What is up with this weather??? Ohio/W Virginia area.

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Consider this the VFR with thunderstorms thread re-visited.

Trying to make it to the Waco Reunion in Mount Vernon, OH. It officially starts today, but I've ruled out trying to arrive today due to weather. The next few days look interesting too. Looks like the massive cell over IL right now is going to keep moving east and then looking at the forecasts it may move south and then back north? WTF?

I'm debating overnighting at ROA, CRW or possibly more north at AGC, but concerned I may not get up to the Pittsburgh area before the rain does.

When your max speed is only about 90 kts, it makes planning a bit of a pain.

This has truly been a horrible year. Pending the repair I'm hoping to pass through VA in the next few hours. I'm showing rain cells but no storms... For now

Don't even get me started...Was supposed to fly up to Michigan today but that's not going to happen.

I fly out that way several times per summer. Have family in NW Ohio. Usually some IFR/Mountain obscuration from Roanoke to Charleston. But you can usually get on top of it. Then, sometimes you get pretty strong squall lines on the other side of the appalachians. The storms are usually more severe up there in the heat of summer.

Just be glad it's not winter. I left raleigh one day and it was 45F. Landed 2.5 hours later and it was 4 degrees F.

In just the past 30 days, 12.6 of the 20.4 hours I have flown have been in Actual IFR conditions. Almost every flight required me to file IFR. Its been a wet 30 days. I could not imagine not having my instrument rating.

It's not just OH and WV. The whole eastern half of the country is in a wet pattern. VT has had at least 6" above normal over the past month. I had a condo association meeting Tue night that I couldn't make because the weather kept me grounded until Wed. And I'm instrument rated. TSRA, I stay on the ground unless it's VERY scattered and/or I can stay VFR.

In just the past 30 days, 12.6 of the 20.4 hours I have flown have been in Actual IFR conditions. Almost every flight required me to file IFR. Its been a wet 30 days. I could not imagine not having my instrument rating.

I'm instrument rated, but the biplane.....not so much. Original 1930s panel- no gyro or AI.

At any rate, decided to stop at Roanoke for the night (hangar available). I'll re-evaluate in the morning.

Well, this doesn't look terribly encouraging.....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1435312882.958321.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1435312882.958321.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 32
Don't even get me started...Was supposed to fly up to Michigan today but that's not going to happen.

Where at in MI?

Fearless, Mt Vernon is a great place, I've known Brian for years, make sure to ask him about 'big jim'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With today's rain, St. Louis will likely have the wettest June on record...over 14" thus far...predicting up to 2" to 3" more today.

Last edited:
I'm stuck in Roanoke now. Couldn't get out before it hit. Thankfully, the Waco is in a hangar.

I tell ya what, these days when you look at all the inflight weather products, it is amazing anyone survived flying the mail in the 20s.

Where at in MI?

Fearless, Mt Vernon is a great place, I've known Brian for years, make sure to ask him about 'big jim'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Western Michigan University for a college visit. Had to drive instead so 4.5 hrs in the car vs less than 2 in the plane :mad2:

I'm stuck in Roanoke now. Couldn't get out before it hit. Thankfully, the Waco is in a hangar.

I tell ya what, these days when you look at all the inflight weather products, it is amazing anyone survived flying the mail in the 20s.

I am near HTS if you need anything- PMsg me. The New River valley would be my route also. I'd take a peek up the valley around 10-11 AM. It is going to get worse after 4 PM. Those pesky warm fronts. A cold front will be pushing through tonight. Be careful.

ROA got hammered last night. I was watching that storm on the radar and the METAR said winds were gusting to 60kts

I expect that any Californians reading this thread are shaking their heads wishing that they had these problems. Would hate to have the drought that they are experiencing...no matter how good it would make the flying.

Been a rough Spring and Summer doesn't appear to be any better.

bc41f7cbb27404ac1a667be319231899.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back