What is different about a Mooney "B" model

mauricefrompolo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney E
I am in the process of looking for a Mooney to purchase. I realize that the Model "B" was made for only one year and that it was the first all metal version. The only thing I can find different on a "B" to an early "C" is the engine model 180 hp "A1A" vs "A1D". Am I missing something here or is that the only difference?
:mad2:

Maurice, the "B" has hundreds of screws holding panels on. They are a PITA espcially at 50 years old.

If you have a choice, IMO you want the A1A engine. It doesn't have the dual mag drive which (somebody correct me!) the "D" in "A1D" signifies. It has two single drives, and you'll get many many opinions on the siamese mag.

You might want to ask Lance F on this site about his dual mag failure but IIRC the drive was not the failure.

?Polo, Illinois?

TCDS attached for Mooneys within you will find the differences. Take note of the max weight and speeds. Neither engine is of the "dual mag" type.

Attachments

• 2A3.pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Mike,
Thanks for posting the pdf. I only had a paper copy and wanted it on digits. You saved me a little bit of time looking for it.

Brian

If you have a choice, IMO you want the A1A engine. It doesn't have the dual mag drive which (somebody correct me!) the "D" in "A1D" signifies. It has two single drives, and you'll get many many opinions on the siamese mag.

For Lycomings, generally the "D" signifies the dual mag (which for those who don't know is both mags in one unit) if it's the 3rd or 4th character in the string after the displacement. Example:

TIO-540-J2BD

T = turbocharged
I = injected
O = opposed
540 = 540 cubic inches
D = dual mag
As to J2B? Beats me what that means, but it means something.

If it's the 3rd letter, however, it usually does not signify that it's a dual mag. The letter and the position are both of significance. At least, that's my understanding. I could be wrong (it's happened before).

Thanks guys,

I did a little more research I found the following:

O-360-A1A180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. The base model. A four cylinder, horizontally opposed, air cooled, direct drive engine which includes provisions for supplying oil through the propeller shaft for installation of a single-acting controllable pitch propeller. First certified 20 July 1955.

O-360-A1AD180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A1A except it is equipped with a Bendix D4LN-2021 dual magneto instead of two single magnetos.

O-360-A1C180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A1A except with a rear mounted Bendix carburetor and 200 series magnetos.

O-360-A1D180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A1A except with Bendix 200 series magnetos.

Maybe this will be of some help to someone else besides me.

:yesnod:

Last edited:
That sounds correct, note that the A1AD is the one that has a dual mag, and the rest have two mags.

Although why the letters "AD" were put in an engine designation is beyond me...

Back