What is/are your favorite dystopian movies

Moving away from film for a moment, one of the best post-apocalyptic books I enjoyed was Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle - it makes Deep Impact and Armageddon look like walks in the park.
'Gimp

I have that book, too. It's a good yarn.

"Dark Star" is one of the few films that takes on the taboo subject of teaching phenomenalism to intelligent bombs.

"Dark Star" is one of the few films that takes on the taboo subject of teaching phenomenalism to intelligent bombs.

OMG how did I forget Dark Star. Watched that with a friend of my parent's and her boyfriend when I was fairly young (teens maybe). Love the ending.

'Gimp

On the Beach is my favorite (the original, haven't seen the remake)
Silent Running a close second
Two of the stories in Cloud Atlas qualify.

If someone is going to throw Space Hunter in (my God it was bad), then I bring to you:

Ice Pirates - not dystopian in the way I meant, pure sci-fi schlock - but a true and utter guilty pleasure.

Bad, bad movie. But some memorable lines.

And for a couple of dystopian movies:

Terminator.
Reign of Fire.

Wow, don't need movies to see dystopia, hell, this board is about as dystopian as anything I want to see. Donnie Darko is an interesting twist on a dystopian theme though.

The Atlas Shrugged movies are chock full of dystopia. See how long this stays out of spin zone now.

Logan's Run - another one that seemed much farther fetched in '76 than it does now, oh yeah, and Farrah Fawcet

Jenny Agutter sure has aged well too. I was 14 when I saw this movie in 1976 and had a massive crush on her like millions of other teenage boys who saw her in that little green outfit back then :D . Farrah was hot back then too, but Jenny definitely stole that show for, ummmm, the rather obvious reasons :ihih:

Last edited:
Jenny Agutter sure has aged well too. I was 14 when I saw this movie in 1976 and had a massive crush on her like millions of other teenage boys who saw her in that little green outfit back then :D . Farrah was hot back then too, but Jenny definitely stole that show for, ummmm, the rather obvious reasons :ihih:
Both of 'em.

Fight Club an excellent example of a pre-dystopian movie

Another one is on right now on TV....Cherry 2000.

I am NOT Sergeant Pinback.

Looked up the def'n: A typical dystopia paints a picture of government or society attempting to exert control over free thought, authority, energy, freedom of information.Others focus on systematic discrimination and limitations based on a variety of factors - genetics, fertility, intelligence, and age being a few examples.

Another movie, not mentioned so far is Gattaca. (Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law, Ernest Borgnine) I thought it was interesting how people with physical limitations when they put in the ID, it came back as invalid -- expired; but also meant invalid as a person who is confined to a bed.

This was one of the few distopian movies that my wife enjoyed -- Ethan Hawk and Jude Law may have had something to do with it.

Back