What is it like to fly a Cirrus?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
So far this past summer I have flown a 172, 182 and a Piper. I see quite a few Cirrus planes at the airport. Do you know of a place that I could go in Florida that does intro flights in a Cirrus? I can do around $500 for an hour.

Thanks!

So far this past summer I have flown a 172, 182 and a Piper. I see quite a few Cirrus planes at the airport. Do you know of a place that I could go in Florida that does intro flights in a Cirrus? I can do around $500 for an hour.

Thanks!

There's a place that does Cirrus on FXE, Platinum, or Diamond aviation, east of Banyan but around there.

I won't fly a Cirrus because I'd end up wanting one and they are still pretty high-dollar.

If you're just looking for a demo flight, call a Cirrus dealership, they'll take you up for free and will probably come to you

I test flew one a few weeks ago. It was an '02 6pack version. I've only flown a 172 and a 150 before. The side-stick felt pretty natural, I'm sure if I continue on in the plane there will be situations where the springs will be more noticeable to me. Only problem I had was taxiing. Sight window on landing would take some more time. But overall a very good experience flying. Oh and it'll take some time to stop make radio calls as "Cessna, uh I mean Cirrus"

Edited to add it was an SR20 not the 22.

Last edited:
For anyone looking to buy one, be prepared for sticker shock in insurance.

I recently inquired about an SR20 in the 150k range, standard coverage, 200 hours with SEL IA rating and was quoted $4200/yr. I asked, don't you mean$2400? She said no, $4200.

So for a fixed gear $150k airplane, I am paying in the range of $400k bonanza insurance? Yea, no thanks. It's a nice plane, but not that nice.

I recently inquired about an SR20 in the 150k range, standard coverage, 200 hours with SEL IA rating and was quoted $4200/yr. I asked, don't you mean$2400? She said no, $4200.

So for a fixed gear $150k airplane, I am paying in the range of $400k bonanza insurance? Yea, no thanks. It's a nice plane, but not that nice.

Did you ask how much the coverage would be with 100 hours in the airplane? It makes a big difference in 'advanced' aircraft.

Was there any additional explanation as to how they justified $4200/yr?

The quote I got was for less than $2k. Haven't talked to the insurance company directly just an email quote so things may change drastically. I was surprised how "inexpensive" it was.

Sounds right if that's a new $600k plane, actually "best rate" is 1% insured value which is very good. Notice that with 100hrs in the SR-22 the insurance was 1/3rd of the first year quote, and this is typical for twins and other complex, high performance, planes.

The SR-20 may yield better numbers. I bet if someone started training in an SR-20 and got their PPL and IR in it they would have a very good initial rate if they bought a SR-22 at that point.

My father is looking at adding either a Trinidad, Commander, or SR22.
He is ~400 hrs and not yet inst. rated. Will be interesting to see what the insurance company comes back with on those.

I am silently pulling for the commander. They're just gorgeous planes IMO.

Sounds right if that's a new $600k plane, actually "best rate" is 1% insured value which is very good. Notice that with 100hrs in the SR-22 the insurance was 1/3rd of the first year quote, and this is typical for twins and other complex, high performance, planes.

The SR-20 may yield better numbers. I bet if someone started training in an SR-20 and got their PPL and IR in it they would have a very good initial rate if they bought a SR-22 at that point.

Problem with the wordpress guy is he doesn't understand the cheapest part of the claim is the damage to the aircraft...

WOW. I earned my PPL in February of this year. I own a 2002 SR20. Insurance is 1700 a year! NOw that I have my instrument its going way down.

I was quoted $4400 for SR22 when I was private - just qouted last week at 2400 dollars with instrument..

Thanks!

OP if you want to go fly with me around florida PM me... I try to fly every day if I can..

No clue why it was so high. This was from AOPA.

The rep said although the crash stats have come down significantly, the claim rate on the Cirrus line was what drives the premium. We had a longer conversation about this than anything. If I recall correctly, I went and looked up her claim and it appeared the Cirrus was twice as likely to have a claim than a Bonanza. But those stats have been dropping significantly.

She also mentioned I would almost certainly have to have some sort of Cirrus safety program training before I could fly solo.

I would consider selling my Archer to step into a SR20 or 22, but the insurance rate and the typical annual cost pretty much eat all my flying cash before getting it off the ground.

No clue why it was so high. This was from AOPA.

