calls. I do have photos of my family so that when they call their photo comes up and I know who it is.

I have one ring which is literally an alarm siren (sounds like a raid). WHOOOOOOOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOP. I was thinking of using it for my brother's cell phone, since his 3 yr old always swipes it and calls people randomly (whoever is in my bro's saved list). I will always know when Micah is calling me....

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

James Dean

Depends on the caller (customized rings) but the default is the theme song from Law and Order. :D

I just have the default setting on my phone...personally I find some of the fancy rings downright annoying when someone forgets to take their phone with them, and it keeps ringing. After an hour of hearing the Munsters song over and over again you want to take a sledge hammer to the phone :)

here is a good NPR story on "Ring Rage"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9210663

P.S. make sure you listen to all of the bit. Especially the sponsor credits at the end.

Pete

BlackBerry - the default Cingular tune, but after 3 vibrates. (1 vibrate - email, 2 - appointment, 3 - phonecall). My right side is numb most all day, as the thing doesn't stop vibrating!

Personal phone - a quiet "ding dong" that no one can really hear unless you are paying attention to it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I just changed mine. I had the song Popular from Wicked but it is now Brave Sir Robin from Spamalot.

My voicemail is Lt. Work saying. Captain we are being hailed by an enemy vessel.

An SMS comes through as the Star Trek communicator beeps

Last edited:
I just have the default setting on my phone...personally I find some of the fancy rings downright annoying when someone forgets to take their phone with them, and it keeps ringing. After an hour of hearing the Munsters song over and over again you want to take a sledge hammer to the phone :)

here is a good NPR story on "Ring Rage"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9210663

P.S. make sure you listen to all of the bit. Especially the sponsor credits at the end.

Pete

Oh god. There was a woman at a client accout about 4 years ago who had this phone...

It would ring:

DONG DONG DONG
YOU HAVE AN INCOMING CALL

and then #@$#@$@ repeat 6 @#$%#@%$# times! When someone left a voicemail, you got

BOOP BOOP BOOP
YOU HAVE X VOICEMAILS

and

BEEP BEEP BEPP
YOU HAVE X MISSED CALLS

We ended up taking the battery out one day. It was locked and couldnt' figure out what to do, but it had been doing this for about 4 hours and we were all ready to go postal.

Cheers,

-Andrew

You could also drop it in the toilet. :D

In the olden days if it was a Moto phone, and it was annoyingly left on, I would pick it up, put it into test mode, erase the phone number from the NAM data and then exist out of test mode. There phone would not ring again for a long time after that. They would have to take it back to the operator to be reprogrammed. Nowadays I just take the battery out. Unless I know the person, then I will tend to be more evil.

A long time ago in a telecom land far away we used to carry pagers and have speaker phones. We had one guy who would always have his speaker phone on super loud and we were all forced to hear his banal calls. So I paged him with a phone sex number and he called it on speaker phone. When it answered "High baby are ready for some hot ......." came blasting through. He learned his lesson

Normal ring. Never understood the desire to spend money on f-ing ring tones.

Jeez Scott, if we ever meet remind me to never leave my phone lying around for you to mess with!
Don't sweat it. I only do it when people leave them unattended on more than one occasion. My evil thing now is to download lots of ring tones to their phone at 99 cents each or I change the lock code of their phone from the default and then lock the keypad, turn the phone off and when they return they cannot get the thing to work.

Beethoven's Fifth. The cannons just don't do well on the small speakers...

My phone has the capability to verbally announce your appointments or to do lists or upcoming tasks etc (as well as respond to voice commands to dial, start a program etc). At first I thought that might be handy. But then I realized I could be sitting in a meeting and have my phone suddenly say something like, "Mammogram Appointment - 2:00pm" :hairraise: Maybe it wouldn't be so cool after all. :rofl:

Another fun thing to do with people's phones who ring and ring with them never around to answer is to pair a blue tooth device the you have access to to their phone. When their phone ring answer it and then hang right up.

One of my 99s friends had one that would playback your recording. another 99 nabbed it and said "Marina, answer the *&^&((^&%&% phone" pretty loudly. that was funny. she didn't keep it for too long though.

When my wife is calling it plays Conway Twitty's "Hello Darlin'".

When old drinkin' buddies call it plays Willie Nelson's "Whisky River".

All others get "Hey, God here. Pick up the phone, let's chat" in a deep baratone voice (actually my favorite ring tone). :D

You can just upload mp3 to a lot of phones now. You don't need to buy them. I have me playing Liza Jane and a friend playing Old Joe Clark on my phone.

I'm not going to buy an interface cord just to upload mp3s.

Just get Verizon... you can't use an interface cord, you just pay per ringtone. No choice.

Almost, but not quite. My Motorola E815 could have MP3 ringtones sent to it via SMS if you renamed the MP3 with a .mid extension ;) Plus you can always use the Transflash card.

On my Treo it's even easier since 1) it's a Palm and 2) can just load them on the SD card.

Yeah them USB cords are running pretty expensive these days. BTW why not then just use your bluetooth interface or even email your phone the file?

The OBEX profiles on Verizon phones have been crippled for a while, but there are always more ways :D

Right now my Treo has the default ringtones.
Ditto... almost. It's traditional on known numbers and newer version on unknown numbers. But, there are so many pilots around the school who also have Treos I'm about to change mine. Most of the time in any location, by having an ordinary ring I know it is indeed my phone.

I would never pay money for a ringtone, but my new Nokia (which, by the way, while expensive, is a piece de merde) has no "normal" sounding rings, instead trying to compel me to use one of a number of techno-trance sounding tunes, or some really strange noises, or that insipid antique telephone noise. Best I could do was a ring which starts with a single tone, then a double, then a 1-second burst, that sort of thing.

A long time ago in a telecom land far away we used to carry pagers and have speaker phones. We had one guy who would always have his speaker phone on super loud and we were all forced to hear his banal calls. So I paged him with a phone sex number and he called it on speaker phone. When it answered "High baby are ready for some hot ......." came blasting through. He learned his lesson

By the way, another era entirely, but in the waning days of my old division at Bell & Howell, after we'd been "sold" to a thief and attitudes were... ummm... marginal, one guy took advantage of a quirk in the phone system (an old AT&T/Bell system, the kind with mechanical line-selection buttons, you know the drill). By a quirk, someone figured out that you could transfer a call to the paging system, where it would remain until someone reset the entire phone system (pulled the power).

So they called a 900-number sex line and transferred it to the paging system. It was ha-ha funny.

For a long time, my ringtone was "Move *****" by umm...Ludacris, I think.

Now, its just a ring that sounds like a ring...but more of like a ring played on steel drums, kind of neat.

I just leave mine on vibrate. The only time it really ever leaves my pocket is when it's charging, which is usually overnight. I'm nowhere near masochistic enough to leave my phone on while I'm sleeping.

However, if I need to use it as an alarm clock, there's a tone called "Nova" that came pre-installed that hasn't failed to get my attention.

I ony wish I could have been there for that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back