pookies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pookies
12-11-08_1214.jpg

There is this white stuff all over everything!! ??????? :dunno:

:D :D :D

It's that stuff helping Ric make a living when it gets deep enough. :)

Though, he should show good faith and put skis on the 310!

It is EVIL, Pook. Whatever you do, do NOT wish for 'more' of it!

LMAO. I did that last year after I got my snow blower. I didn't want to buy it and then not use it. What a mistake. RECORD snow. According to Farmer's Almanac, if you put any faith in their predictions, we are supposed to get double this year.

LMAO. I did that last year after I got my snow blower. I didn't want to buy it and then not use it. What a mistake. RECORD snow. According to Farmer's Almanac, if you put any faith in their predictions, we are supposed to get double this year.

Ha! We got little in the DC area last year. The local weather gurus (a bit more sophisticated that Farmer's Almanac) are calling for "above average" white stuff this year.

Slip slidin' away...

That thing is eerily accurate. Mostly b/c it is so vague with predictions, but still...

A picture from downtown N. O. today.

snow41.jpg

Holy cow! This isn't the random 'dusting' is it!? I can only imagine how the road ditches look down there. As you already mentioned, state DOT departments don't have the snow removal and road treatment equipment like we do up here in the rust belt. Good luck to ya'll. Hopefully you have enough in the freezer to survive until the yahoo's get off the roads. ;)

It's worse the further south you go from my location...

http://www.wwl.com/pages/3477072.php?contentType=4&contentId=3196741

It began falling before dawn North of the lake and then spread to the entire region.

National Weather Service Forecaster Jim Vasilj says snow has never been recorded this early in the season. "This is the earliest snowfall in New Orleans," he told WWL First News.

In Covington, Police Captain Jack West is urging people to stay put. "We've got about 2 inches of ice on roadways," he said in urging people to staff off the slippery roads. "Please stay home."

St. Tammany Sheriff Jack Strain says, "The weight of the snow on the trees and the limbs is creating problems." He warns that some trees are blocking roads and others have fallen on cars. He calls it "quite remarkable" and urges people to exercise extreme caution.

There are thousands of power outages across the region due to trees and limbs falling and pulling down power lines.

State police are also encouraging everyone to stay home if they can in Tangipahoa, Washington, St. Tammany and St. Helena Parishes.

Global warming, no doubt. The line crews are going to have fun in the swamps with this one.

Holy cow! This isn't the random 'dusting' is it!? I can only imagine how the road ditches look down there. As you already mentioned, state DOT departments don't have the snow removal and road treatment equipment like we do up here in the rust belt. Good luck to ya'll. Hopefully you have enough in the freezer to survive until the yahoo's get off the roads. ;)

What is it?

It's a rabbit hutch with a very small trace amount of snow on it.

The snow is COMPLETELY gone!!! You would of never known that we had all of that this morning!!

The snow is COMPLETELY gone!!! You would of never known that we had all of that this morning!!

"All of that"? Danielle, you need to come visit one of these northern states. That was a light dusting. ;)

Dear Henning,

You Suck!

Sincerely Pete

P.S. Current Madison, WI METAR - KMSN 121853Z 29003KT 10SM CLR M12/M19 A3014 RMK AO2 SLP223 T11171189

There is this white stuff all over everything!! ??????? :dunno:

:D :D :D

Bah. That ain't snow. This here is snow they sometimes get on Canada's east coast:

NewfieHwyA.jpg

NewfieHwyB.jpg

That's a highway, guys. And at our end of Canada (western):
normal_PICT0019.JPG

Going to hit minus 35°C here this weekend. That's about -30°F for you Murkins. Time to get the jacket out.

Dan

Last edited:
Last time I was in Ottawa in the winter it was 6+ feet deep.... was talking with a guy at the Canandian embassy the other night who spent time in Winnepeg - he thinks this weather is "warm and mild".

Avalanche fodder

It is that, alright, in the mountains. Every year bozos on skis or snowmobiles go into areas they're warned to stay out of, and they die. 15 of them last year, IIRC. A few years ago a high-school class was skiing across an open, steep snow-covered face when it let go and killed a bunch of them. They just don't understand the structural weaknesses of some of the different types of snowflakes. Really cold air produces a flat, smooth plate-like hexagonal flake that acts like a bunch of smooth coins; they slide across each other real easy. Heavier snow produced in warmer conditions (the stereotypical snowflake, with those six arms and many barbs) tends to stick together better, but a bunch of the heavy stuff atop the plate stuff is dynamite indeed.

Speaking of dynamite: They use howitzers to knock loose those snowpacks above the highways in the bad areas. Close the highway, make sure nobody's around, blow it and watch it thunder down the mountain. Then spend hours pushing it off the road.

Dan

Last edited:
Back