The rep said although the crash stats have come down significantly, the claim rate on the Cirrus line was what drives the premium. We had a longer conversation about this than anything. If I recall correctly, I went and looked up her claim and it appeared the Cirrus was twice as likely to have a claim than a Bonanza. But those stats have been dropping significantly.

She also mentioned I would almost certainly have to have some sort of Cirrus safety program training before I could fly solo.

I would consider selling my Archer to step into a SR20 or 22, but the insurance rate and the typical annual cost pretty much eat all my flying cash before getting it off the ground.

Yaeh that's odd... I'm AOPA as well. but is what it is.... I almost did buy an Archer before my SR20 The Archer seller was dead set on his price. Wouldnt budge.

2 weeks after I bought the SR20 he called and said he'd take my offer... little late. Was a great airplane though.

But yaeh - i'm ready for a SR22.... SR20 is great but I want a bit more power.

Interesting though on the insurance....

That's crazy! In 2009, I bought N48TG with 48 Hours total time. I had to do 10 hours with an instructor for insurance purposes. My yearly cost was $1736! After I put 150 hours in it, my insurance dropped to $1200 ish. I bought it for $160K and had the hull valued at $185K.

Shop around... $4200 is nuts

I'm glad to hear my quote is more the norm and not the outlier.

The Cirrus has some of the best systems available in a piston GA and has very good performance. However, coming from a Bonanza, I just don't like the way they fly.

What's it like to fly a Cirrus? It's more difficult than any other plane I've flown...and I've flown them all.

But I just bought an SR22. Why? They are extremely comfortable, the avionics are flat-out amazing...so much redundancy and situational awareness...and the parachute.

And the "hard to fly" becomes "easy to fly" over time.

Also, 5 - 10 year old low time models are an extreme bargain. You can get a like-new SR22 with all the bells and whistles and mid time engine for under $200K easy. Compare that to a 182...Cirrus is MUCH nicer, faster. It's a Buyers market for whatever reason.

Shop around for a broker. Insurance will be more. But as Cirrus accident rates improve, they will go down even more.

Florida's a big place, can you get more specific?

I live on the West coast side of Florida, Tampa FL, Saint Petersburg FL and Sarasota is where I frequent!

And for an intro-to-Cirrus flight I'd expect $180-280.

Not too bad! Maybe I will do 2 Hours!

EDIT: locator map at [URL="http://cirrusaircraft.com/advanced_map/"]http://cirrusaircraft.com/advanced_map/[/URL]

Not too bad! Maybe I will do 2 Hours! I will start contacting the people on the list!

I won't fly a Cirrus because I'd end up wanting one and they are still pretty high-dollar.

I might feel the same way, I will let you know once I go up in one!

If you're just looking for a demo flight, call a Cirrus dealership, they'll take you up for free and will probably come to you

I don't even have my PPL yet, (Working on it) The first question the dealer would probably ask is if I'm licensed and if I have the cash, Both answers are Not yet! Not so sure if they would waste time on just a flight to see what they fly like.

OP if you want to go fly with me around florida PM me... I try to fly every day if I can..

Sweet! where do you fly? I will PM you!

He's gonna have a brand new SR22 in a week or so - but gonna be over at KCRG.. Can't wait to fly it :)

Let me know how it flies! PM me!

What's it like to fly a Cirrus? It's more difficult than any other plane I've flown...and I've flown them all.

But I just bought an SR22. Why? They are extremely comfortable, the avionics are flat-out amazing...so much redundancy and situational awareness...and the parachute.

And the "hard to fly" becomes "easy to fly" over time.

Also, 5 - 10 year old low time models are an extreme bargain. You can get a like-new SR22 with all the bells and whistles and mid time engine for under $200K easy. Compare that to a 182...Cirrus is MUCH nicer, faster. It's a Buyers market for whatever reason.

Shop around for a broker. Insurance will be more. But as Cirrus accident rates improve, they will go down even more.

What makes the airplane difficult to fly?

Regarding how difficult it is to fly, I found it slightly harder than an old 172 (but not a lot harder). Because of two factors: the need to get speeds right, on approach and landing, and more systems to learn. Cirrus recommends a 10 hour transition training program, and that is enough to get started.

Recurrent training for safety is recommended, and the type club, COPA, has very good weekend program for that, modeled after one for Bonanzas.

Weird.

