What is it called when your auto transmission shifts down

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by kgruber, Jan 9, 2021 at 11:09 AM.

1. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Can’t even tell the difference between brands in a parking lot other than the badges. Ha.

Wife and I call them bubble butts. :)

2. Daleandee

Daleandee Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    This is most likely what you are feeling. I have a vehicle that I can feel the torque converter lock & unlock at times. At first it annoyed me but now I figure "as long as it's still pulling" everything is OK and it helps the fuel mileage. When towing it's necessary to put it into a lower gear to prevent this as towing in OD or with converter lockup can over heat the trans ...

3. Brad W

Brad W Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    BLW2
    I really don't understand the difference between most of them and a station wagon. SUV sounds cooler so they've stolen the name I suppose from real SUV's.
    My little e-tron is called a "compact SUV"...it's all wheel drive at least....but it's solidly a station wagon IMO

denverpilot likes this.
  4. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Lol true. They’re a few inches higher and most have some sort of wimpy AWD. Ha.

5. Everskyward

Everskyward Experimenter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    Also more boxy. I think of a station wagon as the kind of car the Brady Bunch had...

I worked for a mapping company at APA and we called the company car the Brady Bunch car. It was one of those old station wagons with the fake wood paneling on the sides.

6. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Heh. Boxy just means it has Windows you can actually see out of in the rear. LOL

7. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    The opening thread makes me appreciate that my car has just a single gear (motors are directly connected to the drive axles)

8. PilotThumper

PilotThumper Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Thumper
    Having your car in a lower gear puts additional strain on all the driveline of the car, not just the transmission.
    Entering a hill, unless excessively steep, will require very little brake effort to keep a reasonable speed. Putting the vehicle into a lower gear puts additional load on the driveline as well as additional wear on the engine.
    Your engine is still “combusting” when riding down a hill regresses of being on the throttle or not. It’s not simply compressing air. You are actually using the engines rotational forces to slow down the car which puts a considerable load on the whole drivetrain.

Many years of experience behind this view but do as you wish with your own property.

9. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Actually, most modern FI vehicles cut the fuel injectors above a certain RPM (1200 or so) on decel as a fuel saving measure. So yes, there is no combusting going on, just compressing air. As for putting forces on the engine, the forces of just compressing air are far less than the forces generated in the combustion chamber and on the driveline when on the throttle.

That said, in most instances, brakes are for stopping, and replacing brakes is far easier than replacing clutches and transmission components. OTOH, when driving sporty cars or motorcycles, I like to downshift into corners to get into the appropriate RPM band as this gives better control in the corner as well as better drive off the corner.