What is it?

roncachamp

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Steven P McNicoll
Well, it's an Airborne Surveillance Drone, of course, says so right on the data plate. But it's a type I'm completely unfamiliar with and I can't find any information on it.

The aircraft is in the Weeks Hangar in Oshkosh. The section shown is about eight feet long, there were no other pieces nearby. I've Googled various combinations of the info on the data plate, nothing pops up that looks like this thing. Drones that did pop up were all parachute recovery, but this thing has skids.

Attachments

• image 01.jpg
    image 01.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image 02.jpg
    image 02.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image 03.jpg
    image 03.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image 04.jpg
    image 04.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image 05.jpg
    image 05.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 61
  • image 06.jpg
    image 06.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image 07.jpg
    image 07.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image 08.jpg
    image 08.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image 09.jpg
    image 09.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image 10.jpg
    image 10.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image 11.jpg
    image 11.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
The description down in the bottom of this EAA web page calls it the MQM-58 Overseer Drone

http://zenith750project.com/2013/10/10/fuel-tank-wiring-baggage-deburring-and-engine-mount-gussets/

and does link to this page
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-58.html

Maybe?

Well, I'm not in a position to say they're wrong, I assume they have all the major pieces. But I just don't see it. The info on the MQM-58A says it was recovered by parachute, so why the skids? I also don't see any evidence of the skids in the image.

mqm-58a.jpg

Skeet for the fleet, the mission of the targets dept of the naval missal center at Pt.Mugu.

For the 5years I was there they fired AQM, BQM, and MQM almost every day, the fleet would shoot them down on the Pacific Missile range between Pt.Mugu and San Nicholas Is.
When the drone hits the water a battery will Guillotine the parachute and the radio package is discharged to be recovered by the helo crews.

Some of the drones were deployed from under the wing of the P2V-5 & 7 belonging to NMC, some were rocket assisted launch.

Ryan in San Diego was the major manufacturer for them.

The first link I posted aside, given that Aerojet primarily makes rockets, it's probably some sort of rocket propelled drone. I have a buddy that works for Aerojet, maybe he can find out.

Read the inscribed data plate on the first pic; "V-260".

Then read the WHOLE description of the MQM-58 program.

Skeet for the fleet, the mission of the targets dept of the naval missal center at Pt.Mugu.

For the 5years I was there they fired AQM, BQM, and MQM almost every day, the fleet would shoot them down on the Pacific Missile range between Pt.Mugu and San Nicholas Is.
When the drone hits the water a battery will Guillotine the parachute and the radio package is discharged to be recovered by the helo crews.

Some of the drones were deployed from under the wing of the P2V-5 & 7 belonging to NMC, some were rocket assisted launch.

Ryan in San Diego was the major manufacturer for them.

A bit odd that a target drone would have DRONE, AIRBORNE SURVEILLANCE on it's data plate. Why have skids if it's to be dropped in the water?

Read the inscribed data plate on the first pic; "V-260".

Then read the WHOLE description of the MQM-58 program.

I read the WHOLE description. Today, and also ten days ago, on the day I took the photos. It includes this; "After completion of its mission, it was landed by a parachute recovery system." But this thing has got skids. Look at image 02, to the left of center you can see the extended nose skid. The left main is extended, partially hidden by the Glastar strut. The right main is at the far right tied up almost flush. Image 03 has a better view of it.

I read the WHOLE description. Today, and also ten days ago, on the day I took the photos. It includes this; "After completion of its mission, it was landed by a parachute recovery system." But this thing has got skids. Look at image 02, to the left of center you can see the extended nose skid. The left main is extended, partially hidden by the Glastar strut. The right main is at the far right tied up almost flush. Image 03 has a better view of it.

The skids are for the launcher, not recovery.

Back