I also came to Cirrus after flying many different types (though a long, long way from "all"!), and owning a handful of Cessnas, Citabrias and Grummans.

I found the basic flying characteristics of the Cirrus rather ordinary. Not that much different from a slightly larger, heavier-on-the-controls Tiger - which I was coming from.

Speed control on final was important, though that's true of any clean low wing. I found crosswinds very easy to handle.

If there was anything more difficult, it was the level of automation and avionics complexity - but that would be pretty much equal in any plane with similar avionics and capability. My Avidyne suite was pretty easy to learn. The Garmins 430's took a lot of training, as I think the full Garmin panels did in spades.

But basic flying? Meh - it's just another plane.

I'm transitioning to an SR22 out of 172s and I don't find it to be difficult to manage. Landings are easier in my opinion because the plane is going faster and is more stable. Crosswind landings are much less of an event.

The biggest thing is that it goes a lot faster and gives you a lot more information so you have to stay well ahead of it or slow it down until you're comfortable.

I have been doing my training in a c172 and a Citabria (for some tail wheel fun). One of my instructors runs a shared ownership Cirrus program. I made the mistake of going for a ride with him a couple times and now I am buying a share of a SR22. Just a joy to fly. Precise, comfortable and predictable. I will be using it to get my IR and it will make a fantastic cross country machine for the family. I found it much easier to fly than the c172 - less floaty and much faster control response.

Weird.

I also came to Cirrus after flying many different types (though a long, long way from "all"!), and owning a handful of Cessnas, Citabrias and Grummans.

I found the basic flying characteristics of the Cirrus rather ordinary. Not that much different from a slightly larger, heavier-on-the-controls Tiger - which I was coming from.

Speed control on final was important, though that's true of any clean low wing. I found crosswinds very easy to handle.

If there was anything more difficult, it was the level of automation and avionics complexity - but that would be pretty much equal in any plane with similar avionics and capability. My Avidyne suite was pretty easy to learn. The Garmins 430's took a lot of training, as I think the full Garmin panels did in spades.

But basic flying? Meh - it's just another plane.

I'm a gadget guy so I would probably love it!! I have to fly it and see. I contacted all of the Cirrus places in my area looking forward to a response!

Has anybody learned how to fly in a Cirrus?

I have been doing my training in a c172 and a Citabria (for some tail wheel fun). One of my instructors runs a shared ownership Cirrus program. I made the mistake of going for a ride with him a couple times and now I am buying a share of a SR22. Just a joy to fly. Precise, comfortable and predictable. I will be using it to get my IR and it will make a fantastic cross country machine for the family. I found it much easier to fly than the c172 - less floaty and much faster control response.

Congrats!!!

I think the managed fractional ownership model that I have seen in the Cirrus market sector is bloody brilliant. It would be nice if their communist overlords would open a nationwide (really I want them to be world wide, but that's too much to ask) string of FBO/service centers, and for a buy in fee of 1/6th or 1/8th of an aircraft you get access to one at any of their FBOs with a nominal hourly charge, and you can drop it off at any of their other FBOs. If I have mechanical issues enroute, I drop it off and jump in another and keep going...

If someone came out with this model of business for GA, it would be very successful, especially using a plane like the Cirrus.

Last edited:
I think the managed fractional ownership model that I have seen in the Cirrus market sector is bloody brilliant. It would be nice if their communist overlords would open a nationwide (really I want them to be world wide, but that's too much to ask) string of FBO/service centers, and for a buy in fee of 1/6th or 1/8th of an aircraft you get access to one at any of their FBOs with a nominal hourly charge, and you can drop it off at any of their other FBOs. If I have mechanical issues enroute, I drop it off and jump in another and keep going...

If someone came out with this model of business for GA, it would be very successful, especially using a plane like the Cirrus.

So when are you starting it up? Sounds like a great idea!

I'd buy in right now if they had it in JAX

Has anybody learned how to fly in a Cirrus?

At N. Perry in Hollywood, FL, I picked up a private pilot student who had been struggling to get soloed in his own SR22.

I got him soloed in short order and then successfully through first his private, then his instrument.

I personally would prefer to teach in a simpler plane, but if one can afford to train in a Cirrus and has an instructor that can focus first on fundamentals, it certainly is doable*. I just think a lot of time has to be spent with the gadgets dimmed so one can focus on the basics at first and not be distracted.

*Isn't the Air Force using SR20's for primary training?

Last edited:
Back