What is flight school like?

HatTrickHero11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HatTrickHero11
Can anyone give me an example of a days flight school lesson? I understand that there are different techniques, but just a good idea of what to expect when I start would be great!

It depends what kind of program you participate in. If its not an "intensive program" then look for 2-3 hours a day. Once you get started you should usually know what you are gong to work on during the lesson ie turns around a point, pilotage, flight planning.

you should have read the text book prior to arriving at the flight school.

When you arrive you may sit down with the CFI for 15 to 30 minutes and review what you read and what the CFI will teach you that day.

Check the Weather, Notams, and for any restrictions such as TFRs essentially get a breifing for your area and time of flight.

Go out and preflight the plane. In the beginning you will do this with your CFI after a short while you should be able to do this on your own.

Then go fly with the CFI for an hour to 1.5 hours +/-

Land and sit down with the CFI to review the days lesson what you did well and what you need to work on then get a short breif on what you need to study next.

After your lesson its always good to hang around the airport and absorb the culture:D

This is just an approximation. Every school and independant CFIs may do things differently.

When I'm doing accelerated courses, expect it to be like working a full-time job.

Arrive at the airport around 7-8 AM (depending on the weather, schedule). Spend an hour or two going over the day's plan, checking weather, and the morning ground school lesson. Go fly for another hours or so with the lesson, come back, debrief.

Eat lunch. Repeat process in the afternoon. At the end of the day, discuss what homework needs to be done in preparation for the next day.

Back