Display name:
Tom-D
picture

Attachments

• what is it:.jpg
    what is it:.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 124
what gave it away?
Also the 17x shape of the rear cabin windows, the lack of an adjustable stabilizer, the shape of the rudder mass balance, the rudder extending down to the bottom of the tailcone ...

Here's another 175, with modified cabin windows to make it look even more like a newer C-180:

Img_0566e.jpg

This looks like a P-172 powermatic. 1963 actually a 175 type certificate.

This looks like a P-172 powermatic. 1963 actually a 175 type certificate.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

IMG_1901.JPG

cessna_p172d_bw.jpg

This rare bird is one of the 65 P172D models built. 62 were built in the US, three more in France as FP172D. There are 32 left on the FAA register.

For the 1963 model year the Model 175 was merged into the 172 line. So the P172D ("172 Powermatic" and deluxe "Skyhawk Powermatic") was basically a 175C, with the geared 175 hp GO-300 engine, constant-speed propeller and cowl flaps, combined with the 172D's new Omni-Vision rear window. The P172 was discontinued after the 1963 model year.

This one looks like it's been modified with a different engine and cowl, possibly an Avcon 180-hp Lycoming conversion, or maybe even a Franklin 220.

One more, and we'll let this one percolate overnight.

For a change of pace, this one is unmodified. Everything, even the paint scheme, is original from the factory.

What year and model?

Mystery_02.jpg

This aircraft was described in the book "Wings for the world" by William D. Thompson as the best aircraft built by cessna in this series, it was quieter, and lighter on the controls of any of the 172s

For a change of pace, this one is unmodified. Everything, even the paint scheme, is original from the factory.

What year and model?

Mystery_02.jpg

This one is throwing me. Is it a mid 60's 182k? Or is this one of those Reims jobs? I'll guess both, a Reims 182

Last edited:
What did the "power Maddock" refer to?

Also: what is an "adjustable stabilizer"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powermatic was a nickname for the constant-speed prop. An adjustable stabilizer uses a jackscrew to tilt the horizontal stabilizer AOA rather than the more common trim tabs on the elevators to adjust control pressures (Skywagons and Cubs are common types with a jackscrew).

What did the "power Maddock" refer to?
You mean "Powermatic"? That was the name Cessna gave to the 1963 P172D "172 Powermatic" and deluxe version "Skyhawk Powermatic" -- because they were built with a geared GO-300 engine that put out 175 hp (same as the 1958-62 Model 175) instead of the regular 172/Skyhawk's 145 hp. Page from 1963 brochure below.

Also: what is an "adjustable stabilizer"?
For pitch trim, some airplanes don't use trim tabs. Instead, moving the trim wheel causes the leading edge of the entire horizontal stabilizer to move up or down, changing its angle of incidence. Disadvantage is that it's a more complex system; advantage is less drag and in some cases a better feel. Examples of airplanes with this system are Piper Cubs, Pacers and Tri-Pacers; and Cessna 182s before 1962, and all 180s and 185s.

In this photo of a 1960 C-182C, in the tailcone just above the horizontal stabilizer you can see a small gap where the stabilizer can move vertically.

cessna_182c_skylane2.jpg

The stabilizer of most high-wing Pipers moves up and down in a slot at the leading edge, as in this photo of a 1962 Super Cub:

pa-18-150_1962.jpg

Attachments

• C172D-02.jpg
    C172D-02.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

What year and model?

Mystery_02.jpg

How did the French spell "Cessna" in 1971?

Am I on the Cessna pilots assoc. web site?

How did the French spell "Cessna" in 1971?

However they spelled it, they still powered it with an O-300 in 1971.

This is a 1971 Reims-Cessna F172H. While US-built 172s switched to the Lycoming O-320 in 1968 (172I), French-built 172s stayed with the 145-hp Rolls-Royce/Continental O-300-D through the 1971 model year.

Note the silver "Rolls-Royce" logo just below the windshield.

cessna_f172h_1971_4.jpg

Other detail changes (e.g., window shape, drooped wingtips, tubular MLG) came along at the same time as they did on US-built versions. But the Reims model suffix letter didn't track with Wichita, and the F172H model number was used from 1967 through 1971 despite the changes. The "Skyhawk" name wasn't used by Reims until 1974.

This is not a "Reims Rocket" -- that was the FR172 with 210-hp RR/Continental IO-360. That had a larger, higher cowl, similar to the later US-built Hawk XP.

LOL. Yeah I meant powermatic. I guess Siri did not understand what I told her to type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siri is a dumb blond. When I ask her to find recipes for crawfish stock, she tries to look up wall street ticker symbols. For some reason she never finds them either! :goofy:

Back