What is the possibility.....

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
..... of Flying to the San Francisco area commercially, and then hiring a cfi and plane to "checkout", and also drop my wife and I off at Mariposa-Yosemite airport? I want to do the flying, and I would have to be checked out to do that, but I have no desire to rent a plane for the entire week I would be at Yosemite, accruing rental charges without using the plane. I would also need more than the standard checkout, I would assume, considering the elevations and proximity to the "cumulo granite" out there. The cfi would also have to pick us up again. This would seem to fall into the part 135 trap, however, since I am being dropped off at another airport. Any way to get around this problem, or should I just drive from San Francisco?

This would be a great trip with the Twinkie, but way too costly. Besides, I have a free reward to use up.

I believe... it's got the POTENTIAL to be a 135 trap, unless you get to know the CFI, and can both agree it really is YOU flying/logging PIC-dual/getting the checkout. IMHO, this shouldn't be a problem; Let me go on record: I'd do it. I think the benefit to risk ratio is sufficient.

If it works for you, call Aeroventure at Petaluma. I rented from them, and they are very good. Have a Comanche 260 you could get instructional time in and fly fast, too.

They also now have Cessna 359ES on the line, which I may have to rent some day just to say I did.

Try Ahart at Livermore.

I'm sure you can do whatever you're willing to pay for. Take the CFI out with you and have him fly the plane back....paying for all of the plane and CFI hours you need.

I really don't see it as a 135 issue. If you are really getting instruction, nothing I know of says the CFI can't bring the plane to you or has to return you to the same airport you started from.

You might also try http://www.california-airways.com/ at Hayward.

Joe

Go to www.thefinerpoints.net. Jason Miller runs that site and the affiliated podcast, and is a CFI at OAK. Perhaps he could arrange something for you. There's also a DA40 at his school... you could use the time to get "checked out" in that type... it'll give you some G1000 time :).

I second Joe's suggestion of California Airways. Kareem Kafami from the Red borad is a senior CFI there and a fine person from everything I've seen of him on the board. The next time I get out to SFO to see my sister I plan of schedualing something with him.

I also second Spike's slap on his forehead.

Go to www.thefinerpoints.net. Jason Miller runs that site and the affiliated podcast, and is a CFI at OAK. Perhaps he could arrange something for you. There's also a DA40 at his school... you could use the time to get "checked out" in that type... it'll give you some G1000 time :).

PJ,

Diamond Star niner eight niner mike alpha is not something from his school. It belongs to Rob Honeycutt, owner of Zuluworks.

It's also for sale... http://www.controller.com/listings/detail.aspx?ohid=1116535 $209K for a beautiful DA40/G1000. Hmmm...

I stand corrected. With as often as he seems to fly and record audio in it, I assumed that it was a school plane. Thanks Kent.

..... of Flying to the San Francisco area commercially, and then hiring a cfi and plane to "checkout", and also drop my wife and I off at Mariposa-Yosemite airport? I want to do the flying, and I would have to be checked out to do that, but I have no desire to rent a plane for the entire week I would be at Yosemite, accruing rental charges without using the plane. I would also need more than the standard checkout, I would assume, considering the elevations and proximity to the "cumulo granite" out there. The cfi would also have to pick us up again. This would seem to fall into the part 135 trap, however, since I am being dropped off at another airport. Any way to get around this problem, or should I just drive from San Francisco?

This would be a great trip with the Twinkie, but way too costly. Besides, I have a free reward to use up.

Totally legit, give Kareem a call or email, Cell: 5*1*0-8*8*2-8*7*7*8, Email: kareemfahmi@hotmail.com He's the chief flight instructor at California Airways in Hayward. You can even Bart&Bus there pretty easily.

OK, I'll bite, what the heck is "Bart&Bus?"

Bay Area Rapid Transit= BART (take the green line), and a bus is, well a bus, a big vehicle that spews fumes and hauls people around. The po' peoples version of an inconvienient taxi.

Not in San Fran... they have the buses with the skipoles off the back connecting to power lines :).

Only on select lines. Still lots of diesels, and the one he'll take over in Eastbay to get to HWD is most definitely a diesel.

Inconvenient Taxi... Hehe... That's how I see the airlines... Hehe

Back