What is going on with Flight Watch?

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Last few flights when I try to contact them they never answer. Before anyone say they are not open 24/7 I am calling them in the middle of the day. This has happened in both Chicago FW and KC FW.

Anyone else noticing this?

Scott

Last edited:
Interesting...IIRC the contract with the new service provider contains SLAs specifically on responses from Flight Watch.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Interesting...IIRC the contract with the new service provider contains SLAs specifically on responses from Flight Watch.

Len
Isn't that just for calling FSS? I did not hear about anything for radioing them while in flight.

smigaldi said:
Isn't that just for calling FSS? I did not hear about anything for radioing them while in flight.

I'm about 90% sure I read it somewhere...I just did a few quick Googles and didn't come up with it but I bet it is documented on AOPA.ORG somewhere.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I'm about 90% sure I read it somewhere...I just did a few quick Googles and didn't come up with it but I bet it is documented on AOPA.ORG somewhere.

Len

In this case, it might actually be quicker to call them and ask. AOPA has a BUNCH of info to dig through on their site.

I know this question is more of the usual stuff like hours of operation, but you were 5,000' AGL or more, yes?

smigaldi said:
Len Lanetti said:

Len

You can automagically measure call response time on a PBX (phone) ACD, but there ain't such an animal for the radio. I suppose they can audit the tapes.

Ed Guthrie said:
I know this question is more of the usual stuff like hours of operation, but you were 5,000' AGL or more, yes?

Yes but just as apoint of reference I have reached them before form 3000 AGL without problems. It is usually if you can hear the VOR they can hear you. But this past week I tried several times at 7000MSL (6200AGL) and never was able to raise anyone.

I can understand why it would be a problem in NJ.

As you may or may not know, last September/October the roof literally fell in on the Millville FSS. Because of the takeover, the decision was made not to completely rebuild the FSS. At this time, they are providing service locally to Millville and on limited VORs (I believe RBV is one on 122.45) only during "daylight" hours. It's covered in the FDC NOTAMS.

It it supposed to get better when they completely transition Millville to Islip.

Ed Guthrie said:

I'm not challenging ya, but isn't it actually 5000' MSL? It was one of those things that made me double take when I saw MSL instead of AGL, that's why that stuck out to me.

MSmith said:
I can understand why it would be a problem in NJ.

As you may or may not know, last September/October the roof literally fell in on the Millville FSS. Because of the takeover, the decision was made not to completely rebuild the FSS. At this time, they are providing service locally to Millville and on limited VORs (I believe RBV is one on 122.45) only during "daylight" hours. It's covered in the FDC NOTAMS.

It it supposed to get better when they completely transition Millville to Islip.
Mark, when I talked to FSS they said that Islip and Williamsport were operating the RCO's of Millville. Maybe that transition isn't yet complete?

I know that when my instructor and I were shooting a few approaches at MIV, we called Millville Radio. Also, Williamsport FSS told me on the phone that Millville itself is covering a few RCO's.

I suspect that all of them will get transitioned to somebody else soon, but I guess it's not done yet.

Haven't noticed any trouble in the Denver area.

AFAIK there is not a Flight Watch desk at every FSS, just the one listed in the AF/D. One for each Center area.

Back