What is the best way to study for the Instrument Written Test?

If the test is 60 questions you’ll only get one or two hsi questions (probably)

So just get 100% on everything else! Easy

If the test is 60 questions you’ll only get one or two hsi questions (probably)

So just get 100% on everything else! Easy
That's a good point I hadn't thought about yet. Then again, when I took my PE exam many years ago the odds were there'd only be 2 geotechnical questions...there were 8 and I damn near fell out of my chair because I punted on those during the studying!!

Welp, all I can say is trust the process. Just passed IFR written with a 95%. Woohoo!

When I took the written for my PPL I used an online data base and some other things (wiz wheel etc.)

Any advice on how to study for the IFR Written Test please?

Thanks.
Sheppard Air has the best on-line study app that I have found! Good Luck!

If you are just wanting to get the written out of the way before training sheppardair and a few days studying it will get it done. Then you can focus on learning and flying. You will be surprised how much you retain from studying this way too.
“a few days studying will get it done”…. does anyone know how many hours they spent?

I keep realizing how much I don’t know yet and was hoping to take the test soon. I bet i’ve got 40 hours of study on top of the videos (sportys learn to fly)

I find many new topics appearing in the test prep quizzes that were not ever mentioned in training.

it’s overwhelming !

For me, after Sportys and taking almost a year off, it took me a 3 day weekend on Shepard Air to finish up. It was much better than Sporty's in the questions verses the actual test. I scored a 95 on the real one. Just follow their directions carefully. Ill be honest, I did about 30% of the final step because I felt confident enough and was burned out on studying at that point! That cost me 1 question on the actual.

“a few days studying will get it done”…. does anyone know how many hours they spent?

I keep realizing how much I don’t know yet and was hoping to take the test soon. I bet i’ve got 40 hours of study on top of the videos (sportys learn to fly)

I find many new topics appearing in the test prep quizzes that were not ever mentioned in training.

it’s overwhelming !

If you haven’t completed the PPL written, why are you asking about the IFR written?

There’s 10x the knowledge (or more) spanning the instrument rating, very little of which is backwards compatible with PPL.

But if you don’t actually learn and comprehend the PPL stuff, you won’t have a transferable knowledge base for at least some of the IRA.

If you haven’t completed the PPL written, why are you asking about the IFR written?

There’s 10x the knowledge (or more) spanning the instrument rating, very little of which is backwards compatible with PPL.

But if you don’t actually learn and comprehend the PPL stuff, you won’t have a transferable knowledge base for at least some of the IRA.
no i’m talking about the learn to fly course

im struggling w the test prep cuz 20% of it is brand new info ive never heard of throughout studying

so im trying to ask this in a IFR topic ? sorry I didn’t know that

…I’m struggling w the test prep cuz 20% of it is brand new info ive never heard of throughout studying…
The Private ACS provides the source material reference (that’s free, no less).

In your Sporty’s app, got to Tools > Checkride Prep > Airmen Certification Standards

By section, Sproty’s cross-references each of their modules to the ACS. The FAA hasn’t released a public question bank in years, so don’t be surprised to see new questions on the written. Those references are the sources for the written. You’ll actually have to learn the concepts, not just memorize questions banks to be successful.

The ACS itself will include something like the following in each section. Here’s your study guide.
References - 14 CFR parts 61, 68, 91; Risk Management Handbook (FAA-H-8083-2), Seaplane, Skiplane, and Float/Ski Equipped Helicopter Operations Handbook (FAA-H-8083-23), Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25), Alternate Pilot Physical Examination and Education Requirements (AC 68-1)
Knowledge - The applicant demonstrates understanding of:
1) Certification requirements, recent flight experience, and recordkeeping.
2) Privileges and limitations.
3) Medical certificates: class, expiration, privileges, temporary disqualifications.
4) Documents required to exercise private pilot privileges.
5) Part 68 BasicMed privileges and limitations.

no i’m talking about the learn to fly course

im struggling w the test prep cuz 20% of it is brand new info ive never heard of throughout studying

so im trying to ask this in a IFR topic ? sorry I didn’t know that
The subject lone of the thread is for instruments. Shepard Air doesn't have a PPL course.

Lots of people recommending Shephard Air or Sporty's for instrument, but has anyone used Pilot Institute's courses? Saw them at Sun N' Fun this year, I think they're relatively new. I'm still working on my PPL but they seem to be pretty in-depth from what I hear.

Back