What is up with Chicago ATC?

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Today I had a first time event.

I was flying near Midway and had requested FF from MDW ATC. They are good guys and have always given me FF when requested. When I get to the western part of their airspace unlike what usually happens which is that FF is canceled and I am told to squawk 1200, I was asked if I wanted a hand off to Chi-App. "SURE!" I responded and I got it!

As I continued west Chi-app notified me that I was leaving their airspace and that Center was ready to take over. WTF! That never happens when VFR. Is today ATC bizzaro day?

I was flying near Midway and had requested FF from MDW ATC. They are good guys and have always given me FF when requested. When I get to the western part of their airspace unlike what usually happens which is that FF is canceled and I am told to squawk 1200, I was asked if I wanted a hand off to Chi-App. "SURE!" I responded and I got it!

As I continued west Chi-app notified me that I was leaving their airspace and that Center was ready to take over. WTF! That never happens when VFR. Is today ATC bizzaro day?
Wow! My understanding was that the lack of handoff has been due to a Letter of Agreement between the various ATC entities (or lack thereof). This would seem to indicate that this situation has changed, because I could envision encountering one rogue controller on a flight (well, actually a pair of them), but two? Hopefully this augurs good things for the region!

No way! Okay, I'm going to try that. I'll post my results. :)

They just got their Class B redesigned and most likely received a lot of critiques for lack of service to VFR aircraft.

They were told to play nice..

Plus if they can up their traffic count.. they can keep their classification for pay level.
Traffic counts are down all over.. not enough aircraft serviced and their pay level can go down.

Whoa.
"Oh great and powerful wizard of Chicago Approach this is Seneca XXYYZ, 10 SW of JOT looking for flight following if you can hear my non air-carrier waves........."

I think not. I'll be filing IFR.

Traffic counts are down all over.. not enough aircraft serviced and their pay level can go down.

This must be happening in a lot of places. Because I have heard center going out of their way to provide services to GA aircraft that several years ago would have been told unable.

I sure don't want to see ATC go the way of the FSS. Lockmart is absolutely the worst weather provider out there.

Wow! Only time I've been handed off FROM Chicago Approach (on the rare occasions they'll talk to me to begin with) was when I was IFR - And they dumped me off to Rockford before I was even out of the Bravo!

On 10/31 I was in touch with CHI al the way around until the WI border when I was dropped for 10 miles or so before MKE would pick me up.

I suspect they are being protective of the new airspace and talking to VFR guys to make sure they stay out of it. Probably until they think most VFR guys know the new boundaries.

Back